View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
boomerang
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Classic 34 spring projects

Every year we try to do renovations & upgrades to make our old Mainship more reliable for us. This year I might have gotten overly ambitious but we'll keep plugging away until Liz gets out of school for the summer and we start using it.

I did get to add the isolation transformer I've been wanting as a precaution against the dreaded tripped breaker at marinas with GFI pedestals. We've never had excessive anode loss but it didn't hurt to have it for that,either. Like I mentioned in another thread, I found it on ebay for less than $150 shipped. It was advertised as used because it was bent and scratched but it was never used. New ,they go for well over $450.

We'd been wanting to replace the Beckson portlights because the old ones had seen their usefulness come and go. They were cracked, leaking and cloudy plus the screens were shot or missing. I was able to find one 714 port on ebay for $35 but the rest I had to buy new. The nice thing is they fit the existing cutouts. They were a pain to install & definitely a 2 person job. The stainless hardware was kind of expensive but the barrel nuts alone were over $80! They kind of made for a cleaner installation in our case so I guess they were worth it.

I bought a Chinese outboard motor bracket for $60 and modified it by removing the spring -loaded kick-up parts to hang our tender motor in the cockpit. It looks like it will work out ok.

Three weekends of sanding and filling the decks plus multiple coats of Interlux perfection paint. After the final coat, we took one last look at the paint job before heading up the hill. We were so happy with our roll and tip application! Damn if a dew didn't settle on it overnight and turn the shine on the horizontal surfaces to a no-gloss flat. We threw in the towel and decided to be happy with it like it was. Thats one of the benefits of owning an old boat,I suppose. Good enough can sometimes do just fine. With the paint done, we were able to install the portlights plus replace the running lights.

I really wanted to relocate the water tank to under the cockpit but that turned into a bigger project than we wanted to take on right now so it'll have to wait until later on.

The engine still needs to be pulled when we go to the boatyard next month so we can replace the seals that are weeping. I think we'll just take a break for now & recharge for that project.
Attached Thumbnails
102_0113.jpg   102_0108.jpg   102_0102.jpg   102_0098.jpg   102_0119.jpg  

102_0100.jpg   102_0101.jpg   102_0093.jpg