Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Do all Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38 vessels have mirrors on the aft wall of their forward head?

Anyone ever remove or break that mirror and see what is behind it? The frame has 4 wood plugged screw holes suggesting it is mounted to the fiberglass wall with screws. Mine is very, very securely attached to the wall, but I think it may be the easiest way into the gap between the walls. See this thread for why I want to get into that gap.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s64/access-aft-wall-forward-head-helmsman-38-a-55787.html

Attachments

• IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 27
I don’t know why they have to plug the screws on interior trim. Much easier if they just use a decorative washer on the screws. Then it is simple to get things off without damage.

If they didn't glue the plugs (I don't if I might want to remove something), one can usually drill a small hole in the center of the plug to get a screw started, and then screw in a screw longer than the plug is deep. When the tip of the screw gets to the bottom, it starts to back the plug right out. If the screw is long enough, all the way. But, as long as it is long enough to get it mostly out, it is also a good way to pull it the rest of the way. Then, when done, I put a plug back in with no glue. UT just costs me a few nickel plugs and some touch up varnish.

If the plug turns out to be glued, I use the starter hole to drill it out and replace it when done, usually with one size larger-- and no glue.

My goal is to find an access opening behind that mirror that allows one to reach the space between the aft head wall (on which the mirror is mounted) and the forward cabinet face in the pilothouse. Guess if I get the mirror off and there is not opening, I could always cut an opening before replacing the mirror...

My goal is to find an access opening behind that mirror that allows one to reach the space between the aft head wall (on which the mirror is mounted) and the forward cabinet face in the pilothouse. Guess if I get the mirror off and there is not opening, I could always cut an opening before replacing the mirror...

That is what I would do. Then when you reinstall the mirror don’t plug the screw holes but use decorative washers instead. Then you will be able to get in the next time you need to without any pain with the plugs. Function over form works just fine.

Something like these on Amazon.

SNUG Fasteners (SNG575) 100 Qty #10 Stainless Steel Countersunk Washers | 304 SS Finishing Cup

I think that's the best approach. Thanks Comodave.

No problem. I like when screws are exposed, much easier to maintain. On a previous boat, a Trojan, all the woodwork was screwed and the bronze screws just set flush. It looked fine and was awesome to work on. I could take the woodwork apart easily and did many times. Function over form.

Comodave,

I use those "finishing washers" all the time. And with an oval SS screw or bolt. Looks great, easy to remove. I keep a box of several assorted ones handy. And there's different finishing washers, depending on the need.

And depending on the sub strait behind it would dictate the anchor if needed.

Back
Top Bottom