CHB34 air in waterlines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonkvt

Vessel Make
CHB34
I’m an ecstatic captain of Banshee, a 1985 CHB34. Just bought her for a live aboard.
I replaced a water tank and now have just air in the faucets. 20 minutes later I’m writing you for advice.

Congratulations on your new vessel. And, welcome to Trawler Forum.

It is often a good idea to verify that all faucets are completely shut off. For me that generally means I've left the cockpit shower spigot Almost closed. A partially opened faucet can mess things up.

Another thing to verify is your hose clamps. Boats vibrate and clamps can loosen, thus letting air into your system. Tighten the hose clamps.

I will leave more in depth troubleshooting to the experts. Good luck though, and welcome.

Congrats on your new Boat !
I will assume that your water tank however, is the faucets blowing air or it is actually sucking air. if it is sucking air then your pump is reversed.

Fill the hot water tank first (might have to release air through the blow off valve) and then all hot water lines. Then go on to the cold water side.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. We will need photos...

Thank you for your assistance. I bled the line as you suggested and I’m happy with running water.
Another novice question: How long do I leave the Fresh Water Pump on? What is its purpose? It seems to mot stop. Is it something I need to turn on and off? I appreciate my bilge pumps that work when needed.

That pump should stop via its pressure switch, when all faucets/outlets are off. If it is not stopping, then you still have a leak somewhere, preventing the pressure building up enough to switch off the pump. Or the pump itself is faulty, or not designed for this purpose, and is without this essential pressure switch. :nonono:

Do some troubleshooting to confirm whether there is a leak, the pump is sucking air or the pressure switch is defective. If you are getting air in the faucet water flow sucking air is a strong possibility. The plastic filter s reel housing on the pump inlet is a frequent culprit... either loose or cracked... but can be replaced separately.
Providing make & model here may provide better responses.
I do know that my pump is a variable speed one and had a pressure switch fail leaving the pump running continuously. When I checked the P Sw was no longer available and I ended up replacing the pump.
An older model I had there was a Press Adjustment screw at the pump end and by exercising the adjustment I got it to operate after spring commissioning it was running continuously.
Most mfg have decent documentation online and if you search make / model # often you can find a parts list. That will indicate whether there is a replaceable pressure switch or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom