View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #15
Iggy
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
Uh, well, no. 200 gallons of water weighs ~1400 lbs. The tanks are located approximately six feet aft of the center of buoyancy, which is close to midships on the Pacific Trawler 40. The "weight to submerge an inch" (a measure of the trim sensitivity of the boat) is several thousand pounds an inch. To measure a one-inch change in waterline submersion at the transom would require approximately 2000 pounds placed AT THE TRANSOM. Removing 200 gallons of water from a location about 14' forward will result in an immeasurable trim change.

All this info is from a former owner of a Pacific Trawler (me) who attempted to correct a bow-down trim state caused by the three foot transom extension added by Pacific Trawler to create the 40' version. I found the boat needs about 2000 lbs. of lead in the lazarette to trim properly, even with all water and fuel tanks full.

In my experience with my Pacific Trawler 40, those 200 gallons of house water was more than sufficient for my needs, even on extended trips throughout the PNW. I soon learned to re-water after a week or so underway, and never ran out. And never missed a water tank gauge. Your mileage may differ, of course, but one of the many virtues of the Pacific Trawler 40 is it's ample tankage.

Regards,

Pete
Thank you! Great to know.