View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #27
Newtrawlerowner

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
While I don't live aboard I also had the dream of doing so when I bought my 1st boat. I loved it, my wife not so much. I never did sell my house but would fly from my Denver home to Florida for a 2-3 week stretch almost every month. Costly yes but I wanted to try it before I committed. On my second boat now and do plan on doing the loop. Started planning last year and hope to start next year. Some have suggested not trying to do it in 1 year, I think that's good advice. Too much to see to be in a hurry.

My best advice is as mentioned by others. You want to be handy as there are many things that will need fixing and upgrading. Some simple others not so. I've realized that this can be an expensive way to live, something many people don't realize. Bottom cleaning, slip rental, insurance, upgrades, repairs, etc. etc. etc. And if you keep it in a hurricane zone (Texas to Massachusetts), you might want to have a hurricane plan. There is a very large thread here on annual costs. Read every response. 10% of initial cost annually is realistic. Some years less, some more. Also once you decide what you would like to buy, come back here and ask lots of questions. Also there are other forums like Face Book and others although I think this is the best I've found. Many friendly and helpful people with little politics. Good luck on your search.
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote