How to secure line to haws horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nauticlew

Vessel Name
Antonia
Vessel Make
Ocean Nova 38
What is the proper and secure way to tie a line to the horns of a haws hole? Unlike a cleat, in which the final turn “locks” the line to the cleat, a turn or two around the horns won’t secure the line. My habit has been to reeve the line on the horns with several figure eights. I’m seeking a better way, one that is faster to untie and securely “locks” the line.

What is the proper and secure way to tie a line to the horns of a haws hole? Unlike a cleat, in which the final turn “locks” the line to the cleat, a turn or two around the horns won’t secure the line. My habit has been to reeve the line on the horns with several figure eights. I’m seeking a better way, one that is faster to untie and securely “locks” the line.

As with a cleat located just inside the hawse, I would use the spliced loop on the end of the line and tie the dock end. If the loop isn't long enough to fit, the next line should be specified with a longer loop, but putting a too short loop over one horn and looping the line over the second horn should be enough. The point of having horns is to eliminate chafing that may occur where the cleat is more than a few inches away from the hawse.

If the horns are large enough you should be able to do a hitch on the horns. Start to do a figure eight and when you get to the second horn turn the line so that there is a half hitch on the horn. Then you can always do a half hitch on the first horn if you need to.

We use 5/8" mooring lines. When cleating off to the hawse hole, we go around once then 1 lock where the tag end is under the crossover until we get settled in the slip then add a second lock before leaving the boat.

On my N46, I treated them just like a horizontal cleat. I put the loop end on the dock, put the free end on the boat. That way I can adjust the line on the boat.
If you are riding out a hurricane at the dock, you can to out and adjust the lines without attempting leaving boat. Gotta account for the storm surge too. Alas, I have only gone 3 or 4 near miss hurricanes, mostly on the 'clean side' except for one and then it was the 'dirty side.'
If for some reason you ordered lines with short loops, put the bitter end on the dock using a bowline to make the loops long enough to feed through the cleat and then over the ears. Cant do that? Loop double around the dock cleat and then to the boat.
Double up the line? I like to use two lines.

Last edited:
On working boats the line is never locked to the horn, just out on with many crossings.

Perhaps thinner line could be used , say 7/16 or 1/2 inch?

On working boats the line is never locked to the horn, just out on with many crossings.

Perhaps thinner line could be used , say 7/16 or 1/2 inch?

My N46 lines were 1 inch. When tied to the dock, the lines were always 'locked' to the cleat horns.

If the problem is from horns on a hawse hole , they are always short to save ankles.

Use an eye splice over the two horns , the splice works will go out the hole and be very good at resisting abrasion.

Back
Top Bottom