How are Flybridge Backrests fastened to fibreglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PocketAces

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pocket Aces
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T '08
Hi, I am going to replace the flybridge cushions and backrests in my Mainship 34 T (08). It is not at all clear how the backrests are fastened to the flybridge sides. I can think of three possibilities
1. They were simply glued on
2. There are mounting bolds in the side fibreglass and the backrests have openings which drop onto the mountings. You would slide the backrest up and then pull back to remove.
3. They are through bolted with the fastenings nuts in very obscure and hard to reach places.

Can anyone verify? The folks who are going to replace the cushions think it would be #3 above saying backrests would be done right at the end of the construction and hence they would have to be reachable by a nimble human being.
Thanks.
Tony, Pocket Aces, Mainship '08T

I'm not familiar with the flybridge cushions but many brands simply screw them on through a pleat or joint between cushion sections. Oval head ate sometimes hard to find and rarely visible. Sometimes running a screwdriver bit along the pleat will find something hard metal vs the soft vinyl.

On my 400, there is hardware on both the boat and cushions, both "L" shaped, facing up on the boat, down on the cushion. They hook into each other and the cushion hangs on the hardware. Nothing hidden, cushions are easily removeable.

Skip
Tampa

Hi, I am going to replace the flybridge cushions and backrests in my Mainship 34 T (08). It is not at all clear how the backrests are fastened to the flybridge sides. I can think of three possibilities

1. They were simply glued on

2. There are mounting bolds in the side fibreglass and the backrests have openings which drop onto the mountings. You would slide the backrest up and then pull back to remove.

3. They are through bolted with the fastenings nuts in very obscure and hard to reach places.

Can anyone verify? The folks who are going to replace the cushions think it would be #3 above saying backrests would be done right at the end of the construction and hence they would have to be reachable by a nimble human being.

Thanks.

Tony, Pocket Aces, Mainship '08T

On my 06 34T there were bolts from the cushions secured with wing nuts - I had to stick my head into the under-seat locker and peer up to see them. Then easy to unscrew the wing nuts and remove the cushions (if you have reasonably long arms).

Thanks for the very helpful replies. I just checked and lo and behold, I found the wing nuts without even having to be nimble! I often over-think these things! So my cushion and backrest project can continue...

Tony
Pocket Aces, Mainship '08 34T

Correct, the back rests are attached with bolts and wing nut. I removed/replaced mine. One of the bolts however did require me to 'climb in' the access hole to reach it. I am 6ft and 170 lbs and it was tight!

I’m not sure there is an accurate answer. I’ve read the replies, and I only WISH mine (2005 Mainship 400 Trawler) had some sort of hardware holding them in place. They were put on with adhesive backed industrial Velcro. The adhesive gave up the first summer they spent in the Miami heat. I’m going to have to dive in and install some robust hardware. It is obvious to me that, at least mine, didn’t come from the factory with real hardware holding these in place. There is no evidence of any prior holes where hardware would have come through the fiberglass structure.

Keith: I am also over 6' with long arms like an orangutang, so I think I am good there :)
Like all things boating, suppliers etc are really busy in Vancouver this year, so I had to make an appointment next year for doing the flybridge upholstery work.

Back
Top Bottom