Boat Yard Recommendations for the St. Johns River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Hello all of you attractive young people.

I find myself with more money than usual, and less time to spend it than usual. I figure if I can't use the boat for cruising, I may as well take the opportunity to have some work done. She's currently in Brunswick, GA, but I have very little faith in their boat yard. I'm considering relocating to somewhere nearby, possibly in the Jax area, where I can hire a small army of trustworthy and skilled tradeswizards to descend upon my humble ark, and lavish her with love and maintenance and improvements.

I'd like to have her hauled, since it's been almost two years now since her bum was last dry. She needs a general inspection of the wetted surface and running gear, replaced anodes, and some seacock maintenance and repairs.

I'd like to install air conditioning.

My refrigerator has also recently died, and that needs to be repaired or replaced.

I'd also like to finally get that damn sun shade fabricated over the sundeck. I've heard good things about Morgan Metals in the Jax area, and will try to hire them for the job. Top Stitch canvas is already working on some window shades for me, and they can do the soft parts of the aft deck shade. Hopefully Morgan can also modify my anchor pulpit so that I can bring the hook all the way home and not dig into the bow any more.

There are a few other piddly little projects, like installing my new swim ladder, and doing a 250 hour service on Perkins, and a service on the genny.

Where would you take your sweetheart for a refit like this? Is the St. Johns a fairly safe hurricane hole? She'll likely be there for the bulk of hurricane season.

Thanks in advance! You look great today, by the way.

I would look at one of the yards on the Ortega River. Huckins, Lamb’s or Sadler Point.

I don't know anything about it other than living nearby and it looks like lots of activity there...Holland Marine & or Green Cove Springs Marina....both in Green Cove Springs

I think that the Marina is a big DIY place, and Holland looks to be what you're looking for...

Again, I know nothing of their reputation or abilities....

I think Larry M has been in the area quite awhile and had various major work done...I would trust his recommendations without doubt.

Great advice!
I think Larry M has been in the area quite awhile and had various major work done...I would trust his recommendations without doubt.

Thunderbolt near Savannah has an excellent reputation.

Dave, I know nothing about Thunderbolt, but one advantage I see in Savannah is that I believe it is above the "hurricane belt" for insurance purposes . . . Will your insurance cover you in Jacksonville during hurricane season?
Just a thought!

Also, if you find that you have so much money that the boat projects can't soak it all up, (is that actually possibly?), you can send some our way :D as we're going to hopefully be at the boat by the end of June and the outfitting will begin!
Once again, just a thought. But remember, I was first in suggesting a way out of your "hole" with regarding all that coin!:whistling:

I’m at The Marina at Ortega landing in Jax right across from Larry’s old boat he just sold. Don’t know anything about yards around here because I’m such an excellent DIYer (that’s a joke), but Larry told me this was an excellent hurricane hole. And it’s a really nice marina IMO. Nice pool and other facilities. Close to shopping.

Come on down! We can drink beers!

For the bottom work I’d go to Sadler’s. For the AC an miscellaneous work, I’d talk to Eric, New Point Marine. Both are good communicators, honest and rates are favorable.

New Point Marine | Jacksonville, FL 32234

https://www.sadlerpoint.com/

Lambs would be my second choice. They are a full service yard but you do pay for that ($$). Eric also works in Lambs yard.

JAX is a good location being 20 minutes from the airport and a good hurricane hole. If you leave your boat in the water, I’d use one of the marinas that has floating docks.

Let us know if you make it to JAX, we still live near the marinas.

Edit: I’d talk to all the parties and also talk schedules. The boat yards are jammed right now. I talked one of the owners last month and he was trying to hire 6 people.

Canvas? We haven’t had any canvas work done but the dock talk is about schedules and promises. Boatswain’s Locker was booked out till June and that was last month.

Last edited:
If you venture south of Ft Lauderdale, I will provide you a name of a yard, canvas man, stainless man, and cabinet maker (shipwright). I would suggest you discuss your needs and desires with the shipwright, listen to his suggestion and watch. LOL He is more than capable of shepherd the entire project. I will tell you, I have been very satisfied with his work. You wont be disappointed. He will be more than happy to relieve you of your excess money.

I've spent quite a bit of time on the St Johns in the last couple years. I definitely would second or third the recommendation for Lamb's Yacht Center. Still a family-run business, yes, not cheap but if you want it done right its worth it.
Lamb's also has covered storage (not liveaboard). Lamb's and Ortega landing area is about 24 miles inland from the coast. Sat through hurricane Dorian there in 2019 and just got some gusting wind but boat was safe.
For canvas there we had a good experience with Pat's Canvas.

Dave, I know nothing about Thunderbolt, but one advantage I see in Savannah is that I believe it is above the "hurricane belt" for insurance purposes . . . Will your insurance cover you in Jacksonville during hurricane season?
Just a thought!

Also, if you find that you have so much money that the boat projects can't soak it all up, (is that actually possibly?), you can send some our way :D as we're going to hopefully be at the boat by the end of June and the outfitting will begin!
Once again, just a thought. But remember, I was first in suggesting a way out of your "hole" with regarding all that coin!:whistling:

Haha, I don't think Jeff Bezos could find a boat that wouldn't take all the money he could throw at it.

I did review my insurance policy, and had a nice chat with Pete the Insurance Wizard, and I should be in good shape there.

Come on down! We can drink beers!

Don't threaten me with a good time!

Thank you for the leads and local knowledge, everybody. I've got some phone calls to make, and some figurin' to do.

Green Cove Springs. up the St. Johns river.

excellent work there, and you can work on your own boat, I have had good luck there. Good prices as well.

M

Boat yard

Hello all of you attractive young people.

I find myself with more money than usual, and less time to spend it than usual. I figure if I can't use the boat for cruising, I may as well take the opportunity to have some work done. She's currently in Brunswick, GA, but I have very little faith in their boat yard. I'm considering relocating to somewhere nearby, possibly in the Jax area, where I can hire a small army of trustworthy and skilled tradeswizards to descend upon my humble ark, and lavish her with love and maintenance and improvements.

I'd like to have her hauled, since it's been almost two years now since her bum was last dry. She needs a general inspection of the wetted surface and running gear, replaced anodes, and some seacock maintenance and repairs.

I'd like to install air conditioning.

My refrigerator has also recently died, and that needs to be repaired or replaced.

I'd also like to finally get that damn sun shade fabricated over the sundeck. I've heard good things about Morgan Metals in the Jax area, and will try to hire them for the job. Top Stitch canvas is already working on some window shades for me, and they can do the soft parts of the aft deck shade. Hopefully Morgan can also modify my anchor pulpit so that I can bring the hook all the way home and not dig into the bow any more.

There are a few other piddly little projects, like installing my new swim ladder, and doing a 250 hour service on Perkins, and a service on the genny.

Where would you take your sweetheart for a refit like this? Is the St. Johns a fairly safe hurricane hole? She'll likely be there for the bulk of hurricane season.

Thanks in advance! You look great today, by the way.

I have not used them but when I was going to have a complete refit done I spoke with Huckins and they were going to be able to do everything I wanted. I believe they have been there since before WW 2.

Another option near Thunderbolt is the Hinkley yard. Quality work and the rates in GA are a little less than FL. We winter at Ortega Landing as others on this post do. The yards near there are good too.

Huckins has always proven capable, but they can be quite pricey. Sadler Point is good to do business with.

The Marina at Ortega Landing is a terrific place for boats and boaters.

+1 for Huckins. They did a bunch of work for my krogen when I first purchased her (cutlass, bottom job, prop balance, zincs, dripless). During that time, I was installing A/C on the boat. I plan to take her back there to get the hull painted. Got a decent price. Their craftsmanship is evident in the boats they build and those guys work on your boat.

Can't speak to boatyards in Jax, but I second Larry's recommendation for Eric/New Point Marine. Very responsive, very reasonable.

Also confirm Ortega Landing is top notch! We also have other friends there who winter in the islands and then return to Ortega for the hurricane season... so as long as your insurance permits, it's a really very, very nice place!

-Chris

Thanks again to everyone for the excellent information. As of right now, I'm planning to take Sylphide down to the Ortega River area sometime around the end of June for her refit. I haven't made any reservations yet, but it sounds like I'll be fairly spoiled for choice. I've got work to do on assembling my work list before I make any more specific plans.

I guess I didn't realize just how much of TF's Atlantic Fleet was based there! It'd be lovely to meet some of y'all fine folks.

If you venture south of Ft Lauderdale, I will provide you a name of a yard, canvas man, stainless man, and cabinet maker (shipwright). I would suggest you discuss your needs and desires with the shipwright, listen to his suggestion and watch. LOL He is more than capable of shepherd the entire project. I will tell you, I have been very satisfied with his work. You wont be disappointed. He will be more than happy to relieve you of your excess money.

I am curious who do you reecommend south of Fort Laud,

Bud

I am curious who do you reecommend south of Fort Laud,

Bud

For what project?
The shipwright is Dennis Boat works.
Phone: 954 260 6885
Tell him what you want/need and listen to his suggestions and recommendations

For what project?
The shipwright is Dennis Boat works.
Phone: 954 260 6885
Tell him what you want/need and listen to his suggestions and recommendations

Thanks, What yard and for stainless steel work?

Bud

Thanks, What yard and for stainless steel work?

Bud

Talk with Dennis. He will suggest company.

I used a company for years. He treated small jobs and big jobs with the same care.
The company was sold and the new owner cant seem to find the time to do a small job for me. I have been waiting since April.
Naturally, he blames Covid.

Last edited:
I have had good work done at Huckins, both on Huckins, and other boats I have owned. I am currently on my 4th paint job(different boats) with them. It has always been good work, and a pleasant experience.
Best,
Maldwin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom