View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I use Interlux bottom paint too. But one comment about that. If it is a yard supplying and painting the boat. Be sure they are giving you a good quality product. I learned my lesson two years ago for not asking questions. When I made arrangements with my usual yard to do my haul out and bottom work, they gave me a package price and I never thought to ask about the paint as I knew they use Interlux.

It looked great when it came out of the yard, but within 6 months was growing grass and slime at the waterline. When I asked them about that, they said it was ablative paint and that is the way it works. It washed off when I went out for a run alright, but this spring the growth came back with a vengeance. Looks like a vegetable garden and doesn't wash off now. My diver reported barnacle growth here and there and commented the paint was worn out, needs to be hauled in his report? He was astonished that it was just two summers on the paint.

Turns out they used Interlux Micron bottom of the line paint. The Interlux rep who came down to the boat said it looks like it is flaking off instead of wearing off and it probably wasn't applied according to the manufactures instructions. He thinks the paint will crack up and all fall off when it's hauled, pressure washed and allowed to dry. I hope he's right about the "fall off" part, sure don't want to scrape it. He personally recommended a better grade of Interlux paint which was either Extra or Plus. I will be hauling out next month, so we will see what the yard has to say.

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote