View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #321
twistedtree
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Nordhavn loyalists and customers like Twisted Tree are a special breed and they and the company have a unique relationship. Commissioning is lengthy and the better part of a year consumed getting everything just right. However, they end up with a boat they love and trust. It's an amazing relationship and I don't know another builder with one like it. If you're willing to put in the time and the effort, then ultimately you'll be happy.

I really admire those who do it while also knowing I could never personally tolerate it. I also applaud Twisted Tree for his open and honest discussion. It's actually very good for Nordhavn too as the worst thing that can happen is a new buyer with unrealistic expectations.

It's certainly been my experience that getting a new, completely handmade, and complex "expedition" boat "finished" takes a year, give or take. How much is "commissioning", vs warranty work, vs just getting the boat set up and outfitted the way you want it are somewhat arbitrary lines. Perhaps more meaningful is what the builder is responsible for and what the owner is responsible for. But it all has to get done.

But one thing that's been interesting to me is that in my moments of frustration when I complain to one or more people who work in the marine industry, they uniformly say it's typical, and that Nordhavn is actually one of, if not the best of the builders. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. There certainly is. But it's also good to keep it all in perspective.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have built new boats in say the 60-75' range, how long it took them to get the boat dialed in. The test for me is the marine supply/hardware store run. When you come into a new port, how quickly go you run to the marine supply or hardware store. When that stops being the first thing you do at every port, the boat is ready.

Smaller boats I think are different because they tend to be built in larger numbers and with less variation from boat to boat. Plus the systems are fewer and less complex. And when you get into much bigger boats, I expect there is much more professional project and production management. But I have heard plenty of horror stories in that range too.