Chesapeake/Kent Narrows ALERT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar

Guru
Vessel Name
Lady Kay V
Vessel Make
1978 Hatteras 53MY
Got the following email from my marina on Kent Island

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 3.35.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 3.35.10 PM.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 245
WOW

60 ton vessel turned sideways.

As of today there is no resolution to this issue.

Thanks for the info. I passed it on to friends that are visiting Kent Narrows this weekend.

Has no one in the area done something simple like offer a case/keg of beer bounty for the first person that finds the mystery obstacle? Seems like it'd be an obvious way to put a quick end to this, offer a reward for finding it.

Seems like a few passes in a grid pattern using a dinghy and dragging a big 'fishing magnet' would turn up something pretty quickly. Then if it doesn't raise with the magnet use a claw anchor to drag it up.

Last edited:
Has no one in the area done something simple like offer a case/keg of beer bounty for the first person that finds the mystery obstacle? Seems like it'd be an obvious way to put a quick end to this, offer a reward for finding it.

Seems like a few passes in a grid pattern using a dinghy and dragging a big 'fishing magnet' would turn up something pretty quickly. Then if it doesn't raise with the magnet use a claw anchor to drag it up.

Agreed. If nothing else it would be fun to see what it is. Might make for a good story, like the car that was mid channel entering Rimouski in Canada. Now how did THAT get there? Is the water too murky to dive? Obviously the thing isn't very deep.

Agreed. If nothing else it would be fun to see what it is. Might make for a good story, like the car that was mid channel entering Rimouski in Canada. Now how did THAT get there? Is the water too murky to dive? Obviously the thing isn't very deep.

I love a good story. Though if mine was the boat that had both props wrecked I'd be less than entertained.

I remember taking the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke when I was a kid and wondering how the heck some rusted-out old early 50's era car got out on one of the islands along the way. We lived near a water reservoir and one winter they drained it for maintenance and discovered a VW Beetle in the muck.

Could have sworn there was an alert for that area back around 2014 or so. The only time I did the narrows snowbirding and there was something other than shoaling on the north approach.

Wonder if someone relocated it.... hard to imagine it took this long though with all the traffic there.

Ran a couple divers out to a current meter inspection a few years back not too far from there... they said working on the bottom was miserable for light and vis. This is in shallower water though and the stretch I would bet gets dredged occasionally.

The first thing that comes to mind is a container that fell off a ship in the Bay, with just enough buoyancy to keep it near the surface. Too bad the boat that hit it wasn't able to attach something to it to locate it later.

The first thing that comes to mind is a container that fell off a ship in the Bay, with just enough buoyancy to keep it near the surface. Too bad the boat that hit it wasn't able to attach something to it to locate it later.

Water depths may make that theory hard to accept.

Most bass fishing boats now have a version of side scan sonar. My 8 year old Hummingbird SI on my CC would find anything bigger than a crab trap in the first pass. Todays gear is much better and more boats with it. :popcorn:

And they did not write down the GPS coordinates? Maybe they were too shaken up.

I wouldn't have either in a tiny channel and near some marks. By the time I drifted away from the damage spot the visual reference should be good enough.

We are berthed in a Kent Narrows marina. Going north through this channel avoids the 3-hour alternative around Kent Island when going north on the Chesapeake. I will take the alternative route until such time as the Corp of Engineers resolve the problem. Our marina is keeping tabs on the issue.

The Corps of Engineers just completed a survey of the North channel out of Kent Narrows. No submerged objects were found but a shoal was discoverissued. Temporary aides to navigation will be placed to mark the shoal. A notice to mariners has been issed.

The Corps of Engineers just completed a survey of the North channel out of Kent Narrows. No submerged objects were found but a shoal was discover. Temporary aides to navigation will be placed to mark the shoal. A notice to mariners has been issued.

Nothing found? Given some of the pix I've seen of prop damage that seems difficult to believe.

Is there a chart somewhere that illustrates the conditions/shoaling as they exist now?

EDIT: https://pineynarrowsyachthaven.com/ which leads to some facebook pages, which have comments that finally show this marker (which I'm guessing is integrated in the Navionics apps)

Attachments

• 184825258_10100230532036760_8622588761925682448_n[1].jpg
    184825258_10100230532036760_8622588761925682448_n[1].jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom