Security... Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john-o

Veteran Member
As I understand it, when a vessel is entering a narrow channel or passage, it's customary to get on the radio (channel ?) and announce.. SECURITY, SECURITY, then announce the boat's name, its size and direction. That way, other vessels who are, or will, approach said vessel, will be aware of a possible tight passage, buy and around said vessel.
Am I correct in this interpretation of announcing SECURITY, SECURITY?
is there an understand as to what size a captain should announce this?

That is correct. There are some places where it is required to make a Security announcement. If I remember correctly there are some on the TSW in Canada that there are signs telling you to do so.

5'2" to about 6'3", except, of course for Unlimited Masters. :lol:

Wifey B: That's not fair. You're saying hubby doesn't have to but I do. I think you should create a fake size scale for women as well. :mad:

It is a SECURITE - (pronounced sea-cur-i-tay) call. I will admit saying SECURITY is easier than SECURITE. :blush::D

https://www.boatus.org/marine-communications/calls/

• MAYDAY - distress signal, requires the most urgent response. This signal is only to be used when a person, or boat is threatened by grave or imminent danger, and requires assistance.
  • PAN-PAN - (pronounced pahn-pahn) used to signal urgent information, like when someone has fallen overboard, or a boat is drifting into shore or a busy shipping channel. If your emergency isn't immediately life threatening, say Pan-Pan instead of Mayday, for example if you have a controllable leak, and you want help standing by in case it gets worse.
  • SECURITE - (pronounced sea-cur-i-tay) is the safety signal. This is used to transmit information about the safety of navigation. For instance, if a large commercial vessel is coming through a narrow channel, this signal would be used. Can also be used to transmit weather information, such as when a powerful storm system is approaching.
Later,
Dan

Excepting where required by regulation (eg. signage etc.), it is even more important where visibility will be restricted such as under fog conditions or where there is a sharp turn in the narrow channel.
Just ensure that you take a few moments ahead of announcing the Securite to plan your transmission. Often you hear people who are not at all prepared and they kind of "botch it" up. The channel used is the emergency channel that everyone is supposed to monitor (C 16).

That is correct. There are some places where it is required to make a Security announcement. If I remember correctly there are some on the TSW in Canada that there are signs telling you to do so.

Your memory is good. I remember doing that as I approached that narrow channel.

Consider using the low power setting on 16 for this use of Securite. Most boats don't care about every boat heading through Dodd Narrows, but the boats in the general vicinity may.

As I understand it, when a vessel is entering a narrow channel or passage, it's customary to get on the radio (channel ?) and announce.. SECURITY, SECURITY, then announce the boat's name, its size and direction. That way, other vessels who are, or will, approach said vessel, will be aware of a possible tight passage, buy and around said vessel.
Am I correct in this interpretation of announcing SECURITY, SECURITY?
is there an understand as to what size a captain should announce this?

Others have answered your question. The word is actually Securite (with an acute accent over the last 'e')

The word is French and means 'Safety' Hence it's use for this purpose. It should be used prior to any general announcement of a hazardous condition (deadhead floating in a channel for example).

Correct... there a a couple very narrow dug channels where passing would be troublesome if 13' + beam. Also Severn River where current gives downbound traffic priority.
Georgian Bay has many areas where restricted width make announcement advisable. Some approaching Parry Sound have large tour boat traffic so advisable to .isten carefully even if you are modest size. The bottom off channel is not friendly!

Just ensure that you take a few moments ahead of announcing the Securite to plan your transmission. Often you hear people who are not at all prepared and they kind of "botch it" up.

As a retired professional aviator (lack of) radio discipline and etiquette is one of the things that drives me bananas. (Admiral says it's a short drive.....:D)

Please..... ANYTIME you pick up that mic think, THEN talk.

What oscar and Northern Spy said can not be over-emphasized.

There are quite a few places where the radio calls are overused. For example, certain gates or inlets at slack tide. Unless you are operating an exceptionally large vessel or there are extenuating circumstances such as fog, simply adhering to the navigation rules is often all that is necessary.

As a retired professional aviator (lack of) radio discipline and etiquette is one of the things that drives me bananas. (Admiral says it's a short drive.....:D)

Please..... ANYTIME you pick up that mic think, THEN talk.

You got that right. And people that don’t know how to enunciate on the radio.

You got that right. And people that don’t know how to enunciate on the radio.

I remember when I first had a VHF and was very nervous about pressing the mic button to talk. So I thought about what I would say and how I would say it before hitting mic.

That was in 1983. I still do that.

~Alan

Horn signals could be appropriate in such situations. (Lots of boaters don't have or monitor marine radios.) Consider the range of your horn, (Most recreational boats have pipsqueak horns with minimal range.)

I remember when I first had a VHF and was very nervous about pressing the mic button to talk. So I thought about what I would say and how I would say it before hitting mic.

That was in 1983. I still do that.

~Alan

Ditto. ... Airplane pilots don't have this problem. They have lots or practice.

5'2" to about 6'3", except, of course for Unlimited Masters. :lol:

My license says 'unlimited' in the weight section, lol.

I like to think of security calls (that's how I say it) as just a friendly 'hey everybody, I'm about to do something you might want to know about!' kinda call.

Most recreational boats have pipsqueak horns with minimal range

I have been told in no uncertain terms that if I am going to hit that button and the Admiral is on the fore deck I WILL tell her first.

Compressor on the engine, 60 psi 10G tank and two sexy shiny horns. Yes..... You WILL hear it. :D

Back
Top Bottom