Building a Nordhavn - again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Final spray coat on the cabinetry happened yesterday afternoon!

Now it's on to the floor.

Time to get that beauty out on the Sound!

Hollar if you need an extra deck hand...although I've been told by my buddies that I suck at those duties. :D

It would be interesting to hear from others who have built new boats in say the 60-75' range, how long it took them to get the boat dialed in. The test for me is the marine supply/hardware store run. When you come into a new port, how quickly go you run to the marine supply or hardware store. When that stops being the first thing you do at every port, the boat is ready.......

Well as a dreamer/lurker to the idea of retirement cruising, I certainly don't have an answer
but I'd speculate that the answer depends a great deal on how much money was thrown at the first few trips to the boat chandlery.
and perhaps even more so to the owner's prior experience

I was recently watching a video Nordhavn posted, of a delivery trip from WA state up to AK. It was a trip video, not about the boat...but I couldn't help but to notice that the thing was already well outfitted. complete with what looked to be a set of several matching new fishing rods and reels mounted nicely in the lazerette...and a center console fishing skiff sitting in the dingy position. Dishes, etc.... It looked to be fully outfitted and very well organized. I sorta doubt it was a new from the factory delivery.

Regardless... seeing all that, my mind drifted to the idea of being able to completely outfit a boat at the onset...having the knowledge to know what you want and need + having the money to do it all right away.
as opposed to figuring it out as you go and doling it out a piece at a time....

Well as a dreamer/lurker to the idea of retirement cruising, I certainly don't have an answer
but I'd speculate that the answer depends a great deal on how much money was thrown at the first few trips to the boat chandlery.
and perhaps even more so to the owner's prior experience

I was recently watching a video Nordhavn posted, of a delivery trip from WA state up to AK. It was a trip video, not about the boat...but I couldn't help but to notice that the thing was already well outfitted. complete with what looked to be a set of several matching new fishing rods and reels mounted nicely in the lazerette...and a center console fishing skiff sitting in the dingy position. Dishes, etc.... It looked to be fully outfitted and very well organized. I sorta doubt it was a new from the factory delivery.

Regardless... seeing all that, my mind drifted to the idea of being able to completely outfit a boat at the onset...having the knowledge to know what you want and need + having the money to do it all right away.
as opposed to figuring it out as you go and doling it out a piece at a time....

That boat had completed commissioning and the buyer's stuff was all move on and moved in. It was then delivered to AK where the buyer took possession/ownership. That commissioning was well orchestrated and only took 5 weeks.

We are sitting with a trailer full of our stuff, ready to move it onto the boat when the salon repairs are finished.

OMG, Twisted, I hope you meant they are varnishing the floor next, and not that there was over-spray from the cabinetry now marking the floor..? :eek: :facepalm:

OMG, Twisted, I hope you meant they are varnishing the floor next, and not that there was over-spray from the cabinetry now marking the floor..? :eek: :facepalm:

Well there is a not-so-funny ambiguity. Thankfully there is no over-spray, and they have just begun the refinishing process on the floor.

Don’t know about power but have been the owner for new build Outbound and part of initial delivery crew for new build Hinckley, Morris, NEB and others. Never helped with a new Amel but know the details for a new Nautor Swan. Even when delivered from distant shores from offloading to acceptance it’s been a week or two at most. Unlike Peter’s experience all owners had prior boats.Crew was a selection of friends and we all knew each other from before. Infill items such as tools, safety gear, cooking and serving items, linens, clothes, handheld electronics and such were either prepurchased or came from prior vessels. All this stuff was shipped and held at the builders yard or some carried by us as we came to the yard or in the case of the Outbound when we went to the yard or shipped to where the boat was offloaded from China. We spent a day or two outfitting the boat and storing things. Then off we went. On my own boat the builder had arranged a rigger, electronics tech and wrench to come to the boat before we got there. Think when the spot where the boat is turned over to the new owner is the builders yard it’s done internally by the builder. A few things like the watermaker and such were installed and commissioned by subs but again done before the vessels were turned over to the new owners. So commissioning was opaque to us. This sounds totally different from what’s posted here. A day or two to outfit and off you go. I know some owners get an outside person (paid surveyor or mechanic) to go through the boat before accepting the vessel. We didn’t do that. I know sometimes there are flaws that need attention. Sisterships tell me they have had the builder direct them to go to a certain yard and have the work done on the builders dime. This occurs after acceptance. We were fortunate. Our issues could be dealt by us (with teaching support from the builder) and on a few occasions with the builder shipping us parts.

Last edited:
Don’t know about power but have been the owner for new build Outbound and part of initial delivery crew for new build Hinckley, Morris, NEB and others. Never helped with a new Amel but know the details for a new Nautor Swan. Even when delivered from distant shores from offloading to acceptance it’s been a week or two at most. Unlike Peter’s experience all owners had prior boats.Crew was a selection of friends and we all knew each other from before. Infill items such as tools, safety gear, cooking and serving items, linens, clothes, handheld electronics and such were either prepurchased or came from prior vessels. All this stuff was shipped and held at the builders yard or some carried by us as we came to the yard or in the case of the Outbound when we went to the yard or shipped to where the boat was offloaded from China. We spent a day or two outfitting the boat and storing things. Then off we went. On my own boat the builder had arranged a rigger, electronics tech and wrench to come to the boat before we got there. Think when the spot where the boat is turned over to the new owner is the builders yard it’s done internally by the builder. A few things like the watermaker and such were installed and commissioned by subs but again done before the vessels were turned over to the new owners. So commissioning was opaque to us. This sounds totally different from what’s posted here. A day or two to outfit and off you go. I know some owners get an outside person (paid surveyor or mechanic) to go through the boat before accepting the vessel. We didn’t do that. I know sometimes there are flaws that need attention. Sisterships tell me they have had the builder direct them to go to a certain yard and have the work done on the builders dime. This occurs after acceptance. We were fortunate. Our issues could be dealt by us (with teaching support from the builder) and on a few occasions with the builder shipping us parts.

Well written. Our new builds were all 100% complete when turned over to us and any warranty issues addressed within two weeks plus a recheck all done within a month of delivery and after shake down. In my world, Nordhavn would do it all in China and ship a completed boat, but that's not their way or the way their customers want them to operate. Their estimated completion times vary from moderately off to extremely off but again their customers are fine with that. They've built a great business doing things the way they do them and have one of the most loyal customer bases there is. So, I'm not faulting their way as it works for them. Just pointing out new buyers need to be well educated on their ways. Also, for a three time buyer to sue them because they didn't do things like Westport, even if they contracted to do so, is sheer lunacy and, in my view, he was contemplating the ability to sue when he signed the contract. So glad he lost. Of course the real reason wasn't the delay but their refusal to assist in tax games. Loved the Nordhavn testimony which was blatantly honest in basically saying they didn't really pay attention to those contract details.

Also while we've had great build experiences, it should be pointed out that there are many who never get their boat they made payments on and others who never get a satisfactory boat. There are also those who can't get warranty work done by dealers and just give up and pay others. Then those who buy a reputable brand of production boat but dealer doesn't respond so nine months later they take to builder to get warranty work done. Then those who pay a dealer who doesn't pay the builder and they end up with nothing for their money and a suit against a dealer who stripped all the money out and hopes to be judgement proof. 2 and 3 years after paying, they have nothing and no expectation. There are a lot of horror stories out there which should serve as a reminder not just to choose a boat, but choose the builder and any dealer relationships very carefully.

Here are some examples of commissioning tasks that are independent of any problems found - they are just finishing the boat. Granted, these are more complex boats than many, so more stuff the deal with.

- Stidd helm seats both in the pilot house and fly bridge are installed. This allows placement per the owners choice.

- Flybridge, cockpit, and dinette tables get located per customers preference and installed.

- Any carpet gets templated, ordered, fit, bound, and final installation.

- Shades get measured, ordered, and installed.

- The upper mast is shipped on deck and needs to be installed. That includes hooking up the wires and testing all the lights. Then any electronics or instruments can be installed. In my case that was the sat compass, weather instrument, secondary GPS, FLIR camera, and Radar.

- Install solar panels.

- Remove, fill, and reinstall media filters.

- Calibrate tanks (9 of them) on Maretron via calibrated fill with water or fuel.

- Locate tender on deck. Measure and fabricate chocks, install chocks, install tie down eyes, measure and fabricate tie downs, fabricate spreader bar, measure and fabricate sling.

- Install and configure LFP battery system

- Adjust and verify all charging sources.

- Template and install name lettering

- Install life rafts

- Radar configuration and tuning

- Auto pilot configuration and tuning

- Navigation computer installation and configuration.

- Maretron computer installation and configuration.

And that's not to mention testing all the systems which alone is multiple weeks of work. My checklist is 675 items. Now lots of people will just accept the boat unless there are visible problems, and deal with whatever comes up. I prefer to inspect and test before accepting the boat, in hopes of more trouble-free cruising.

Then you also need to fix any issues that are discovered, and if you think there are none, you just haven't looked hard enough.

TT I intend to buy a Norhavn. I think they stand alone in grp boats for the purpose I intend to use the boat. There’s many ways to skin a cat and long as the fur is gone it doesn’t matter once done. I, like you, have developed a warm and fuzzy feeling about the boats and even the brand. Sure, there’s one guy (broken promises) ranting but now having met a few owners and gone hands and knees through a number of boats no question they are done right. It’s truly exceptional I haven’t heard even once a negative word about the build . Complaints have been “I should have done this differently “ not about the builder nor product but the owners decisions. That speaks volumes to me.

Found it amusing you mentioned calibration. We spec’d a Phillipi system for monitoring ( fuel,/waste, all AC/DC production and use, batteries etc). It had further engine monitoring which being a sailboat we didn’t hook up. Builder knew his volumes and shapes for all the tanks (4 fuel, 2 water, 2 waste). We could calculate from that if the sonic sensor said this height it meant this volume. From the manufacturers knew the output curves for wind/solar, alternators, generators etc. in spite of that math it was a PIA to really get the Phillipi dialed in. Spec’d dipsticks in case the Phillipi failed. Did measurements and kept notes. Used our multimeter. Finally got it right and for the subsequent 8 years it was flawless.

Last edited:
Two weeks without an update? How many of the 675 items have you closed out and when do you see yourself taking the boat out for another test run? Looking forward to a few photos including the PH.

John T.

Just finished the salon repairs today. Major milestone. And only a few things are left on the commissioning list, however one of them requires a haul out and there is a 6 week lead time for that. In the mean time we are ticking everything else off the list. Just lined up a few sea trials today for ABT stabilizers, main and wing engine application reviews (manufacturer sign off on the installations), a bunch of electronics tuning and adjustment, run out the whole anchor chain to confirm marking and length, and just some general exercise. Wired up my 30A 120V shore cord today and tested that to be sure it works as expected.

Hello, its been awhile since you posted an update. Any chance you have time to provide us a quick update a photo or two?

John

Hello, its been awhile since you posted an update. Any chance you have time to provide us a quick update a photo or two?

John

Repairs are all done and you would never know anything happened. We have mostly moved our stuff aboard and are awaiting resolution of a few issues before we hit the seas.

That’s awesome news. But we still need some pics ����������

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• PCH_2021-06-01_11-13_1595.jpg
    PCH_2021-06-01_11-13_1595.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 58
  • PCH_2021-06-01_11-14_1598.jpg
    PCH_2021-06-01_11-14_1598.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
  • PCH_2021-06-01_11-14_1599.jpg
    PCH_2021-06-01_11-14_1599.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 57
  • PCH_2021-06-02_15-23_1607.jpg
    PCH_2021-06-02_15-23_1607.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 54
Looks stunning!

Are you heading to AK this summer?

So much room..! However, Peter, one thing that I always think of when I see a saloon like that is, how do you stop the furniture sliding all over the place then the going gets a bit rough..? I doubt that the stabs could completely eliminate that..? Especially thinking of what happened to that lovely cabin with the stuff they had just stacked in there for the delivery trip moving around, and that was on a huge cargo ship. Is there some way of fixing couches/tables to the floor, or what..? :confused:

So much room..! However, Peter, one thing that I always think of when I see a saloon like that is, how do you stop the furniture sliding all over the place then the going gets a bit rough..? I doubt that the stabs could completely eliminate that..? Especially thinking of what happened to that lovely cabin with the stuff they had just stacked in there for the delivery trip moving around, and that was on a huge cargo ship. Is there some way of fixing couches/tables to the floor, or what..? :confused:

Yes, an important point. The sofa will have hooks that secure it in place so it can't move around. Same with the other loose furniture, but we don't yet have it all figured out exactly. My thinking so far is that they will need to be moved to the wall, and secured together & to the wall or floor. There is a rug now, so lots of "grip" holding things in place - at least until it's not enough:eek: Lamps and everything on a counter surface are held down with earthquake putty. That works incredibly well for smaller items.

What it takes to secure stuff depends on the furniture. I have a pair of freestanding bar stools in my salon. With them rotated to lightly wedge against a wall, they stay put running on plane into 4 footers. The only time I've seen them fall involved a 25-ish degree roll from a really bad wake at anchor. The heavy club chair I've got sinks into the carpet a bit and from what I've seen, if that thing moves, I'm probably pushing the AVS limit of the boat...

Yes, an important point. The sofa will have hooks that secure it in place so it can't move around. Same with the other loose furniture, but we don't yet have it all figured out exactly. My thinking so far is that they will need to be moved to the wall, and secured together & to the wall or floor. There is a rug now, so lots of "grip" holding things in place - at least until it's not enough:eek: Lamps and everything on a counter surface are held down with earthquake putty. That works incredibly well for smaller items.

I was today years old when I learned about Earthquake Putty.

giphy.gif

Any interesting updates you care to share with those of us who still appreciate the "fun" of commissioning and first trip of a new Nordhavn? Thanks

John T.

We are down to final punch lists. While Nordhavn finishes them up, we have come home for a few weeks. We have lots to square away here, then hope to get in some fall cruising in BC.

High on my list once back on the boat will be to finish up the generator autostart capability. There has been a major power issue at Shishole Marine with a 3-4 day outage, and there is now a generator powering everything while waiting for parts. I needed someone to run my generator for a couple of hours a couple of times to keep things out of the red zone.

The good news is that when there is any reasonable sun, the solar panels cover all the loads, plus do a bit of charging. But of course the outage days were not sunny :facepalm:

Looking good this evening!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 491
So are you aboard and all complete?
I went back to post one. So June 2018 till about now. Is around about 2-1/2 years a typical timeframe to build new with some customization and design changes? I remember reading about your transit damage so that added some months to your timeline....

Back
Top Bottom