Hatch and exhaust advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SP3

Vessel Name
Sea Prince III
Vessel Make
Converted Dungey Crabber (Made on the shores of the Fraser River)
I hope I don't blow it by asking a couple of questions, but heck, it if gets some interesting discussion going, let's do it.

1st question - We need to install a ladder from the back porch up through the flush deck. This involves installing a hatch. I can't quite find the size and it is hard to tell what the opening should be without getting on another boat with a similar situation and taking some measurements. Would 24" by 24" be big enough for folks to get through comfortably? I don't think I would put the ladder through the opening without it being removable (why have a hatch cover then).

2nd question - The dry exhaust is naturally a bit loud on the upper deck, it has a slant halfway up the pipe from the base and the opening is just over 6' off the deck by a few inches. I'm tempted to raise the exhaust up, so the outlet isn't pointed(ish) at your head when you are on the deck behind it. Also - is the slant even necessary, what if it was straight up with a flapper or other way to keep the rain at bay? The sound would then be projected up.

Thanks all in advance on your experience with these things.

Just as a point of reference for #1, safety standards for an escape hatch with corners (vs circular) is minimum of 14.5 inches on a side. Ask yourself if anything else might need to get through the hatch besides a person, like a bike, rolled-up tender or similar.

Thanks for the reply - sounds like 24 by 24 would be pretty comfortable to get through, but I am not a wide body type either.

I though about hauling stuff up through, generally I think we would drop that stuff over the sides and use the davit booms to bring bigger stuff up. I don't like climbing ladders with my hands full, but lifting too someone may be an option. Mainly a cooler seems like the most obvious thing to move up and down.

Back
Top Bottom