View Single Post
Old 05-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
omoore
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: Southern Lady
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 1971 Woodie
Generator runs, no power

You didn't cite the make. Assuming by now you have checked switches as suggested. A generator can be running perfectly when shut down and not produce current when started up again. The most common culprit is the voltage regular which is a board which can be easily detached and sent out to a dealer for checking.
Over the years, I have come to trust Flight Systems. The company specializes in generator controls. FS has a quick 3-day turnaround. I have found them to be totally reputable--returning boards that were not defective.
If it is not the regulator, you should check the bridge rectifier. The procedure will be outlined in a factory service manual. If not have the tech do it.

From there you will have to flash the armature, check the brushes if you have an older unit, or the diodes if it is self-energizing. In the unlikely event should have a shorted stator or rotor it is probably not worth repairing. Depending on the generator you might find someone replacing theirs because it is mechanically worn out. The electronics will be working. I did that once with an older Onan.

Good luck!
omoore is offline   Reply With Quote