If you need insurance, here is who to call!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewismd007

I just wanted to post what an awesome experience I've had with Peter @ Novamar (Pau Hana on this forum). I am insuring an older (1982) Kadey Krogen 42 and had reached out to several providers and groups and HANDS DOWN Peter blew them all away. He knows his stuff and will make you feel very comfortable. He provided me with several options to choose from and helped guide me to what best suited my needs (and it wasn't the most expensive option). If you are in the market for insurance give him a call 206-350-5051 you won't be disappointed.

I have been friends with Peter Ricks for over two decades.

He is as good as it gets.

Yup, helped us out on our 1982 boat as well! And we got a Coffee Cup too!:D

Peter: Now you're going to have a run on coffee cups!:dance:

Well, I was going to chime in and wax lyrical about what a class act Mr. Pete is, and about how it's been so nice working with a fellow liveaboard who understands what I need better than I do, and about how I've really enjoyed every chat I've had with him, that was before I learned about the coffee mugs.

I didn't get a coffee mug. Pete, I thought we were friends?

I think I need some time alone.

I would agree. Just purchased our policy for a 1974 Tollycraft 26 Sedan from Pete.

Well, I was going to chime in and wax lyrical about what a class act Mr. Pete is, and about how it's been so nice working with a fellow liveaboard who understands what I need better than I do, and about how I've really enjoyed every chat I've had with him, that was before I learned about the coffee mugs.

I didn't get a coffee mug. Pete, I thought we were friends?

I think I need some time alone.

LMAO Dave!:D Maybe I shouldn't mention . . .well. . never mind . . .

Novamar mugs version 2.0 are in production :D

Appreciate the kind words, folks...just doing the best I can to serve.

This thread should be a good reminder every time there's criticism of Insurance Agents or Brokers or Surveyors or other professional groups, that there are those like Peter. He's well known and well liked and at the top of the group but there are many very professional marine insurance brokers and we all need to search for and find and use those. There are excellent and professional boat brokers and surveyors and marinas and boatyards as well. The challenge is finding the good and utilizing them.

I've never used Peter but I've referred several to him over time based on his reputation. I've seen others recommended on this site. I remind people that the first step isn't finding a policy, it's finding a quality marine insurance broker. I'd also say I doubt Peter would be with Novamar if they weren't quality (he wouldn't associate himself with the wrong type company) and I've heard other of their agents in other areas recommended by others. Also, just go to their site and look at the Underwriters they use and understand then if anyone can help you, they likely can.

Ditto - Peter just helped me with insurance on my new boat. Great guy, excellent resources and gets it done at a very competitive price. I'm looking forward to my new coffee cup, too!

Peter is a class act, extremely responsive, and an overall righteous dude. We bought our insurance through him and recommend him to anyone looking for coverage.

(Not a mug ho, just a satisfied customer. :D )

I am in market for a first time boat, but COVID, lack of boat inventory, and high prices have "scuttled" that for this year, hopefully next year.

My location is in Miami, and it appears you are in NW, can you/do you work in FL?

I am in market for a first time boat, but COVID, lack of boat inventory, and high prices have "scuttled" that for this year, hopefully next year.

My location is in Miami, and it appears you are in NW, can you/do you work in FL?

Yup and yup. :D

I'll respond to your PM. Things can be a bit more challenging as a first time vessel owner, but I'll help you walk thru the process.

P

I contacted Novamar in Mexico and was advised they will not provide hull insurance for boats over 30 yrs old.

Well, I just got my renewal offer from Progressive. And it's more than doubled since last year. So it's shopping time. Of course it's the middle of the season and my last survey is 3.5 years old, so I'm probably going to end up stuck paying to haul and re-survey in the middle of the season...

Peter, when you have a chance, please PM me and let's see what you can find.

It's time for me to get serious about looking into boat insurance. I've made a few offers over this year. No deals were made. I think it's a matter of time before I land a deal and will need it.

Same here, just got my renewal from Progressive. Rate increase of 150%... I've never made a claim.

I called the usual suspects to get some competitive quotes, and all of them said my boat was too old... Very frustrating

Same here, just got my renewal from Progressive. Rate increase of 150%... I've never made a claim.

I called the usual suspects to get some competitive quotes, and all of them said my boat was too old... Very frustrating

I talked to Progressive about that, they were able to re-quote at a better rate (about a 40% increase), but Peter was able to beat their quote with somewhat better coverage as well. Now I just have to find a few minutes during business hours to give him a call back to do the final paperwork.

We are using him as well for our impending purchase...Great pre-sale service.

Just an FYI, that should apply across the board: be sure to read (and understand) Progressive’s fine print. I had my previous boat with them for 5 years, no claims, and was advised they would cover my ‘new’ 1980 boat. Since I had disappearing deductible and 5 years w/ no claims, theoretically my deductible would be eliminated on my next claim. BUT, if you read the actual policy, that does not apply to a claim during a named storm; in that case the deductible was a minimum $10k. Kind of a big difference, and why I opted for another insurer with much more reasonable coverage for not much more.

Just an FYI, that should apply across the board: be sure to read (and understand) Progressive’s fine print. I had my previous boat with them for 5 years, no claims, and was advised they would cover my ‘new’ 1980 boat. Since I had disappearing deductible and 5 years w/ no claims, theoretically my deductible would be eliminated on my next claim. BUT, if you read the actual policy, that does not apply to a claim during a named storm; in that case the deductible was a minimum $10k. Kind of a big difference, and why I opted for another insurer with much more reasonable coverage for not much more.

Progressive is well known for a simple strategy as to marine insurance. Offer less for less. Find a way to reduce potential payouts and have a lower priced policy. Definitely not a bargain.

Progressive is well known for a simple strategy as to marine insurance. Offer less for less. Find a way to reduce potential payouts and have a lower priced policy. Definitely not a bargain.

All of which is fine, if its understood. I was borderline misled (i’m being polite) by the first rep I spoke to on the phone, and when I called again and asked specifics, that rep was learning on the job about these little details. Huh.

Definitely not worth going with them to save a couple hundred bucks a year on what is by nature a frivolous expense in the first place.

But anyway, glad to hear there are GOOD options out there. I wound up finding a different one in this case but may give this Peter fellow a ring just to double check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom