View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #17
Nick14
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
@Mako, I looked into various possibilities, and haven't found any ways to avoid the tariff. US Customs is very diligent. If I tried to document the boat or register it in any US state, proof of origin and tax/duty/tariff history would come up since the boat is built in China. Payment would be required then, plus possible fines. Additionally, as a US citizen I can't get into Canada right now (COVID restrictions). I also couldn't take title to the boat there, since I don't own property there. If there are ways around it, neither I nor a law firm that deals in customs and tariffs could find a way around it.

@ranger42c, there are biological issues (genetics and health status/medical history) specific to me that likely make my remaining time limited. We all need to appreciate time. It's the one thing you can never get more of, no matter how much money a person might have. There are no 'do overs', and when time is up, it's up. I hope to continue boating for as long as I can, but there are some things that are absolute.