Howdy All from a Rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuckster

I'm a rookie (70 year old rookie) and have been reading this forum for awhile now. Cannot express how impressed I am with all the help. Anyway, wife and I are considering a boat for cruising around in. She gets sea sick sometimes (we have friends with a sailboat) so it will be only when the water is reasonably smooth and probably 80 % ICW. We are in Virginia and would probably call home a marina near Deltaville. Bucket list would be the loop but that's a ways off. My research so far suggests a Trawler ..... slow and steady and easy on fuel. Probably should mention the budget is not huge so GPH are important. Not looking to go fast anyway. Been looking at boat trader etc and there aren't a ton under $100K but we're not in a hurry. Would like to find the right boat by 1st of 2022. I think she would really like the aft Bedroom and it would need a separate shower. Also like the "sundeck" models. So there are choices but not a ton. Kinda would like to avoid a Volvo due to parts and smoke.
Anyway, I'll keep reading and learning and happy to be aboard (almost).

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I would not be too concerned with fuel usage as those costs are a VERY small part of the overall budget.

Also be aware the "sundeck" models might cause issues handling lines or boarding due to height above water at the after ends.
Selection also depends on how much below $100K one wants to spend. Your boat IS out there. Time to walk the docks. Any size considerations?

BIG CAVEAT!!!! Do NOT get emotionally involved until you get the "keys"!!!!!!

What he said. Fuel costs in a trawler will be the least of your concerns. They are a bit more significant in my current boat which burns three times as many gallons per hour as my twin engine trawler did (but goes twice as fast). However, my fuel costs are still insignificant to the overall budget. And, hey, welcome aboard.

Thanks for the Welcome

I'd like to keep it as short as possible. Seems like the nice aft bedrooms start around 34' ..... but willing to go bigger for the right boat. I was looking at entering the Trawler from the door on the side and not the stern ??? Wife likes the nice bedroom and "sundeck". We haven't seen everything out there I'm sure but cocktails in the evening are important and it looks like the Sundeck would solve that. I want her to be comfortable as possible in case we do take on the loop in a couple of years.!!! Have seen a couple of "motor yachts" that have the nice area in the back but I just like the Trawler for now. We will keep looking. And thanks for the welcome and quick replies.

Welcome aboard. Keep checking the For Sale area. I have a feeling something may pop up there soon...

What he said. Fuel costs in a trawler will be the least of your concerns. They are a bit more significant in my current boat which burns three times as many gallons per hour as my twin engine trawler did (but goes twice as fast). However, my fuel costs are still insignificant to the overall budget. And, hey, welcome aboard.

We are talking diesel right ?? I mean I figured a gas engine would bust the budget.

Tuck, welcome to TF!

Yeah, its important to keep the admiral happy. Be sure to understand how much freeboard you both can deal with getting on/off the boat from docks and dings.

Where do you think you are at on the DIY scale vs. writing boat buck checks?

And like the others suggested, don't worry about fuel. Just look at single engine boats. Maybe with thrusters if you don't want to mess with spring line skills (which you will need anyway!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom