Slip and Surveyor in NorthWest.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forfun1960

Vessel Name
Journey II
Vessel Make
2017 R-23 Ranger Tug
Looking at buying a well cared for 1980's 47' power vessel and looking for insights on the availability of slips in the Bellingham/Anacourtes area? In the absence of availability even out in the islands or Marinas in the area.

Also, looking for recommendations for a surveyor that may have experience with older vessels made of steel?

Thanks in advance. Donnie

Congratulations Donnie on your new to you boat. But.......... if you are just now wondering about a slip to keep it, you may be in for a big disappointment. Your name should have been a several waiting lists 5 years ago. Good luck.

There are slips available, just not in the most convenient locations. There should be slips available at Blane and Semiahmoo.

Should be plenty in Point Roberts after the Canadians vacated due to covid border lockdown

Also, looking for recommendations for a surveyor that may have experience with older vessels made of steel?

This fellow did a very comprehensive survey of my 1985 trawler last spring. Excellent all around result and fairly priced. You should contact him and ask about steel boats, my guess is he will be familiar with them. Grew up in a boating family, his dad was in the marine industry, as per the web site.

Only downside is that he is very busy. But that is also a sign of good quality work and demand for his services. I highly recommend him. Not talkative, but gets it done.

Cale Mathers – AMS® #1156
SAMS® Accredited Marine Surveyor®
Mathers Marine Survey LLC
151 Polo Park Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229 360.202.7700 Cale@MathersMarineSurvey.com Mathers Marine Survey LLC - SAMS® Accredited Marine Surveyor®
05/27/2020
DATE OF REPORT COMPLETION

As for moorage, check out the LaConner Marina, Port of Skagit. Slips do come available there and the wait time is much less than Anacortes. Good service and good people. Lovely town to enjoy when ashore. Outstanding full service yard (LaConner Maritime). Two hours motor (at 8 knots) to Lopez Island.

Last edited:
Don't delay. Get on the wait lists for all marinas within several hours drive of where you want to be. Don't limit yourself to B'ham and Anacortes, two very popular marinas.

I did that in June 2018 when I started my purchase process. I was told wait lists were 2 yrs, 5 yrs and "Don't bother". In short order I had a slip in a marina at a far from an ideal location or a good slip, but I had a place. By October I was in my 1st choice marina when I'd been told that was a 2 yr list. In November 2020 I was in my preferred location in the marina when I'd been told that was a 5 yr list.

Don't sign an annual contract until you're in your preferred marina in a good slip.

Check out renting from an owner of a condo style marina such as Anchor Cove. Some maintain lists of slips for rent. Occasionally those pop up on Craigslist. Some you'll have to walk the docks.

You should have started some time ago but it's not all doom and gloom and you'll spend some small $$ on wait list fees. And probably initially be in an inconvenient location.

Worst case you'll be bouncing around transient slips till you get something.

The problem with slip availability in many, many areas is people flocked heavily to what appear to be socially distancing activities that got them out of the house.

Seasonal Homes
Seasonal Rentals
RV's
Boats

As a result, there are very few slips available out there. We've been talking about getting rid of the slip and just anchoring, transient moorings and the occasional transient slip, however we're afraid if we decide we prefer to keep a slip, we won't have anywhere to go if we surrender the one we have.

Thanks, everyone for your input. Your advice will help a lot as I look for a slip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom