Isaac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Moonstruck is in Ft. Pierce. As a precaution today I had her moved over to a boatyard and hauled. It is a little early, but the yards can fill up, so get there while there is space. Early is good. This morning it looked like Isaac was moving to the East. This evening it looks West. Round and Round he goes.

Timjet and Twisted are in the projected path along with Fred who is probably safe in Ortona. I think we have a couple of new members in the Ft. Myers area. Anyone that wants please chime in and let us know about your preparations. Also how you are doing. Good luck to all. Hunker down!

It's the "J" storm (TD-10) we are worried about here in NC.

Yes, Isaac looks to give the Keys and some of south Florida a run for their money.

I hope it trends west and goes up the Mississippi Valley for some drought relief...even thoght the heavy rains may not help the farmers, it may fill the ole Miss back up.

Looks like Joyce will stay pretty far offshore...but only day from now will tell for sure.

A tad to the west would be good:

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Isaac, you stay East, Okeechobee needs the water!
Steve W

Go West young storm, go West! The Northeast does not need you.

If it runs down the center of the projected path, which it rarely does, then Florida will get tons of rain, it'll landfall in LA (Lower Alabama) and ease up into the Mississippi delta which needs the rain as well. And if the worst it does is a Cat 1 or a low Cat 2 then the winds won't be all that bad for any extended period.

I'm feeling pretty safe. We are in Milan headed for Venice tomorrow. Sorry for the thread hijack (well kind of <smile>).

Tight lines (if that is your preference!)

Sea Level berthed at Ft. Myers Boat Club. A first class facility with floating docks, tide riders, extended pilings diagonal docking, stern to, and surrounded by mangroves, no trees or roof tiles that can be injurious to the boat. Tight, Double lines, remove canvas, batten hatches, hope for best. Be safe, everyone.

Sea Level berthed at Ft. Myers Boat Club. A first class facility with floating docks, tide riders, extended pilings diagonal docking, stern to, and surrounded by mangroves, no trees or roof tiles that can be injurious to the boat. Tight, Double lines, remove canvas, batten hatches, hope for best. Be safe, everyone.

Good luck, guys. John, I'm not familiar with the Ft. Myers Boat Club. Is it new, and where is it? Too bad your first post had to be about a hurricane. Welcome. Hope you stay with us. Love SW Florida.

Refigio, where you headed in Venice? Oh, that Venice!

Last edited:
isaac

Moonstruck, thanks. FM boat club is located 2 miles (up river) north of MM 1 of ICW at Sanibel bridge, considered to be So. FM. Facility is, I think, 4 yrs. since total rehab. While a full service yard IS in place, ambitious plans for restaurant(s) pool, clubhouse, and full land support has been dampened by our economy. This will be the best kept secret on the west coast when development is complete. Numerous Sabres, Hinckleys, GB's, Alden, and Little Harbors seek service at yard. Can be an entertaining walk on dock at times.

John, is that near Grandma Dot's?

MOONSTRUCK, Gandmas is perhaps 1.5M from MM1 to the south. Grandmas sits at the south end of Sanibel Isl. You MUST know/of M. Ireland. Infamous in our waters. Before moving to FM from Clearwater,
Grandmas marina was our stopping off spot on way to Keys.

MOONSTRUCK, Gandmas is perhaps 1.5M from MM1 to the south. Grandmas sits at the south end of Sanibel Isl. You MUST know/of M. Ireland. Infamous in our waters. Before moving to FM from Clearwater,
Grandmas marina was our stopping off spot on way to Keys.

OK, I think I got it now. You are on the OWW section a little up the Caloosahatchee. Right? Is it near the St. Charles Yacht Club?

MOONSTRUCK, your so close. St. Charles, then Gulf Harbour, then also to starboard privately marked channel to Palmetto Point, Town and River communities as well as boat club further down channel to south. All before Cape Coral Parkway bridge. The CC side of river is evolving nicely as well with Cape Harbor and
Tarpon Point becoming particularly friendly to transit boaters with wonderful amenities.

Pensacola Here. My Marina is starting the Hurricane Haulout for Isaac. My question is what should I do to ensure the best chance for my boat to survive a punch in the nose? Current plan is to haulout and put 6 stands on my 40 footer. I will remove all glass and bimini. Will keep the bilge pump on and all other DC power secured. Any other ideas? should be interesting.. not my first rodeo.. Hurricane Ivan 2004.

Good luck and stay safe down there in the himacane path.

Blue Heron--- Needless to say, make sure the yard chains all the stand pairs together so they can't walk out from under the boat.

Blue Heron--- Needless to say, make sure the yard chains all the stand pairs together so they can't walk out from under the boat.
Good point!

Not to belabor this, and I suspect that competent yards in hurricane territory all do this as a matter of course, but if a yard tells you that chaining the stand pairs isn't necessary, they're wrong. A member of the Grand Banks Owners forum had his wood GB hauled and blocked for the winter in the Great Lakes area. The stands were not chained. A winter storm got the boat to moving a bit on the stands. The stands supporting the forward half of the boat began to "walk" and when they got far enough out the boat's motion became such that it fell over onto its side. There was so much damage the insurance company declared it a total loss.

I'd ask for (and pay for) eight if you can. Six seems too few for a 40'.

Since the hurricane cone includes Mississippi we are watching this with interest. Update, the Biloxi marina seems to not plan on cutting lines and pushing us away from the dock I am told. :) We were planning to head back to Madisonville' but new plan has been to red label/ Saturday 5 new docklines in and be ready to storm prep Sunday.

I'd ask for (and pay for) eight if you can. Six seems too few for a 40'.

6 is enough normally for any boat that sits primarily on its keel....where I am in Jersey they survive 75 kot plus Nor'easter winds with 3 sets. The keel is where yards often scrimp...I've heard you should have one every 10 feet or so....especially if not on good concrete.

Looks like we're catching a little bit of a break with Isaac's path. Sunday morn I'll be "spiderwebbing" TIME well wasted in the canal behind the house. My major concern is with the Island Gypsy that is for sale on this site's classifieds is 3 houses in from me. I don't think the owner's are anywhere near and I don't know if they are going to have anyone taking care of it as far as storm prep.
Thankfully I've just finished rebedding all the portholes.

My boat has all the gear hauled below and I am up at 0930 for haulout after pumpout (in case the sh&@ hits the fan, better to be with less sh&@!). I will remove all canvas. Looks like 6 stands is all I get. LOTS of boats on this haul out and the Marina ordered ALL boats to vacate so they can pull the floating docks. This Marina learned its lesson in Ivan. Will photo post. Good luck Floridians..

We just received this in an email from our insurance company. It does seem like good idea.

Hurricane Preparation:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]If a Hurricane Watch or Warning is issued for your area by the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), we will pay [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]50% of the cost up to a maximum of $1,000 for having your boat [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]moved by a professional, or for a professional haulout, or for the [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]professional execution of a hurricane plan. In addition to professional [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]moving or a professional haulout, covered expenses include, but [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]are not limited to, haulout, blocking, lashing to in-ground anchors, [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]powerwashing and relaunch.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Nice. I opted for a much lower premium, but no extra stuff like that. TBH, even in NC, the math didn't work out for the higher premiums versus how often, on average, we would need to haul for a storm(s). So far, we have hauled once in 3 years for Irene. Even if I have to haul 3 times this year, I am still on the favorable side of the cash flow.

well we just put up the shutters (what a pita,I'm getting rollups or accordians when I win the lottery). Boat is spun around to face the wind, patio crap brought in or tossed in pool, yard crap, trash cans brought in or secured. Tomorrow morn we'll do the final tieing of the boat, put the dinghy in the garage, and await the fury.

Back
Top Bottom