Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you are right Conrad.
One of these days I will catch up with the owners and confirm.

Ted

Quite sure she’s a motor sailer.
Nice hull. No fwd visibility.
CQR anchor usually indicates a sailboat owner.

Good call. Zooming in on the photo, it looks like there might be a mast step sort of affair in front of the pilothouse windows.

Interesting! Would love to see interior pics and his cruising style/history

Jack,(Steve)
That is a little runabout around 20’ with little or no accommodations.
It can scoot though.
He passed me in Bellingham Bay the other day doing Mach III and then I was tied up next to him at the Seaview dock.
I am guessing Bellingham to Eastsound for him is thirty minutes!

Attachments

• jnryhjy.JPG
    jnryhjy.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Very cool boat. But explain the cowl vents mounted to the deck with no dorade boxes. Seems like a disaster ESU to no to happen. IMG_0368.JPG

WOOD hull, teak decks
Lots of room for the crew.

I do hope the next owner has many happy hours cruising and continues to have it professional maintained.

May be the rest of the box is under the deck with drainage off the side of the hull. Couldn’t access the full listing and rest of the pics.
Have seen that. Cowlings removed and cover plate screwed in before getting underway so nice walk ways. Put back at anchor to allow good ventilation when at anchor.
Never seen it on a power boat though.

Last edited:
May be the rest of the box is under the deck with drainage off the side of the hull.

Definitely possible. I keep debating building internal dorade boxes like that for my stupidly placed engine room vents.

When I had a galley hood and fan installed, I had a dorade box made for the outside vent even thought it vents to the upper deck, if for no other reason than to keep the rain out. SMILE Now, instead of the dorade vent, I really should install a pipe taller than the pilot house roof and install a multi-directional vent. I will let the next owner worry about that.

"Huge rudder. Imagine when the more that large plate is swung considerably to one side or the other that prop wash might at least somewhat work for turning the boat. Higher rpm probably makes for more turning wash. Lower rpm not so much; but, at idle with twins and thruster maneuvering should still be relatively easy. I would not like to handle that boat with single center rudder and out side props in a dangerous following sea. And... 5 blade props??? prop efficiency decreases per number of blades. Wonder if the turn-handling problems has owner try different props in search of best combo of outside duals for single center rudder?"

We have a friend with the same setup, twins on a single rudder. He can put that boat where guys like me with twins and twin rudders fear to go. He admitted to a learning curve when the boat was new to him, but very quickly overcame it. That was before he put in a bow thruster. Now there is nothing that discourages him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very round bottoms...For the young at heart!!

Attachments

• 55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    55 Gallon drum Barge.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 43
Similar

58’ William Garden, built 1952. Single articulating fishtail rudder, twin Lugger’s 165hp each, 30” wheels. Steadiest on track boat I ever steered. Quiet, no fuss, slippery 249E17BB-308C-4BA4-8D3E-853E94F08CC9.jpg

D82A3DF6-8A45-4D2A-9D68-C455BDD5DF98.jpg

1874A897-F0BA-46EA-9BAF-B54794CA6D71.jpg

Beautiful boat!!!
If I had a 58ft boat, I could empty my storeroom and devote a closet to my sweetie.

58’ William Garden, built 1952. Single articulating fishtail rudder, twin Lugger’s 165hp each, 30” wheels. Steadiest on track boat I ever steered. Quiet, no fuss, slippery View attachment 117563

View attachment 117564

View attachment 117565

t c - Your boat has my heart!

In regard to your many experiences... How does she track in slow forward
speed, respond in reverse and handle during following seas? The first two I'm confident are muchly taken care of by alternating propeller propulsion directions and rpm. The third I believe would be somewhat automatically accommodated due to her slicing stern design. However, if a breach were to begin... that enormous articulating rudder do the trick of straightening her back up?

I respectfully ask these questions simply because I've never handled a design such as yours with twins to the sides and rudder in center. She is beautiful and was born same year as me!

Last edited:
t c - Your boat has my heart!

speed, respond in reverse and handle during following seas? The first two I'm confident are muchly taken care of by alternating propeller propulsion directions and rpm. The third I believe would be somewhat automatically accommodated due to her slicing stern design. However, if a breach were to begin... that enormous articulating rudder do the trick of straightening her back up?

I respectfully ask these questions simply because I've never handled a design such as yours with twins to the sides and rudder in center. She is beautiful and was born same year as me!

That rudder is big enough that the limited prop wash over it shouldn't be much of an issue handling wise. And if turned far enough, it'll defect some wash from one of the props anyway.

UOTE=Art;1003073]t c - Your boat has my heart!

speed, respond in reverse and handle during following seas?at 61 tons I idle in neutral a lot in close quarters and she responds just fine down to a knot. I want to add a jog stick, hyd. A with power assist idling a big wheel is more work than fun. Reverse? No boat steers in reverse, using strait rudder and props I get around fine in reverse. Following seas I have yet to enjoy, I have reports it tracks like a train m The first two I'm confident are muchly taken care of by alternating propeller propulsion directions and rpm. The third I believe would be somewhat automatically accommodated due to her slicing stern design. However, if a breach were to begin... that enormous articulating rudder do the trick of straightening her back up?

I respectfully ask these questions simply because I've never handled a design such as yours with twins to the sides and rudder in center. She is beautiful and was born same year as me![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Twins with plenty of prop walk steer just fine in reverse. Just have to get used to ignoring the rudder(s). Leave them centered and only steer with the engines. If you want to turn, take one engine out of gear and you'll turn that direction. To turn tighter, give a kick of forward thrust on that engine and the turn will tighten.

Twins with plenty of prop walk steer just fine in reverse. Just have to get used to ignoring the rudder(s). Leave them centered and only steer with the engines. If you want to turn, take one engine out of gear and you'll turn that direction. To turn tighter, give a kick of forward thrust on that engine and the turn will tighten.

That’s it right there. Just start backward and see what she wants, adjust direction with props while you continue backing��

Going strait, 8-9 knots, the auto pilot adjusts in very small amounts. I suspect a one degree rudder angle is accentuated by the tail flap: video of the rudder in action.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pHCNJheWfSyHM_AU278Sdu13nwzIKbA

t c - Thanks! I see how rudder articulation mechanism works... cool! I bet that well assists for propwash to throw beam of water helping to turn boat.

I imagine so the hinge and slide bar don't get gummed up by sea growth that fairly often the rudder should be thrown full over to each side. That's a use it or loose it situation...

Last edited:
++++++++However, if a breach were to begin... that enormous articulating rudder do the trick of straightening her back up?+++++++++

It will if you are on the ball. When in a following rough sea and the boat does not want to straighten up even with full wheel then a STRONG shot of engine power will push a BEEG stream of water past the rudder. Use it.

I am not talking about enough throttle to pick up a bunch of speed, but a quick strong shot of throttle and then back off to your normal revs.

My boat is quite different, a lot smaller, with essentially a planing hull and a flat transom so I do get pushed. Yours should not get pushed to that degree but if you feel the boat not responding use that throttle.

t c - Thanks! I see how rudder articulation mechanism works... cool! I bet that well assists for propwash to throw beam of water helping to turn boat.

I imagine so the hinge and slide bar don't get gummed up by sea growth that fairly often the rudder should be thrown full over to each side. That's a use it or loose it situation...
Yes, tolerance are loose probably for that reason, with no prop in front of this rudder, propwash does not effect steering. It actually one of the factors in the boat cruising so smooth, no turbulent water over the rudder ( no vibration)

++++++++However, if a breach were to begin... that enormous articulating rudder do the trick of straightening her back up?+++++++++

It will if you are on the ball. When in a following rough sea and the boat does not want to straighten up even with full wheel then a STRONG shot of engine power will push a BEEG stream of water past the rudder. Use it.

I am not talking about enough throttle to pick up a bunch of speed, but a quick strong shot of throttle and then back off to your normal revs.

My boat is quite different, a lot smaller, with essentially a planing hull and a flat transom so I do get pushed. Yours should not get pushed to that degree but if you feel the boat not responding use that throttle.

So many factors effect a boats behavior. If your vessel is overwhelmed from behind you will have to rely on my things you can’t control. Center of boyancy, center of gravity, bow shape and weight, if she’s balanced or not on the ends etc. angle of the overtaking seas,your speed, on and on. If she’s cranky and unstable by design, you neeed throttle and steering tricks. But those efforts are not as critical as the built in features. Down swell is the least stable course.

Last edited:
I can steer my Willard when backing from about 1.5 to 2.4 knots. But I can accurately steer the boat.

Last edited:
I can steer my Willard when backing from about 1.5 to 2.4 knots. Need to hold on tight to insure the rudder dos’nt flop over. That could cause some damage. But I can accurately steer the boat.
That’s the sweet balance shape giving you great performance.

Down swell is the least stable course.

Only for a slow boat. Once you can outrun the waves, down wind changes from unstable to a fast and fun rocket ride. In 4 footers, down wind is the fastest and most comfortable direction to run for my boat. Just set engines to max continuous and start a cycle of slow down and climb, pitch over, accelerate / surf, repeat. All in good comfort and with just a light touch on the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom