View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 11:42 PM   #1
boatlife
Veteran Member

City: Pacific Northwest
Anyone choose the boat over the woman?

I’ve got a great girlfriend of about two years whom I love, but she’s decided she wants absolutely nothing to do with the cruiser lifestyle. Won’t live on a boat. Won’t travel on a boat. Won’t vacation on a boat. Refuses to even spend one night on a boat.

I was up front when we met that cruising is my retirement plan. Told her this before our first date and she was receptive, but has now changed her mind. I want to see the world but I love the comforts of my own home. Don’t really like hotels and despise commercial air travel. Figure I’ll buy a floating home I can take with me.

It’s not for lack of comfort here. I’m looking at power catamarans in the 80 foot range. Some of them have more square feet than my house. Anyway, it’s come down to an ultimatum and it seems I’m the bad guy for choosing the boat. Really I’m choosing a lifestyle I’ve dreamed of and been working toward for about two decades now.

Has anyone had to make a similar choice? How’d it turn out? I’m content to do this alone if I must, I quite enjoy my own company, but I sure would love a good woman by my side. I’ll have to let this one go, sadly, but there’s a part of me that wonders if finding a cruising partner will be more difficult than I thought.
boatlife is offline   Reply With Quote