Tools for full time cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vise!!! 2 boats needed a vise.
My N46 and now my AT34.
The ER of the N46 was totally cluttered and had NO space.
The ER of the AT34 has space over the main engine but, cleaning up after use would be very time consuming. Plus I dont want metal shaving in the ER.
Results, no vise onboard. SHRUG
I have considered mounting on a long board but, where to store it on a AT34 is the problem. LOL

Question: If you watch TV enough, you have seen the infomercial on the electric. small, circular saw. (the name escapes me) Anyone have experience with one?

Last edited:
watching youtube the other day....don't recall the channel.... the guy mounted a vice to the under side of an under seat settee storage hatch in a sail boat.

looking at photos recently of some random boat for sale, they had a bench grinder permanently mounted in the engine room. wire wheel on one side.... i can imagine that coming in handy for cleaning small parts....

I have a Wilton clamp on vise. Just a matter of finding a non-damaging place on the boat to attach it or a convenient board on a dock. It has come in handy but since it’s not something I use every day, it can be stowed out of the way.

Vise!!! 2 boats needed a vise.
My N46 and now my AT34.
The ER of the N46 was totally cluttered and had NO space.
The ER of the AT34 has space over the main engine but, cleaning up after use would be very time consuming. Plus I dont want metal shaving in the ER.
Results, no vise onboard. SHRUG
I have considered mounting on a long board but, where to store it on a AT34 is the problem...

I mounted a small-ish vise to about a 2’ piece of 2x8 which stores fairly easily.

Somewhat awkward to use as you have to employ seated on ground with both feet holding the ends third world tactics, but waaaay better than having no vice.

For bigger jobs, jamming one end of the board under the docks bull rail lets you lean into it.

Last edited:
I have found a battery powered grinder particularly helpful when having to cut chain, shackles, etc. Battery powered drill with ½" chuck versus a ⅜"chuck is essential to accommodate more than ½ drill bit.

Consider getting getting some Flex Tape and maybe some of the other products they they make. Plus the wax seal for the toilet. Supposedly can work wonders at stopping leaks on the hull and conforms to hoses too. Cant say I have every had the need to try it.

If you buy some battery powered tools, get the same brand so you can swap out batteries.

I keep considerable tools aboard... So many that I at times surprise myself, by what tool I may come across, when rummaging through to locate a specific tool.

I also carry aboard all sorts of tapes, calking, cleaning, lubrications and other helpful items. These are stored in specifically designated tool boxes and/or accoutrement bags. Two of the most useful multi sectional boxes... 1. Large assortment of stainless, bronze and brass fasteners. 2. Electrical wire, connectors, junctions and tools there of.

To make sure I don't get bored sipping juice drinks on sun deck - while at anchor: I have many different "boat" items I can install. Meaning... chocks, cleats, better batt chargers, hatch-latch improvements etc. I found/find really nice classic boat parts on line and get many that way. There's always something fun to do on a cool to use 1977 Tolly boat.

Of course... this post has just a little to do with "Full Time Cruising", such as the thread's title. Cause... we are long weekend and holiday cruisers. If we ever decide to go "full time cruising" the next boat would be in the 48 to 60 foot range - carrying even more tools, parts and parcels!

Happy Boat-Aboard Daze - Art :speed boat:

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Have you tried keeping your vise hosed down with some CRC spray of some kind to help fight the rust? Or keep it wrapped in a towel loaded up with any type of corrosion inhibitor? You could use a small action packer to make it easier to store and move without having the lube make a mess of everything it touches. Just a thought.

Thanks.

I am pretty lucky, on my current boat the vise sits in the Engine room and is pristine. Previously on a Cal 34 I kept a vise in a lazarette, not so pretty!
~A

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 23
More great stuff guys! Thanks again to all who have contributed. I'm still here paying attention. Work is eating up most of my time, so I'm just keeping my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut.

ther than a cordless drill what else do folks keep on board? Sawsall, grinder, sonic crafter type tools, hole saw? Thanks!

1. Electrical. Most quirky failures are a loose or broken wire. Carry a variety of Butt-end connectors, a wire stripper/crimper and voltmeter, spare wire, and especially fuses of the type you have. Did I tell you about the time my son kept flushing the Vacu-Flush until he burned out the 20 amp fuse? Now thats a boating emergency :lol:
2. Those multiple parts boxes from Harbor Freight (SS screws, bolts, fasteners, clips, hose clamps, butt-end connectors, shrink wrap). For < $200 you can get a huge variety of common parts that you can repair all sorts of broken connections.
3. Vise. Yes a metal working vise mounted on a board. Most people forget this, but you can hold parts to file, grind, bend them.
4. Headlamps. Yes silly but in the dark bilge essential. Harbor Freight has AA multiple battery packs that are affordable for these headlamps
5. Metric sockets/wrenches (variety pack). Most of the bolts/nuts are not American SAE guage
6. Channel lock pliers (life savers for various tasks)
7. Pry bars ... to get something loose thats frozen in place, or tighten your alternator belt
8. Did I mention 'Liquid Wrench' Can't tell you how many times a frozen nut/bolt came loose after this miracle ointment. Don't leave home without it.
9. Last but no least.... Bolt cutters. Never know when you have to cut your anchor chain, a stubborn lock, a nasty rusted bolt.

Everyone has their favorites based on what problems they have faced on their boat, so I thought I would share mine.

Plastic miter box (and I just use a hack saw)

Also, rather than a bolt down vice, I have an counter top Black and Decker workmate. Great for moving near work space, even on the dock if cutting/grinding steel (no rust flakes later) or lots of dusty stuff.

Attachments

• 2b26a9d6-d9fd-4059-8058-0eb04842bcf1.40bc9afe4d00896bd435fd6568faa443.jpg
    2b26a9d6-d9fd-4059-8058-0eb04842bcf1.40bc9afe4d00896bd435fd6568faa443.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 7c5b98dc0795ee92589c49fb84dae339.jpg
    7c5b98dc0795ee92589c49fb84dae339.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 16
And now... Frozen!

Since we decade-long boaters have provided you with enough recommendations for tools, electric parts, general boat parts, lubes, tapes and other recommended on-board equipment... may I suggest either a tow behind barge [only kidding] - or - a bigger boat [sort of kidding].

In reality: Choose carefully what you feel will really be needed and watch the added weight you add to boat for trim and other circumstances... such as where the heck to store it all things for easy accessibility.

Go Forth and Conquer... err Cruise!

Big differences between liveaboards with no dirt storage and part time cruisers who are never too far from home.

That might/should determine the proper vessel with storage for each and the spectrum in between.

Big differences between liveaboards with no dirt storage and part time cruisers who are never too far from home.

That might/should determine the proper vessel with storage for each and the spectrum in between.

Very true.

ark bilge essential.
9. Last but no least.... Bolt cutters. Never know when you have to cut your anchor chain, a stubborn lock, a nasty rusted bolt.

In some areas of the country, bolt cutters are considered to be a burglary tool and if the LLO cant find another reason and they dont like your attitude, they will arrest you for having bolt cutters.

The last two bolt cutters, the cutters were too soft to accomplish the cutting so I also carry a battery operated Dremel with a cutting tool.... does wonders on cutting chain too.

There are really only two tools you need for full time cruising...

1) Phone

2) Credit Card

LOL!!!!!!!

Better be a sat phone.....

Good list except my boat has all SAE fasteners, no metric. So, to the OP before investing in metric tools, I suggest you first determine what you actually might be using.
1. Electrical. Most quirky failures are a loose or broken wire. Carry a variety of Butt-end connectors, a wire stripper/crimper and voltmeter, spare wire, and especially fuses of the type you have. Did I tell you about the time my son kept flushing the Vacu-Flush until he burned out the 20 amp fuse? Now thats a boating emergency [emoji38]
2. Those multiple parts boxes from Harbor Freight (SS screws, bolts, fasteners, clips, hose clamps, butt-end connectors, shrink wrap). For < $200 you can get a huge variety of common parts that you can repair all sorts of broken connections.
3. Vise. Yes a metal working vise mounted on a board. Most people forget this, but you can hold parts to file, grind, bend them.
4. Headlamps. Yes silly but in the dark bilge essential. Harbor Freight has AA multiple battery packs that are affordable for these headlamps
5. Metric sockets/wrenches (variety pack). Most of the bolts/nuts are not American SAE guage
6. Channel lock pliers (life savers for various tasks)
7. Pry bars ... to get something loose thats frozen in place, or tighten your alternator belt
8. Did I mention 'Liquid Wrench' Can't tell you how many times a frozen nut/bolt came loose after this miracle ointment. Don't leave home without it.

Everyone has their favorites based on what problems they have faced on their boat, so I thought I would share mine.

In some areas of the country, bolt cutters are considered to be a burglary tool and if the LLO cant find another reason and they dont like your attitude, they will arrest you for having bolt cutters.

The last two bolt cutters, the cutters were too soft to accomplish the cutting so I also carry a battery operated Dremel with a cutting tool.... does wonders on cutting chain too.
If they arrest for bolt cutters, doubtless potentially a burglar`s tool,a battery driven Dremel cutter would surely cause Constabulary apoplexy. But be sure the battery charged up.

Almost always more to the story.......

https://cobblawfirm.com/florida-cri...-screwdriver-because-they-are-burglary-tools/

While Florida Burglary law1 punishes those who commit felony burglary offenses and trespass offenses with jail time and fines, Florida also criminalizes the possession of any tools used to commit a burglary or trespass. Under the law, if you possess any implement, tool, or machine with the intent to use the same to commit a burglary or trespass, or even allow the implement, tool, or machine to be used to commit a burglary or trespass, you can be found guilty of a third degree felony. Notice again the issue of intent, in the context of a charge for possession of burglary tools. For example, if you possess a hacksaw and the government says you intend to use it to cut through a lock on someone’s garage to steal something inside, you can be convicted of possession of burglary tools.

Other tools that can be considered burglary tools if possessed with the intent to commit a burglary or trespass include:

Bolt cutters
Hammers
Sledgehammers
Screwdrivers
Drills
Lock picks
Crowbars
Blow torches, or
Explosives

How many homeowners could be arrested?

Last edited:
Almost always more to the story.......

https://cobblawfirm.com/florida-cri...-screwdriver-because-they-are-burglary-tools/

While Florida Burglary law1 punishes those who commit felony burglary offenses and trespass offenses with jail time and fines, Florida also criminalizes the possession of any tools used to commit a burglary or trespass. Under the law, if you possess any implement, tool, or machine with the intent to use the same to commit a burglary or trespass, or even allow the implement, tool, or machine to be used to commit a burglary or trespass, you can be found guilty of a third degree felony. Notice again the issue of intent, in the context of a charge for possession of burglary tools. For example, if you possess a hacksaw and the government says you intend to use it to cut through a lock on someone’s garage to steal something inside, you can be convicted of possession of burglary tools.

Other tools that can be considered burglary tools if possessed with the intent to commit a burglary or trespass include:

Bolt cutters
Hammers
Sledgehammers
Screwdrivers
Drills
Lock picks
Crowbars
Blow torches, or
Explosives

How many homeowners could be arrested?

Ah ha, "intent"..... Difficult to prove "intent".
Of course if the cops find them in the trunk of your car along with black clothing and a black ski mask, that would give them a hint.

Last edited:
Ah ha, "intent"..... Difficult to prove "intent".
Of course if the cops find them in the trunk of your car along with black clothing and a black ski mask, that would give them a hint.

My "intent" [carried out 24/7] Is to always have my Leatherman tool in my right rear pocket next to my wallet. Tell tale sign is wear on that pocket. Guess if I were in vicinity of crime... I might have some splainen ta do! :facepalm: :dance:

I picked a up complete mechanics tools set in a Pelican Case that gets issued to Marines in the field. Water tight, complete and handy. All Armstrong tools, SAE and Metric. Installed a small bench vice and have 2-3 tubs of misc fittings, gaskets, spares, larger tools, etc. Complete set of Milwaukee M18 tools (Sawzall, impact driver, hammer drill, light, multi tool, etc). Most tools are stored below in the ER, but I have a duplicate set of basics topside in the galley for general use. I also keep spare battery cables, switches, wire, etc. A good Fluke 77 Multimeter is a must. Do not skimp on this. I also put together a complete electrical tool kit with extra breakers, fuses, 3M heat shrink terminals and connectors, etc. About 3 cases full of SS fittings, screws, bolts, etc.

Good list except my boat has all SAE fasteners, no metric. So, to the OP before investing in metric tools, I suggest you first determine what you actually might be using.

great point about customizing your kit based on need....
except that I'd add that having at least some metric stuff might be wise.... perhaps for working on something other than your boat...your dingy's outboard, a fan, some random kitchen appliance, a bicycle, etc....

I have 4 tool bags. The metric wrenches are in the storeroom. The AT is made in the US so I have not found a reason to keep metric wrenches onboard.
The Cummins engine, metric is not needed. The Northern Lights generator has a foreign made engine. I hope it is not metric.
The small tool box in the step compartment, tools I use frequently ..... a small tool bag containing tools I use everyday or every other day. SMILE Finally the very heavy tool bag is in the tank room. Contains hammers etc, I hate it when I have to lift that bag. LOL
Plus I the usual battery operated tool. All the same brand so I can swap batteries between tools.

Anyone have comments on the Roto Saw? "As seen on TV"

Last edited:
So i just bought a new raw water pump. Find out u need to either buy and mount a drive gear, or have an impact tool onboard to R&R said gear from old pump. At home, not a problem; offshore an issue. I found one source for the gear on ebay/amazon. In Belarus. [emoji43]

Was glad our raw water pump is belt driven and the Korean made spare I purchased had the hose rails and pulley already fitted, unlike the considerably more expensive Jabsco variant

20 minute changeover

Back
Top Bottom