Tambour door cabinet install to replace old fridge: results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalrider

Guru
Vessel Name
SEA WOLF
Vessel Make
1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Banged out another boat project this weekend!

We pulled out our rusting, barely functional 1979 Norcold fridge a couple weeks ago with a plan to convert the space into easily accessible galley storage. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I got a Tambour PVC door kit spec'ed for the opening size for around $200 shipped (Tape Ease Design 1), and made up some plywood shelves with varnished mahogany trim strips.

The cabinet is 37" tall, 23" wide, and 27" deep, so tons and tons of space for big pots and pans that we previously had to stick under settees and the like. There's a much larger second Norcold fridge that the PO installed (DE-0067 I think) which has proven plenty big enough for us.

Attachments

• Tambour open.jpg
    Tambour open.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Tambour door.jpg
    Tambour door.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 15
That's an awesome project. I'm envious of the pot and pan storage! Nice job. We used do live in Point Loma and miss the climate.

One cannot say NO to more storage. SMILE
Of course, now that you have more room for pots, you will buy more pots. LOL
You opted for a $200 solution.
My cabinet maker would opt for wood door to match the others for over $1500.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - yeah now we have to fill it up with crap :)

One of the reasons I chose the Tambour was because a swing-open cabinet door would clog up the galley area. Also we have a large greyhound who loves to sleep there (and he sleeps a lot). With this solution we can leave it open while at anchor, and close it up underway.

I've had a very hard time finding anything that precicely matches the original teak. The old fridge face was black, so we decided to keep that basic look. I'm not sure I would have been able to get someone to make a door that really matches even for $1500.

I've had a very hard time finding anything that precicely matches the original teak. The old fridge face was black, so we decided to keep that basic look. I'm not sure I would have been able to get someone to make a door that really matches even for $1500.

Oh yea you could. If you lived in the Ft Lauderdale area, I know just the company. He has done all my cabinet work on 2 boats. Just bring your check book, he will help you empty the check book. :)

Nice job! - IMO - Your black pull-down is just fine!

Storage and bacon share one quality - It's always great to have mmmmore!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom