Painting Outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
What would be some recommended paints for repainting an outboard? My old Mercury is completely faded. Besides actual manufacturer’s paint, how about something like an exterior grade Big Box store coating? Wouldn’t mind changing the color somewhat as well.
IMG_0261.jpg

Personally I am a big fan of painting outboards as an anti-theft measure. Other than don't have anything to offer.

What would be some recommended paints for repainting an outboard? My old Mercury is completely faded. Besides actual manufacturer’s paint, how about something like an exterior grade Big Box store coating? Wouldn’t mind changing the color somewhat as well.
View attachment 117376

My first inflatable had a used Johnson 15 that needed painting. I was able to get new decals (Deeecals for you Americans) so just went to the local auto parts store to get a couple of rattle cans of matching paint. Looked like new till it died.

My first inflatable had a used Johnson 15 that needed painting. I was able to get new decals (Deeecals for you Americans) so just went to the local auto parts store to get a couple of rattle cans of matching paint. Looked like new till it died.

Did it die due to the new paint...

Did it die due to the new paint...

HA.

I used to give it a "Champion Tune up" at the start of every season, till I bought a set of Bosch Plugs and found out the plugs could actually last several seasons.

Pull to start. The kids weren't allowed to run the dinghy until they could start the outboard by themselves. Each of them learned on that old Johnson. Wore that sucker out.

I was thinking along the lines of Rust-Oleum Topsides paint. Not too expensive, but would need to be sprayed for a professional finish.

Trying to avoid the amateur finish that I always get with spray paints.

Ive said it before, I'll say it again.

"Never use ANYTHING you buy at Menards, (Costco, Walmart, Home Depot) on your boat"!!!

pete

The majority of the work will be in the prep. Why go cheap on the paint? I would use a 2 part poly paint. Quantum makes rattle cans with 2 part poly paint. Jamestown Distributers sells it for about $70 per can. But then you are done forever, almost anyway.

I painted my 70 hp Yamaha with Yamaha spray paint. Comes in a rattle can, after a few coats it came out good. They have decals as well.IMG_8708.jpg

So you were happy with the quality of the spray can application - did it look “factory finish” to you?

I think I need to practice some more [emoji846]

So you were happy with the quality of the spray can application - did it look “factory finish” to you?

I think I need to practice some more [emoji846]

I could have had it professional sprayed for $250, buy a new cowl for $650 or a $10 rattle can from Yamaha. Not factory finish, but good enough for my uses?

Get creative and take it over to a sign shop and have them wrap it with a cool color pattern. Or maybe red mouth, white teeth jaws like the old P51’s had.
IMG_0036.jpg

Wound up using Rustoleum gloss black and also some metallic blue for accents. New decals. Lots of sanding including wet sanding down to 800 grit. Looks HOT and gets installed tomorrow. IMG_0905.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom