Help Identifying Water Pump Ford Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyO

We just purchased a 1978 Marine Trader DC 37. I was not able to get to the marina myself but my son was able to get into the engine room and take a photo of the water pump. This is on a Ford Lehman 120.

I'd like to order a couple of impellers for the raw water pump but am not sure which pump we have.

Can anyone identify it from this photo ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks !

JohnnyO

Attachments

• waterpump.jpg
    waterpump.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
Remove the existing impeller and look for numbers. Our Jabsco pumps have three different impeller choices so I've stuck with OEM selected size by numbers since new.

Being a new to you vessel did per chance the surveyor do a sea trial run to full rated RPM to ascertain the state of health for the entire cooling system? Enjoy your boat.

If you cannot find a parts number for the impeller, look for the parts number of the pump.
If all else fails, remove it, go to West Marine or another marine parts store. They should have a placemat to lay your current impeller for size etc.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Before you buy impellers, it might be to your advantage to actually identify exactly what pump you have. IF it is an original pump it may be the old style drive system which are prone to failure (sorry don't know exactly how to describe this other than "old style"). Any impellers you buy may be redundant and not compatible if and when (highly recommended) you change over to the "new style" pump.
I vaguely recall the new pumps are available in 3/4" and 1" sizes. Get the larger size, if possible (more cooling flow).

VERY easy to swap out. Two bolts and two hoses.

New and improved pumps are available from American Diesel and probably Bomac.

Last edited:
Looks like the Johnson replacement pump to me.
Look near the bottom of this list.

Attachments

• Lehman parts price list.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 63
It's a Johnson pump alright. I replaced the original Jabsco pumps in both my Lehman 120s with them. I second the idea to call American Diesel.

Welcome aboard. Call Brian at American Diesel. He is the guru on Lehmans. 804-435-3107

Just don’t try to call him on a Monday morning. He will be really busy answering all the calls from boaters that had a problem on the weekend.

Thank you all for responding. Lots of information shared.

I went to the marina today and we do in fact have the Johnson pump.

Johnson Pump AB
F5B-9

Are we good with this pump or do we need to change it ? Several guys at the club recommended American Diesel.

Thanks !

JohnnyO

Attachments

• pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 24
Johnson Pump 10-24140-5 F5B-9 Impeller
Available from Amazon, $28 each.

Pump is Jabsco replacement. Should be good for many years of service. I keep spare impellers on hand and spare cover screws because one always disappears every time I take cover off.

You can rebuild the pump if it is ever necessary (rarely) or you could buy a new pump in which case I would increase size to 1" for better cooling.

Last edited:
American Diesel is run/owned by the son, Brian, of the guy who originally marinized the Ford engine by the name of Bob Smith.

Brian is carrying on and is building his own reputation for knowledge and service/support of these old engines.

That's why people keep recommending that if you have a Ford Lehman engine , any of the Lehmans, that you contact him.

NOt that you can't get help here but there are some questions that you may need Brian for.

And no I do not own a Lehman engine.

I fitted ADC update pumps to the Lehmans on my last boat, fairly sure they were Johnson. Made in Sweden, not so sure. Your cover and screws look way younger than 1978. I recall impressive drive gears on the driven end of the update.

American Diesel is run/owned by the son, Brian, of the guy who originally marinized the Ford engine by the name of Bob Smith.

Brian is carrying on and is building his own reputation for knowledge and service/support of these old engines.

That's why people keep recommending that if you have a Ford Lehman engine , any of the Lehmans, that you contact him.

NOt that you can't get help here but there are some questions that you may need Brian for.

And no I do not own a Lehman engine.

+1 except I do have Lehmans and Brian is a treasured asset.

I would replace the slot head cover plate screws with socket head (Allen) screws. Makes life much easier.

I would replace the slot head cover plate screws with socket head (Allen) screws. Makes life much easier.

I put on Speedseal covers. They are great but unfortunately they went out of business. They have thumb screws. Still use channel locks to tighten them up but it is simple to do. Much better than the straight slot or even allen head screws.

Welcome aboard. Call Brian at American Diesel. He is the guru on Lehmans. 804-435-3107

As a Lehman 120 owner myself, i find it particularly annoying a TF moderator would incessantly direct all discussion away from the forum to "Brian" at "American Diesel." Are you paid by Brian for every phone call he gets?

Lehmans are certainly the most common motor in TF members' boats. Why not keep the discussions here for everyone to see, hence creating a massive Lehman knowledge base here on TF?

I have yet to observe a mechanical problem described here in this forum that has not been resolved by a knowledgeable TF member. I'll wager Ski's knowledge is as good as any mechanic in N. America. He has yet to lead someone here astray and as far as I know, his prognosis is always correct the first time around.

Thank you, Bligh. I have had the same thought for quite some time. Bothering Brian, a great resource, with simple questions is an unreasonable imposition on his time.
As a Lehman 120 owner myself, i find it particularly annoying a TF moderator would incessantly direct all discussion away from the forum to "Brian" at "American Diesel." Are you paid by Brian for every phone call he gets?

Lehmans are certainly the most common motor in TF members' boats. Why not keep the discussions here for everyone to see, hence creating a massive Lehman knowledge base here on TF?

I have yet to observe a mechanical problem described here in this forum that has not been resolved by a knowledgeable TF member. I'll wager Ski's knowledge is as good as any mechanic in N. America. He has yet to lead someone here astray and as far as I know, his prognosis is always correct the first time around.

First, I have no affiliation with American Diesel at all except for being a very satisfied customer. Second, moderators are not prohibited from posting their opinions. I post AD info since many members may not know about them. My posting about AD doesn’t, and is not intended to, stop any other discussion. There are many ways to resolve a problem, AD is one of them.

We just purchased a 1978 Marine Trader DC 37. I was not able to get to the marina myself but my son was able to get into the engine room and take a photo of the water pump. This is on a Ford Lehman 120.

I'd like to order a couple of impellers for the raw water pump but am not sure which pump we have.

Can anyone identify it from this photo ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks !

JohnnyO
My experience is with American Diesel has been excellent on anything Lehman.

Contact American Diesel:
(804)435-3107
lehmandiesel@gmail.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom