It's happened again. Boat meets rock in Prevost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
Just happened in the past 15 minutes. A Grand Banks landed on the rocks in Prevost Harbor. Saw him coming in and thought to myself he is going to fast to be entering a anchorage. Probably doing 8 kts. when he hit. I can see what I think is bilge pump water that has been coming out since it happened. The tide was high about 1 1/2 hours ago and is now going out. Not a good thing.

Attachments

• DSC_0004 (1).jpg
    DSC_0004 (1).jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 313
Somebody should sacrifice one of their crab pot floats or an empty bleach bottle, tie enough line to account for tides to something heavy they don't care about, and drop it on top of the rocks there :eek:

Too bad he wasn't reading the thread about the Northwester. Wouldn't be there now.

In the East, hundreds wander out of the channel every day during the summer months...

Granted the results aren't as onerous, but it goes to show how many boaters out of the pack have it happen to them.

Been in there dozens of times over the years and never a problem but were always very careful and moving slow.

Maybe he was glued to the screen saying “right over there was the Nor....”. CRASH.

Actually, I don’t want to tease anyone for running aground, it’s easy enough to do with the least bit of complacency.

I hope he comes out okay. Get him some toilet bowl wax if he needs it. There is time to dingy to Roche and have the hardware store drop them by. Actually, we have some great towboat folks in the area, somebody should get them on scene. It’s not worth the risk not to.

Looks like tonights high tide is about 3' higher than it was this afternoon, so they've got one shot at this. Hope things go smoothly from here on out!

We've got a bunch of those toilet wax rings aboard our boat...just in case.

Last edited:
What do you do with toilet wax rings?

A continous flow of bilge pump water is certainly not a good sign. Probably indicated a hole somewhere in the hull. Depending on the tide, it doesn't look like that boat will sink, it is firmly on the bottom.

Could conceiveably be "relocated" bilge water. Or maybe one of his water tanks is overflowing due to the list of the boat. (Who a I kidding? there is a hole in the hull)

I wish the owner luck, hope he is fully insured.

pete

A continous flow of bilge pump water is certainly not a good sign. Probably indicated a hole somewhere in the hull. Depending on the tide, it doesn't look like that boat will sink, it is firmly on the bottom.

Could conceiveably be "relocated" bilge water. Or maybe one of his water tanks is overflowing due to the list of the boat. (Who a I kidding? there is a hole in the hull)

I wish the owner luck, hope he is fully insured.

pete

Hole in the hull, crack around a smashed shaft strut, something is definitely up. Whether it's fatal or not depends on just how bad the damage is and how they can get it off the rocks.

Pretty sure it's the same as this stuff:

Exactly, except you can get the toilet wax rings almost anywhere and they are dirt cheap. It’s not a structural repair, but if a plank is sprung or a strut bolt torn out, it’s a pretty simple solution.

The tides are going to come back in really quick, we have a big exchange. Starting now, it’s going to rise a foot an hour for the next 8 hours. Now is the time to make any patches when you can stand next to her, free haul out.

Pretty boat, hope they come through it without paying too high of a stupid tax. I’ve contributed my fair share to the stupid tax jar over the years.

Here is the latest.

First of all this is not the same rock. The Northwester hit a rock out side of Prevost Harbor and this boat hit the reef inside of the harbor.

This is a charter boat and was out on charter, four people on board. Tow Boats US have been on scene all day, plugging some potential leaks and preparing to tow it off at 11:00 tonight. It is resting on the starboard stabilizer fin. It will be towed back to Anacortes and hauled out there. Here are more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0005 (1).jpg
    DSC_0005 (1).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 249
Prevost Harbor! Hey look, there are lots of boats in there. Let's take a short cut to get a good anchorage spot. Not.

Toilet bowl rings? Davis Seam Slick has been around since before the expensive stuff and is still cheaper than a dozen toilet bowl rings.

It also works as a substitute for "Butch Wax" for those of you retro hair-do boaters.

Looks like the stabilizer fin may be helping prevent further damage to the running gear and hull. Great pictures, the owner of that boat probably had a really sucky phone call today.

This is one of my go to anchorages and this is rough seeing folks going aground.

Hopefully the owner had the boat just for an investment and charter income. And not his baby with a lot of emotional attachment.

Murray's signature: "The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" might be restated: "The safest path between two points may not be a straight line"

The last couple weeks of boat grounding is giving me a little anxiety. I believe i have good and current charts but i dont have bay knowledge .
Rod

That looks like the hull held up pretty darn well. And that stabilizer fin definitely came in handy, as it would have flopped over a whole lot further without it. I'd be curious to know if there's any damage to the stabilizer or mounting area (beyond some scrapes on the fin) at haulout.

Not sure why people find this so confusing. If you can't read, just follow the colors. You need to stay away from the dark blue, the water is getting shallow, this is the danger zone. And if your in the green, well, it's probably to late!

I have marked the rocks where these groundings happened with a way point. There is another smaller reef in the bay that I see boats try to run over. It has a fairly smooth top so most boats can back off it. Click on image to enlarge.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 351
and then there is the 'as seen on TV' tape and goop.
I think the first line of defense would be the wax seal.
If the hole is large, raps etc, anything to slow down the water flow.

I was hunting a private channel in my N46. I was moving very slow..... nudged into clay.
I should have tried the other side of the buoys (plastic floats) for they are often revered when marking private channels. I just went and found another well marked channel.

I was taught, privately maintained channels have their buoys reversed but people disagree with me. SHRUG

Update

The boat is gone this morning. And as of yesterday the Norwester was still floating with just the bow above the water off the west side of Henry Island.

and then there is the 'as seen on TV' tape and goop.
I think the first line of defense would be the wax seal.
If the hole is large, raps etc, anything to slow down the water flow.

I was hunting a private channel in my N46. I was moving very slow..... nudged into clay.
I should have tried the other side of the buoys (plastic floats) for they are often revered when marking private channels. I just went and found another well marked channel.

I was taught, privately maintained channels have their buoys reversed but people disagree with me. SHRUG

Never saw one myself that wasn't correct, but you never know as little as many boaters actually know....

This is supposed to happen....

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...FR-2019-title33-vol1-part66.xml#seqnum66.01-5

§ 66.01-5 Application procedure. To establish and maintain, discontinue, change, or transfer ownership of a private aid to navigation, you must apply to the Commander of the Coast Guard District in which the aid is or will be located. You can find application form CG-2554 at http://www.uscg.mil/forms/form_public_use.asp. You must complete all parts of the form applicable to the aid concerned, and must forward the application to the District Commander. You must include the following information:

§ 66.01-10 Characteristics. The characteristics of a private aid to navigation must conform to those prescribed by the United States Aids to Navigation System set forth in subpart B of part 62 of this subchapter.
[USCG-2000-7466, 68 FR 68238, Dec. 8, 2003]

Somebody has to say this so it might as well be me:

Reason number 75 not to charter your boat.

~A

Reason number 75 not to charter your boat.

Now that the long insurance process has begun, how much responsibility does the charter company bear, for ensuring a charteree is fully qualified to set out in a vessel like this?
Or any vessel?
Are there any “local considerations” to the extent of those qualifications?

Anacortes Yacht Charters

Will Russell Clifton volunteer or likely be called as a witness?

Saw him coming in and thought to myself he is going to fast to be entering a anchorage. Probably doing 8 kts. when he hit.

With the explosion of new boaters, at least on this coast, I imagine CG, SAR and tow operators will have a very busy summer.

In reference to the Norwester grounding and “marked /unmarked,” even the “not for navigation” 1983 edition of Marine Atlas, Volume 1, shows the “Rk”. In those days, navigating with paper charts, a depth sounder and compass, attention to detail was in ones DNA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom