Want British Columbia Insurance recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spinner

Guru
I am getting ready to move my boat and myself to British Columbia in June!

I will initially be residing in BC under a temporary work visa. With that understanding, will I need insurance from a Canadian insurance company, or do I keep my current, WA state based insurance? My boat will be docked in a boathouse at Bridges Marina, Richmond BC.

I would like to be prepared with a list of recommended BC-based brokers or insurance companies.

Thanks in advance!!

Sue, have you checked with your bank to see if your loan will allow you to locate their collateral outside the United States?

I will initially be residing in BC under a temporary work visa. With that understanding, will I need insurance from a Canadian insurance company, or do I keep my current, WA state based insurance? My boat will be docked in a boathouse at Bridges Marina, Richmond BC.

I would like to be prepared with a list of recommended BC-based brokers or insurance companies.

Thanks in advance!!

Are you crossing the border as an immigrant (to become a permanent resident)? Different rules for visitors v immigrants. As a permanent Res, if you are working here you need BC plates on your car. You may also need your boat registered or licensed here if you become a permanent Res.
As soon as you change the reg/license of the boat to BC, you will need BC insurance. When you get your car insured here, ask them if they also do boats. Some do, most just cars.
I know this one does both: https://www.google.com/search?q=ran...l4j69i57j0.14125j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 (not affiliated, satisfied customer).

I have, but the complication lies in how I am treated for purposes of boat registration etc. I am having a very difficult time getting definitive answers

Hi Keith, my plan is to become a permanent resident but I will not have that status initially....

Be forewarned that every Canadian can make love in a canoe without tipping it. This is an innate ability for those born here, everyone else must demonstrate adequate proficiency. A progressive training regimen highly recommended. Bonus points for achieving Master Kayak skill level.

Be forewarned that every Canadian can make love in a canoe without tipping it. This is an innate ability for those born here, everyone else must demonstrate adequate proficiency. A progressive training regimen highly recommended. Bonus points for achieving Master Kayak skill level.
Murray, wrong thread, perhaps you meant to post in the humour thread, maybe appropriate in the Tip issues thread, but in your case perhaps the What do you do in real life thread may apply. :lol:

Thanks in advance!!

I suggest you call your insurance broker. If you deal direct with an insurance company (ie not with a broker), then call them. It should be a pretty easy call for them. My sense is that your status in Canada is currently temporary and as such you are not (yet) importing your vessel, and as a consequence you are not (yet) subject to any Canadian rules concerning insurance/vessel importation/tax on vessels. Check your boat loan agreement before calling your bank. It may or may not have a requirement concerning location, but your banker is unlikely to know the answer so review your paperwork first.
Sounds exciting - good luck!

~A

I heartily recommend Dolphin Insurance. They are primarily in the marine market and know their stuff. We've been with them for 13 years and other than having to change underwriters their service has been amazing.

https://www.dolphininsurance.com/

Hi Sue,
Welcome to Canada! (well soon). It sounds exciting, but it is probably difficult to get the necessary correct information.
I suggest Johnston Meier Insurance (https://jmins.com/marine/) as worth checking out. We have always dealt with Calista Johnston for our marine needs and found her to be good to work with and very knowledgeable.
You do realize that if you do "import" your boat into Canada, you will be subject to Canadian taxes which are currently at 12%. However, there is no "ongoing" use tax like there is in Washington. I am not sure when (at what point), the need to pay taxes in your situation would apply, as you are coming in on a "work visa" to start???
Good friends of ours went a similar route to what you are describing. They are now permanent residents having started out on a work visa coming to Canada from Montana. They used a lawyer for a lot of their proceedings. They are not boat owners though. If you think it might help, I could ask them if they would mind talking to you about their experiences. If interested, PM me with contact info.
Best,

Tom

If your present insurer cannot get you fixed up, then I too recommend Dolphin. They will treat you as a potential future customer and you will do well by them.

Second choice would be Hub, if for no other reason than Bev Carlson the Account Executive-Marine has been around and through it all, since the San Juan, British American pig war.

Either of those companies can guide you through the process and point you to a customs broker if needed.

Dolphin
https://www.dolphininsurance.com/

Hub
https://hubmarine.ca/
Bev Carlson | Policy Executive Marine
HUB International Insurance Brokers
400-4350 Still Creek Drive, Burnaby BC V5C 0G5
Direct Line: 604.269.1882

There is some good advice here, but get help from professionals first, then social media.

I am another Nordic Tug owner, a Permanent Resident and also with Dolphin.

Be forewarned that insurance is expensive in BC: marine, motorcycle and auto.

If your intention is to get a PR card, you will have to document where you live and your bills are often used as proof. Keep this in mind if you have a car or boat insured in the US, but you live in Canada.

Sue, if you are keeping a toehold in the US until you are a permanent fixture in Canada, your insurer should have no problem with coverage.

12%tax

Hi Sue,
Welcome to Canada! (well soon). It sounds exciting, but it is probably difficult to get the necessary correct information.
I suggest Johnston Meier Insurance (https://jmins.com/marine/) as worth checking out. We have always dealt with Calista Johnston for our marine needs and found her to be good to work with and very knowledgeable.
You do realize that if you do "import" your boat into Canada, you will be subject to Canadian taxes which are currently at 12%. However, there is no "ongoing" use tax like there is in Washington. I am not sure when (at what point), the need to pay taxes in your situation would apply, as you are coming in on a "work visa" to start???
Good friends of ours went a similar route to what you are describing. They are now permanent residents having started out on a work visa coming to Canada from Montana. They used a lawyer for a lot of their proceedings. They are not boat owners though. If you think it might help, I could ask them if they would mind talking to you about their experiences. If interested, PM me with contact info.
Best,

Tom
Just a side note. When I moved to BC I didn’t have to pay any tax on vehicles that I had owned for 6 months. They were exempt but found out the hard way that you have to physically move your unit into BC within 6 months of moving. As I had left a three year old trailer in my previous province for over 6 months I had to pay 12 percent on the new selling price. Just for your info! Welcome to Canada

Navis Marine insurance in downtown Vancouver has been great for us, and my dad before me, for many years.

Back
Top Bottom