Advice on a Prairie 36.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. We haven't purchased the trawler yet but we're seeing that we would rarely run the boat at 8k. 2.5GPH does seem about right. The seller had first told us 6GPH and we felt for sure that was wrong. Then we got a text from them a short while ago and they said 3GPH.

Thanks. We haven't purchased the trawler yet but we're seeing that we would rarely run the boat at 8k. 2.5GPH does seem about right. The seller had first told us 6GPH and we felt for sure that was wrong. Then we got a text from them a short while ago and they said 3GPH.

Which boat is this you're looking at? I try to follow Prairies for sale and I know a few are on the market now, or have recently been. If you end up buying, it's good to have other Prairie owners to bounce ideas off. We're a pretty small group!

The guy I bought mine from cruised at 10 knots. I knew on the sea trial I'd never cruise at that speed, just by looking at the size of the wake. My guess is he'd burn at least 10GPH (2NMPG) at that speed. By slowing down a bit I can go 50% farther (3NM) on the same gallon of fuel.

Seems like a solid boat from just the pics. Frankly I'd be happier with those engines than my big 6-cyl turbos. The first owner of my boat did the repower. Oh well.

Most of the later 36's had a centerline berth in the aft cabin instead of the opposite-side bunks. I guess that's a personal preference.

My survey dinged the wipers, too. PO had bought replacement motors but wired them up wrong. The switch is on the ground side. Oops. My guess is your insurance company will want that and the electrical work fixed, so factor that into the price. The electronics are the usual mix you'd find on any old boat. Presumably you'll want some upgrades. Autopilot is nice to have, but may not be critical depending on where you go.

I can't advise you on the price. Their figure is probably a bit high, as asking prices usually are. It's hard to price a boat that old. So much depends on condition, the market and finding the right buyer. Of course you should get a survey if you haven't already.

We made and offer and it was accepted! Waiting to hear when the survey will take place. Very excited and appreciated all the help with our questions earlier.

Congratulations!

Be sure to keep us all posted!

We bought the boat! 1979 36' Prairie Boat Works. So very excited to join the community. I'm sure we will have questions along the way. Thanks CaptTom for your help.

Congratulations!!

Where's your home port? Would love to swing by and see it if I'm ever passing through.

Feel free to keep the questions coming.

We bought the boat! 1979 36' Prairie Boat Works. So very excited to join the community. I'm sure we will have questions along the way. Thanks CaptTom for your help.

Congrats on your new boat. We will need photos.

We're moving it to Hampton VA this coming weekend. Old Point Comfort Marina. We'd love to meet you, and yes, we will have lots of questions on this forum. Already having an issue with septic smell from the area of the macerator. The past owner never used it but it was tested during the marine survey. Thinking we woke the sleeping dragon. Wondering if we should have it removed or if it needs to be cleaned.

Before you jump into the macerator, check the hoses. They are the most likely reason for head smells. Take a clean rag and wet it with hot water. Lay it on the suspect hose and let it dry. Remove it and see if the rag smells. If it does the hose is permeated and needs replacement. The hose that doesn’t permeate and is very flexible is SaniFlex hose. I buy it from Defender, they sell it by the foot. No affiliation.

Reactions: MAP
If there is one drop of fluid under the pump you will smell it. Go over the clamps and pump seal area with white paper towels. Good luck.

I can't figure out how to share photos. I did create a photo album with 3 pics so far.

When you post a reply there is a box below”additional options “ that has a manage attachments. Click on that button and it will bring up a box that lets you choose a file. Then select the file and click on the upload button. After it uploads close the choose file box. You can preview your post if you like and then submit the reply.

Giving it a try. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• Attachment(1).jpeg
    Attachment(1).jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 25
Beautiful boat, congrats ! We just bought one on the left coast ! Very excited ! Will be watching for more advice from you.

Great looking boat!

Kevin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom