Under gunwale speaker replacements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Time to freshen up the audio on the boat a bit.

The cockpit has speakers tucked under the gunwales. I haven't pulled them yet but from the pix I took they appear to be Poly-Planar units. One of them has gotten 'crunchy', likely due to the cone having fallen apart from age/exposure.

It's an outside area on a boat, I'm not pretending it'd benefit from audiophile-grade speakers. And I don't need a thumping bass going. Just background music now and then.

Anyone found a different solution? Otherwise I'll just order another set of these. At least they're still available, unlike the Clarion ones on my flybridge that have been discontinued (and nothing else out there will fit the same hole and mounting points).

Attachments

• 20180722_174038.jpg
    20180722_174038.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180722_173959.jpg
    20180722_173959.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 12
I hate to say it, but we do exactly the same: Bose soundlink. We're very happy customers. Bluetooth, more than loud enough, great sound, and portable.

I'm glad folks find satisfaction from a completely different solution. Good that it works for you.

But that isn't what I'm asking about, and not the solution I'm looking for.

Thought you were open to other options....
Different speaker installs into this location, yes. Not a change of audio delivery entirely.

As in, another under-gunwale or similar kind of box that might be already known to fit in the same/close dimensions as the Poly-Planar units. Wetsounds makes a box but it's a fair bit larger.

Not a completely different tangent involving bluetooth pairing and dealing with recharging yet another device. I have a Fusion head unit that feeds two other zones. Bluetooth pairing with it is.... interesting (in the chinese curse sort of way). Likewise adding a speaker or line-level to BT pairing dongle, while certainly "possible" is not ideal.

I have wires there already. I have a limited amount of room there already. I'm asking if anyone's seen/used anything else similar to the poly-planar setup that I might consider.

if the boxes are still good you can probably just get new speakers to mount inside...available many places, many brands, many sound quailty levels..... i'll bet bose even has one that would fit ;)

Back
Top Bottom