Noobie Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crap - its gas...

The 32's are probably mostly gas...and diesels are gonna drive the price up a good $10 grand in many cases.

If you like that boat...and you are set on diesel/your price range...the Mainship 34s are a big market to farm.

Very Helpful

TY - good feedback.

Bayliners are probably the most numerous production brand in the PNW, not surprising since a lot of their models were built here. Owners take them everywhere--- BC islands, SE Alaska, etc.

All boat makes have their strong and weak points. But the reputation of boat brands is, I think, more about the owners than about the boats. Bayliners tend to be less expensive than many other brands which means they are affordable to a larger market. Which in turn means that some or many are purchased by more casual boaters than the sort of people who participate in forums like this.

I've met people with Bayliners who use them as dock queens and people with Bayliners who go to Desolation Sound, Alaska, Haida Gwai, and the west coast of Vancouver Island in them. I've also met Gand Banks owners in each of those same camps.

Looked at Mainships and they are fine - just don't care for them and really want to get away from a vberth into something approximating a real bed. The 32' Bayliner diesels -some are 1987 and younger for under $25K. I just have to be patient.

Check out Used 1989 Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, Chesapeake City MD - 101830901 - BoatTrader.com. Maybe it's in terrible condition, but it's what I am looking for...

What gives those boats a lot of interior room is the engines are under the cockpit (I think)...if they are...not too many older boats I know in that price range that the engines aren't trashed if salt water boats...just a hazard of cockpit engines...plus now all the decent storage for a cruise is gone. Even though the base engines could be one big rust nut....they will be fine after you spend several thousand or more bolting the moving parts back on.

Take a long look at that berth...you may be begging for that v-berth back. Making it up and getting in and out can be a struggle. Manv vee's can also be modified into a double or island/slanted queen without too much modification.

Again, I appreciate your perspective and it's good for me to look at these boats wit a sharp eye and some emotional detachment. The engines are under the cockpit, as far as I know - so close inspection is warranted. The berth is somewhat negotiable...

What gives those boats a lot of interior room is the engines are under the cockpit (I think)...if they are...not too many older boats I know in that price range that the engines aren't trashed if salt water boats...just a hazard of cockpit engines...plus now all the decent storage for a cruise is gone. Even though the base engines could be one big rust nut....they will be fine after you spend several thousand or more bolting the moving parts back on.

Take a long look at that berth...you may be begging for that v-berth back. Making it up and getting in and out can be a struggle. Manv vee's can also be modified into a double or island/slanted queen without too much modification.

veprjack,
I was the guy that first mentioned Bayliners. The one you listed in Delran NJ is in the next marina over from me. there is another one at Dredge Harbor, also in Delran. they are a large Bayliner dealer. you might want to look at dealers in your area. they take boats in trade and often don't list them on Yachworld.
If you come to NJ to look, there is a late 70's 33' Trojan express cruiser (no fly bridge) for sale in our marina. the owner is in a wheel chair and cannot use the boat. it has brand new Crusader (gas) engines, brand new transmissions, new wiring and plumbing, (and new fuel and water tanks i think) the only thing wrong with this boat is he tried to put a hard top on it and made a mess of the job. He wants $15K for the boat. (he has put over $60k into it) You could take the boat right next door to Cherubini Yachts (google them), take your other $15K and have them put a real hardtop on it. For your original $30K you would have a brand new boat. It would not be a trawler but you could run it at hull speed and have one hell of a boat.
John

veprjack,
I was the guy that first mentioned Bayliners. The one you listed in Delran NJ is in the next marina over from me. there is another one at Dredge Harbor, also in Delran. they are a large Bayliner dealer. you might want to look at dealers in your area. they take boats in trade and often don't list them on Yachworld.
If you come to NJ to look, there is a late 70's 33' Trojan express cruiser (no fly bridge) for sale in our marina. the owner is in a wheel chair and cannot use the boat. it has brand new Crusader (gas) engines, brand new transmissions, new wiring and plumbing, (and new fuel and water tanks i think) the only thing wrong with this boat is he tried to put a hard top on it and made a mess of the job. He wants $15K for the boat. (he has put over $60k into it) You could take the boat right next door to Cherubini Yachts (google them), take your other $15K and have them put a real hardtop on it. For your original $30K you would have a brand new boat. It would not be a trawler but you could run it at hull speed and have one hell of a boat.
John

pretty good advice...:thumb:

Wow!

That is a helluva deal. I was told to avoid gas because the engines don't like salt, the tanks rot out, and the Fuel costs are up to 20 times that of diesel. If I go to Cape Cod, it would cost me $40.00 each way in diesel, but anywhere from $100 to $300 for gas.

However, since the guy's engines are new, that eliminates prob one. If the tanks are new, same with problem 2. For a bargain, I could prob live with cost of short trips, but if I ever wanted to start seriously cruising...

Don't mean to sound ungrateful - I appreciate the help, and if I come to NJ (used to live in Morris Plains), I would look at that boat! Is the hard top butchered? Rest of boat ok cosmetically? Hey, for $15 K, don't mean to be picky:blush:

Thanks again - I will google that model.

veprjack,
John

Googled the model and :rofl: found this one 300 yards from my boat - For more information about this

Yeah, the engines are RED flags, but if they were ok and I could get the boat for $15 or even less.. The guy is MOTIVATED! How much would serious repair or replacement run? Hmmmmm

I appreciate all the help from the kind and knowledgeable people on this forum, especially in light of the fact that I will probably not end up with a trawler.

What is a trawler anyway?
I'm just in the process of purchasing an ex-trawler. What does that make it now?

009.jpg

This is the girl I have been looking for. Have patience and you'll find yours.

Wow!

She's a beauty! Wow!

I just don't think my $30k budget is adequate for a decent boat that won't require repairs beyond my skills. I don't want a "dock condo", which is what I can afford now. The boats I've looked at need at least $15k in TLC in addition to asking prices exceeding $20k. I just don't think I can find something I would be happy with.

An Albin 27' aft cabin is in another solar system, but I am going to look at one this week; very little TLC and she's good to go with an engine that has 360 hours on it. Perhaps a bit of a Spartan lifestyle, but...
1985 Albin Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If the Albin doesn't work out, maybe I should wait for the snow to fly and find a DEAL? OK, I'll try more patience... Thanks for your help and patience with this frustrated and confused noob.
What is a trawler anyway?
I'm just in the process of purchasing an ex-trawler. What does that make it now?

View attachment 12624

This is the girl I have been looking for. Have patience and you'll find yours.

Attachments

• 3751788_20111014080353_1_LARGE.jpg
    3751788_20111014080353_1_LARGE.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Hmmmmm

I believe my marina allows them as a smaller version is here now. Frankly, I might just be interested. If I had a "Real" home like that, I prob wouldn't need to travel as much. I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel? Could be a project boat?

As you can see, I am flexible - some would say all over the place... TY for suggestions!

Had my marina allowed at the time...I would have bought this in a heartbeat (providing it wasn't trashed that the pics don't show.)

1985 Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda Aft Cabin Power Boat For Sale -

Florida...here I come! Maybe even the Bahamas when the time was right.;)

I'm paying $50K for the ex trawler, and the average boat is double the US price here in Australia as there hasn't been much of a price drop. By that logic, you should be able to find the same there for $25K.
I was giving up hope as well before I came across her. With a wood hull, a lot of people are put off and they don't sell as quick. I've had a smaller wooden hull boat before so I knew what to watch out for. This one appears to be in great shape.
Maybe that is an option for you.

I believe my marina allows them as a smaller version is here now. Frankly, I might just be interested. If I had a "Real" home like that, I prob wouldn't need to travel as much. I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel? Could be a project boat?

As you can see, I am flexible - some would say all over the place... TY for suggestions!

The nice thing about that Barracuda is the twin inboard v-drives...allows a lot of flexibility.

You can run that boat on one engine at low speeds and it wouldn't kill you. My plan was to ultimately repower so with the inboard version...a couple of smaller diesels from highway generators or light towers can be picked up at auction for a song (my last boss used to get them all the time)...or can the inboards and hang a 100hp four stroke outboard (or a couple in the 50 range. Both can be done without much expense (less than $10,000) but wouldn't pay for themselves unless you were cruising back and forth to Florida every year and more. Plus...you would be wise to make sure the rest of the boat was gonna last long enough and satisfy you enough to warrant the change...unless you blow an engine and then the caculator should definitely come out.

Last edited:
Incredible!

I will try and be patient, but... If I could find a boat like yours for $25K, even wood - I would have to look at it!

Best of luck. Please post pics and comments as you progress.

I'm paying $50K for the ex trawler, and the average boat is double the US price here in Australia as there hasn't been much of a price drop. By that logic, you should be able to find the same there for $25K.
I was giving up hope as well before I came across her. With a wood hull, a lot of people are put off and they don't sell as quick. I've had a smaller wooden hull boat before so I knew what to watch out for. This one appears to be in great shape.
Maybe that is an option for you.

Very interesting! Diesels would make this boat incredible...

The nice thing about that Barracuda is the twin inboard v-drives...allows a lot of flexibility.

You can run that boat on one engine at low speeds and it wouldn't kill you. My plan was to ultimately repower so with the inboard version...a couple of smaller diesels from highway generators or light towers can be picked up at auction for a song (my last boss used to get them all the time)...or can the inboards and hang a 100hp four stroke outboard (or a couple in the 50 range. Both can be done without much expense (less than $10,000) but wouldn't pay for themselves unless you were cruising back and forth to Florida every year and more. Plus...you would be wise to make sure the rest of the boat was gonna last long enough and satisfy you enough to warrant the change...unless you blow an engine and then the caculator should definitely come out.

Check the classifieds for my Uniflite! Perfect liveaboard and priced right!! Jim

That is a helluva deal. I was told to avoid gas because the engines don't like salt, the tanks rot out, and the Fuel costs are up to 20 times that of diesel. .

You are talking to some very uninformed people. You only have to go as far as the corner gas station to determine that gasoline and diesel costs are pretty close.

As far as the engines not liking salt, both gasoline and diesel engines are made of iron so there's no difference. What you want to look for is a closed cooling system where the seawater doesn't cool the engine, it cools a coolant solution in a heat exchanger.

I don't know about tanks rotting out, but gasoline and diesel fuel are similar in their effect and metal, plastic, or fiberglass tanks. Water in the fuel or on the outside of the tank is what causes it to fail.

There have been some documented cases of ethanol laced gasoline damaging fiberglass fuel tanks. That is the only tank related difference to be concerned with.

For a live aboard boat, I would be more comfortable with diesel than gasoline because of the fire or explosion danger in the event of a leak. Of course, a well maintained fuel system that's inspected on a regular basis would minimize this risk.

...... I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel?

By far, the biggest factor in fuel costs for a boat is speed. Want to go fast? It will cost you. You are moving a lot of water to get your boat where you want it to go.

Slow dow and watch your fuel costs take a dramatic drop. My 31 day cruise was 763 NM (878 SM) and consumed 239 gallons of fuel. That's 3.39 NMPG or 3.67 SMPG. Average speed was 7 knots.

Fuel costs vary depending on where and when, but I spent $1,006 on fuel for the trip.

For the most part, you see a lot more if you slow down.

There is one thing that you may consider is an ex commercial fishing boat.

Many are well cared for. Seaworthy with living quarters.

That was my choice.

I am sort of handy at fixing/modifying things. If you are, it could be an alternative.

Just a thought.

Sd

Last edited:
Fuel doesn't rot out tanks (with the exception of the ethenol/biofuel/fiberglass tank combination mentioned by Ron). Tanks fail primarily from rust on the outside which forms when moisture can get onto them and stay there. A very typical scenario is rain water and spry getting under failed or failing seals around deck fill fittings and then migrating down the fill hoses to puddle on top of the tanks. This is a problem encountered in boats like GBs, for example

Also, if the tanks are mounted on platforms and moisture can run down the tank and get between the tank and the platform, that can start the rust-out process.

THe ideal tank material seems to be what companies like Grand Banks and others are using now, which is composites. Totally inert material not affected by anything.

I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel?

We are leaving this Saturday for a 10-12 day cruise in the Gulf Islands in BC. I did a rough calculation of how far we might to go we could make sure we had enough fuel on board for the trip. (You DON'T want to be buying fuel in Canada.)

Our boat burns about 6 gph at 1650 rpm (1 gph per 20 hp, engines develop 60 hp at about 1600 rpm, so 3 gph per engine and there's two of them). So my rough figuring showed we'll need about 170 gallons for the trip which will cover a maximum of about 200 miles. Diesel is selling in Bellingham for $4.07 a gallon as of last weekend. So our fuel cost for the trip will be $690 plus tax. Looks like a lot until you compare it the round-trip airfare for two people to France, which was our other vacation option this year.

A single engine boat going slower will burn significantly less fuel on the same trip, but then you'd be driving a single engine boat going even slower. Both of which suck as far as we're concerned, so we're happy to spend the $700 bucks. :)

Last edited:
Lots of good info on tanks, fuel, and consumption! I can't go very fast now with a Yanmar 11HP anyway... lol. But if I go over to gas, that will certainly change!

TY all.

One thing we were told about the bayliners is watch out for the hino motors--heard they were hard too find parts for and parts are expensive. Not sure the truth to that- maybe others have info on this. Hear lots about other motor manufactures on this forum but never about hino.

We have many friends w bay liners of all sizes and don't know any not happy w their boat. When they complain about what they spend on gas, keep in mind they're PROBABLY running two or three times trawler speed. :). All about priorities.

Someone mentioned how hard it is to make up the bunk when only one side is accessible. I find v berths just as bad. One of our buds gets around this by using a sleeping bag. No thanks! Just one of those things we deal w in exchange for the joy of boating.

Crap - its gas...
Looks like you found a good boat and an idea well worth pursuing. Now to find one with diesel engines and genset; it might cost a little more, or maybe not, if you are lucky.
I know views differ about gas v diesel,but it would be a dealbreaker for me. I`ve seen the results of a gas explosion on a timber cruiser, not pretty, a risk to avoid, however remote, however careful you are. In my humble opinion. BruceK

If I go to Cape Cod, it would cost me $40.00 each way in diesel, but anywhere from $100 to $300 for gas.

Nonsense!

While a great modern diesel operating at high load might produce 20 hp from a gal of fuel, the usual more rational number ,for many reasons, is closer to 16,

The usual car marinization will almost always give 10 -11 hp from a gallon of fuel.

A modern electronic controlled gaser can do 14.

Gas does not get as inefficient as diesel at less than heavy loading.

So $40 worth of diesel motion will run you $60 bucks in gas .

Figure in the cost of oil in quarts , not gallons, A set of 8 spark plugs at $2.00 each with injector rebuilds at $60 minimum each, and perhaps an injection pump ($1200) vs a gas fuel pump for perhaps $20.

Fuel is not the only cost , and pushing a displacement boat only takes a very few HP, frequently under 50 , the Gas vs Diesel usually comes down for gas.

Especially at yachty use 100-200 hours a year.

The times diesel shines is 1000-2000 hours a year ,

or a high speed boat that uses 40-60 gph of diesel and would need 60-90 of gas if operated frequently.

Replacement costs? Under $5000 for a good factory brand new long block, diesel rebuild , call around.

FF

Last edited:
Maybe I should have been more specific - I was referring to fuel consumption of MY very different options in boats;it's not a fair apples to apples comparison, just between two of my choices.

For example, a 27' Albin with a 78hp diesel Nissan going 7 knots vs a 33' Trojan with twin gas at around 400 hp cruising at 20 knots was a very rough example(in my head). Two very different boats, but even factoring in how much faster you'd get to Cape Cod, if I were paying for fuel, I'd gladly allow you to wave to me on the way by!

Your explanation of fuel consumption was valuable for me to use in comparing more realistic options. And I appreciated the comparison of replacement/rebuild, etc. costs - must be weighed to do a realistic operating cost comparison. I'm new at this and learning, so I appreciate the help!

If I end up with a houseboat, in a headwind I'll be in tears watching the fuel gauge. Lol...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom