Hi from Reid and Sue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randsfl

Vessel Make
looking around that 35 foot size
Retired now in Naples Fla - looking at purchasing a boat for longer trips (we are avid rv trailer types with small Airstream and teardrop) so we want to move some of those adventures to water. I don't know if a trawler would be final answer - partly because there are destinations not that far that we would want to go often and make a quick trip, such as, Key West to the south and places as far as St Pete to the north.

So that is the starting point with my many needs for information - it appears there is a strict definition for trawler but that it has broadened over time. One boat that has interested us is a Beneteau Antares 11 - I could say it looks (somewhat) like a trawler (for all you fans of the movie Best in Show).

I guess i should start with my first question so I can start to get to know others - why would i want or not want the upper bridge - I know the lack of helps me get under bridges (wow).

Thanks for putting up with me in advance and especially thank you for anytime you spend helping me - so many have already by posting comments in the threads.

I wouldn't be without my flybridge. You being down south might want to consider an enclosed one with air conditioning. A flybridge doubles your entertainment space.

pete

The answer is personal preference. I wouldn’t be with out one but then I don’t have any bridges to worry about.

Lots of unasked questions.
How many folks will be onboard for these extended trips?
Beneteau Antares 11 You are going with outboards? Gas or diesel?
The interior pictures, hanging closet space is enough for the extend trips?

A bit of humor: Fly bridge or no fly bridge? An observation, the A/C, head and food are in the inside of the boat.

it timed during my long reply and lost it - i will reply again but need to regroup - thanks

Type, save and return to edit to add more. Do over until you are happy.
I think less that 10 mins to edit.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! By all means get a boat with a flying bridge for South Florida and the Bahamas! There are just not that many bridges you’ll encounter and the view from the bridge is spectacular. It will help you pick your way through shallow water also. I almost never ran my boat from below. My wife and I once had a turtle lead us through a channel. We would never have seen him from inside.

As for speed look at some of the trawler like semi displacement boats out there. You can slow down to increase range or open them up to 15 to 20:knots to save time.

Shallow draft is important in Florida as well. I wouldn’t want to draw more than about four feet in South Florida.

just wife and I especially if over many days or weeks - for long weekend another couple that understands things - like shore power; generators; investors; even solar - water and waste - fridgration - we have experience in these things from rv camping with a small 16 foot rv (storage too) - food storage - actually we have done 7 to 8 week trips with teardrop

two gas 300's but the generator is diesel i believe - i have been looking at so many - told need two - three if more risky type in bad weather anything more is show at least what i am told

owned basically ski boats on inland lakes and chains forever but no salt experience except others and rentals over last 5 years - in old days did some maintenance including rebuilding a lower unit in driveway - also, use to maintain cars and owned cottage so some experience with needing to do maintenance - did get stuck on far side of tahoe once and had to tie to buoy swim out hitch around lake and come back in morning for boat - didnt notice slight afternoon breeze building waves around point

enjoy messaging and learning - hoping i am somewhat prepared but know lots to learn

thanks for your time

sorry missed word change inverter not investor

and if someone could give some feedback - if i cannot have lift - i am told to hire diver maybe once a month during summer to clean bottom - also, told bottom can be wrapped now too - however, which has which pros and cons a fixed or floating mooring

Just took a look at the Beneteau web site. Other than being ugly as sin (to me) it looks like a good boat for South Florida.

Some must haves for me in South Florida.

Air conditioning and a generator to power it. You live in Naples, no explanation needed. No you can’t run the air conditioner on batteries. This could be a deal breaker for the Beneteau, I don’t see a generator offered as an option.

A remotely controlled anchor windlass so I can launch and retrieve the anchor from the helm. Failing that at least an anchor wench in a bikini.

Naples what?

Floating or fixed??? Well designed float in pretty good for storm surges if the poles are tall enough.
Diver once a month
Wash the boat once a month and wax it once a year.
I would look into matching the fuel to the generator. Diesel is best. I hate to ride a gasoline bomb.

HopCar, some of the larger outboards have generators to provide for battery charging, lights etc.

Naples what?

I think you meant Naples where..? Old Dan..? And I agree. It irks me a bit that there still appears to be an automatic assumption with most new members that this is a North American only forum. If memory serves, there is a somewhat more well-known Naples not in Florida..?

I keep asking folk to fill in more detail in their profile. I even send some PMs suggesting this. They tend to be ignored. What does one do..? Sigh... :facepalm:

I think you meant Naples where..? Old Dan..? And I agree. It irks me a bit that there still appears to be an automatic assumption with most new members that this is a North American only forum. If memory serves, there is a somewhat more well-known Naples not in Florida..?

I keep asking folk to fill in more detail in their profile. I even send some PMs suggesting this. They tend to be ignored. What does one do..? Sigh... :facepalm:

He did say Naples Fla in his first sentence.

'Naples Fla" kinda gives it away.
I have a FB but would happily not have one.
The Beneteau Antares concept is good, no comment on the aesthetics. But I will on hull construction, check if it is cored(ie not solid f/glass) below the waterline. I think it is, that would be a negative, for me. Nickname here for Beneteau sailboats is "Bendy".

I guess i should start with my first question so I can start to get to know others - why would i want or not want the upper bridge - I know the lack of helps me get under bridges (wow).

We find visibility is much better from a flying bridge, even better than from most raised pilothouses, and way better than from an un-raised (?) lower helm station.

And then... I probably spend 75% of my waking/relaxing time on the bridge, too... watching the water go by, if nothing else.

-Chris

its more a wife thing in way

but thanks to all posts she is coming more aboard with thinking - there is a size thing that is effecting her thinking and i think a little style but recently when we went out on 52 footer she spent a most of time on flying bridge some on front deck

but also it reminded us when we took kids to san juan islands and rented a captained boat (for 6 days) out of port angeles - we spent all cruising time on flying bridge - the whole family - only time we where below including the captain was when docking

Parks said it best, and he's very experienced with boating in FL..

I'm just to the north in St. Pete.

Wouldn't be without a fly bridge EVER! Most of the bridges are a non issue on the west coast (east coast, too).

Absolutely generator and AC on the boat.

I bottom clean twice a month, but I'm in a shallow, warm water spot with little water movement.

If time is a factor and need some speed, buy accordingly. Most trawlers are slow (but works fine for some). But if you have time, your range is easily doable with a slow boat. And and economical, single engine, mid 30s trawler does have some advantages.

2 couples, 2 staterooms unless they are comfortable on the converted bench seat.
When my sweetie's folks came in from Vietnam, I gave up the only stateroom to them. Reason? I wake early and rattle around the saloon. Yen and I used the pull out berth in the saloon.
The American Tug has two doors to the head. One in the stateroom and one at the base of the stairs. I told them to keep the stateroom door close so we didn't wake them when using the head.

Sorry for the cornfusion but i was what was called the pest on the rink - i could get guys to start hockey fights most games.

This is great forum software that is being used (have used it at tearjerkers and Airstream and others) but as a IT guy since 68 (HS) - it should have pulled the state from the profile data like it pulls city; vessel name; vessel model - only one point of entry of info, but

I am floored by all the great replies and time everyone has taken - sincerely thanks

but also it reminded us when we took kids to san juan islands and rented a captained boat (for 6 days) out of port angeles - we spent all cruising time on flying bridge - the whole family - only time we where below including the captain was when docking

Looks like you answered your own question there!

If the flybridge is a pleasant place to be (seating, shade etc) it will almost always be the hangout place except in much bigger boats with aft cockpits, hot tubs crew etc :)

Dont forget shade, especially in your planned South FL location.

Some boats you can put the hot tub up near the bridge. Just don't put it too close, too tempting and rule 5 will suffer as a result.

He did say Naples Fla in his first sentence.

Yes, Hopcar, but here's the thing most don't appear to appreciate. Once that first Welcome Mat post becomes history, so to speak, and slides off the current post list, it is gone, and that info with it, so if the info is not also in the avatar/profile ID on the left under the posters name, you can no longer see it. That's why I continue to plead for folk to put more detail in their profile. How hard can it be..? :)

After viewing the Beneteau Antares 11 boat on their website and actually "building" one I am not impressed with the costs. $356k is a lot of money to pay for a boat that in reality would be crowded with more then 2 couples for extended times. Twin 300's will burn lots of fuel at fast cruise speeds and slow cruising will be "work" without an auto pilot installed. Water tank of 53 gallons will last 4 people about 2-3 days. No mention of holding tank size either, figure small? Where is dinghy stored at? $27k for a diesel generator installed, wonder how big the fuel tank is? Probably a misprint but hot water tank is 220 volts, if correct does this mean no hot water on shore power? Definitely get the flybridge as it gives an area that permits "separation" when needed, remote controlled windlass is nice to have too and a bimini top at minimum for fly bridge. Great weekend boat for a couple or two in warm weather areas but would not be my choice to live on for extended periods even with one couple.

Last edited:
Looked at pictures.....
one couple= comfortable if they live out a seabag. Where to hide the kids or company.
Basically not enough storage for anything.
Wet head??
No mention of holding tank
Loop boat? Maybe.....
I do like the flip out side.
I suspect the outboards provide charging to house and starting batteries.

Last edited:
Yes, Hopcar, but here's the thing most don't appear to appreciate. Once that first Welcome Mat post becomes history, so to speak, and slides off the current post list, it is gone, and that info with it, so if the info is not also in the avatar/profile ID on the left under the posters name, you can no longer see it. That's why I continue to plead for folk to put more detail in their profile. How hard can it be..? :)

You make a good point. Maybe the field should be changed from “City” to Location? That would encourage people to supply more information.

Another :thumb: for flybridges...and I shoot photos of bridges as a past time. I have opened dozens in and around the California Delta and the SF Bay and never really had a problem with it...although bridge outages can cause a change of plans/rerouting occasionally.

That Beneteau boat seems set up like a more modern and faster version of my 34 LRC Californian but with gasoline and lots of power/speed in the form of twin 300 OBs. I prefer the thrift, safety and easy pace of my twin 85HP Perkins diesels but I'm never really on a schedule when I'm aboard.

I set up my boat to routinely anchor/gunkhole while solo for 2 weeks at a time away from all docks (1 week with 2 folks aboard). It takes a balance of electrical generation/battery storage, sanitation capacity, fresh water storage capacity and food refrigeration/storage/prep to be able to anchor out and remain self-sufficient for prolonged periods. Tank capacities for fresh water and holding are critical...but unlike RVs, you won't have to worry about storing grey water on most boats. In my area of Northern California, Air Conditioning is not required so I don't miss it and don't require a large genset to power it.

Have you considered buying a used boat with diesel inboard(s) to meet your desires? I purchased mine for less than 1/6 of that boat's starting price which leaves lots of $$ for repairs, routine maintenance and customizing improvements. Many of us have gone through several seemingly "perfect boats" trying to find the 'just right fit". Hopefully you'll enjoy the hunt as much as the perfect vessel when you find her.

Good hunting!!!

Just left Naples FL after 21 years to cruise fullrime
Slips are hard to come by currently as are good used boats - so good luck with your search.

A wiser and older FL boater and his wife told me they spend more time at the dermatologist than at the beach. I first saw a proper pilothouse on a Krogen Whaleback and fell in love with the space. A flybridge is awesome in the proper weather and lighting conditions. A pilothouse is comfortable in a wider range of conditions and has far less sun exposure. Our forward slanting windshield reduces glare and has other benefits; some flybridges have these, too. 7 of our 11 pilothouse windows open with screens. Heat and AC are available. Heat we use, AC has not been needed with the breeze underway. We access the pilothouse inside via stairs, not outside via ladder. We have 1 set of controls and instruments.

I loved the Whaleback until the very experienced salesman ran her aground. It was a soft grounding and he motored her off. But it got me thinking; 5’draft is a lot in FL. We ended up with a Mirage GH37: pilothouse and 3’ draft. Very happy. [but almost everyone loves their boat…]

A lot depends on your planned use. We are St Pete, FL based, but presently cruising the loop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom