Building a Nordhavn - again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I haven't tried the boarding ladder in/out of the tender, but we did test it from dockside and nobody went swimming. So it passed the first test.

We did notice the crane up, makes sense now. Your testing process cracks me up, "do you get wet or stay dry using the ladder". Good hear all the pieces are coming together.

TT we had our last boat built for us. Thought we knew exactly what we wanted from past experience. Initial commissioning was in Norfolk VA. First passage was to BVI. There started to modify things we could have done better. Took us a full year to get stuff just right and Bristol fashion. Keep your chin up. Commissioning is just your first step. I thought 2-3 months of coastal cruising would be sufficient to work out the kinks before doing the “big stuff” I was wrong.

Not his first rodeo. This is Peter’s second new Nordhavn. He had a new 60 previous. He is also something of an inventor genius engineer but a bit modest about it.

If it’s any consolation, I think his typing skills leave a lot to be desired. :)

TT we had our last boat built for us. Thought we knew exactly what we wanted from past experience. Initial commissioning was in Norfolk VA. First passage was to BVI. There started to modify things we could have done better. Took us a full year to get stuff just right and Bristol fashion. Keep your chin up. Commissioning is just your first step. I thought 2-3 months of coastal cruising would be sufficient to work out the kinks before doing the “big stuff” I was wrong.

That's been my experience too, and I think it applies to new and used boats alike. I'm expecting a year of use (after commissioning) before things are really solid. We have made lots of progress and fixed lots of things, but I still don't have to look too hard to find something new.

Commissioning is down to a short list. And I got gassed out of the boat today by fumes from the wood finish, so progress there too.

What are they using to finish the wood? We had our last boat built in mainland China. Wanted to do some touch up on the hand rail at the companion way. When it was bumpy people would lean against it as they descended so there was some wear. Had trouble matching it. Looked like original was sprayed or maybe even dipped before assembly. Know I’m a dust farter but still prefer old school 8-10 coats of Epiphanes. Think if first few coats are thinned it penetrates and never lifts. Wear can be touched up without doing an entire panel or length of wood and not be apparent.

What are they using to finish the wood? We had our last boat built in mainland China. Wanted to do some touch up on the hand rail at the companion way. When it was bumpy people would lean against it as they descended so there was some wear. Had trouble matching it. Looked like original was sprayed or maybe even dipped before assembly. Know I’m a dust farter but still prefer old school 8-10 coats of Epiphanes. Think if first few coats are thinned it penetrates and never lifts. Wear can be touched up without doing an entire panel or length of wood and not be apparent.

We are using the original finish material, built up the same as they do at the yard. The stuff comes from Japan.

You have a amazing vessel and great attitude towards its birth and delivery. Truly inspiring at all levels. Thanks for sharing.

You have a amazing vessel and great attitude towards its birth and delivery. Truly inspiring at all levels. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, but I have to say it can be pretty trying some days, and I have had a tantrum or two along the way.

We are now on attempt #4 to order the correct engine room vent damper. One of the originals was installed with the louvers oriented vertically, and it turns out you can't do that unless the damper has been ordered with thrust waters to provide a bearing surface in that orientation. So a second one was ordered with thrust waters. It shows up, mostly fits the same way, but not exactly, then we notice that it's galvanized, not stainless. Crap, time for try #3. Damper #3 arrives today, it stainless, has thrust washers, but has a completely different mounting surround and flange. So now we are working on try #4.

Then there are the Lewmar overhead hatches. Four of them to be exact. All four had been leaking when the boat arrived back in December. They were adjusted, tightened, etc, but all four kept leaking. I then learn that this is par for the course, with people saying things like "every Lewmar hatch that has come in over the past 3 years has leaked." Spread across a couple of buildings, there is a bone pile of probably 50 or more Lewmar hatches that have been replaced.

Various people have developed repair techniques using different sealants, different seal materials, and different prep techniques. Sometimes they work, but not every time, hence the bone pile. After three or four attempts to fix them, I have one of my tantrums and ask that the hatches be replace completely.

After a bunch of silly screw ups, new hatches finally arrive and are installed. Great, should solve the problem, right? Nope. Within a week all four are leaking. So now I have a bigger tantrum. I proclaim that the only good Lewmar hatch is a Manship hatch, and ask that they all be changed to Manship hatches.

Hell starts getting raise with Lewmar, and I get forwarded a note about how they had a problem and fixed it and all is well now and we should just replace the hatches again. I say I'll accept that only if I hear a VERY compelling root cause analysis of the problem, and corrective action that 100% explains everything I've seen. Otherwise it's just guessing and I'm done being part of the experiment. After all, nobody from Lewmar has even examined the bone pile of 50+ hatches, let along done a failure analysis. Not one a single hatch.

So I get on the phone with the head of Lewmar in the US. He explains a glass bonding process issue they had and how they fixed it. When was this found? Early 2020. When was the process change implemented? ~Q2 2020. OK, but then why are my four new hatches leaking if the problem has been fixed? We had some old stock in the US. But these hatches came direct from the UK where they are built because there was no stock available in the US? I'll have to check into that.

That afternoon we ordered the Manship hatches, they arrived within about a week, and are all installed with no leaks.

You just can't make this stuff up.

My god, how hard is it to make a hatch that doesn't leak? Sometimes I wonder how these companies say in business. We deal with some extremely complex problems at work, I wish all I had to do was figure out how to stop a hatch from leaking water.

Anyway, I digress. I admire your patience with the commissioning, I would have gone full rage by now.

OMG. You pay umpteen million for a new vessel and 3 lots of hatches leak..! Unbelievabubble.

With my old boat, if the hatch had ever leaked, (just an old square timber job), but it never did. But if it had, I'd have just done what worked on our yacht. Selley's 'No more Leaks', then Gladwrap all round over it = home made rubber gasket = no more leaks.

But if it was a new multimillion dollar boat, I'd have been having temper tantrums for sure. Commiserations Twisted. I just hope things run more smoothly from here on out. :facepalm:

Last edited:
When we built our last boat the overhead Lewmar hatches were flawless but the large fixed port lights in the saloon leaked. This wasn’t immediately apparent and only appreciated when water stains showed up on the trim teak. From the outbound owners site found out this was a very common situation. Further found out what sealant to use, how the fix needed to be done and which yards had done the fix correctly. The complete fix required complete removal of the lights to allow complete removal of initial bedding/sealant used. This required removal of trim outside and of course repair of and cosmetic damage inside. Then rebedding and lastly reinstalling or replacing trim. Other owners had experienced the glass cracking immediately after it was put in and things setting up. So had to restart the fix from scratch Others experienced trim (both inside and out) being damaged upon removal requiring delay as new pieces were shipped from mainland China. In short many boat bucks spend and prolonged loss of use of the vessel. All because the formulation of the sealant was changed by the manufacturer. The builder had used that sealant for years and years without any issues. Going after the sealant manufacturer wasn’t practical so owners just said “it’s a boat” did the fix on 4 of these things and moved on. Many did the fix prophylactically as having a leak in the middle of the ocean on passage ain’t fun. The builder has changed the process to my understanding so only a block of years boats seem to been effected.
At this point I favor not doing large fixed windows on the house and especially none of these in the hull. I know with today’s super duper adhesives and sealants they can be as strong as the hull or house. But you as a owner or even as a surveyor have no way to assess their integrity. And repair is very involved and expensive.

Last edited:
Note to self: don't buy Lewmar hatches. The Bomar hatch in my foredeck is 35 years and old and doesn't leak. Although I should probably replace the seal at some point.

I don't get how they can just pump out hatch after hatch that keeps leaking. And worse, people keep buying them (mostly because boat builders seem to love cheap stuff from Lewmar, hence all the Deltas on the bows of new boats).

Another vote here for Manship. Our boat is all manship for hatches, ports, and windows.

Been extremely happy with their performance in various conditions!

Nordhavn loyalists and customers like Twisted Tree are a special breed and they and the company have a unique relationship. Commissioning is lengthy and the better part of a year consumed getting everything just right. However, they end up with a boat they love and trust. It's an amazing relationship and I don't know another builder with one like it. If you're willing to put in the time and the effort, then ultimately you'll be happy.

I really admire those who do it while also knowing I could never personally tolerate it. I also applaud Twisted Tree for his open and honest discussion. It's actually very good for Nordhavn too as the worst thing that can happen is a new buyer with unrealistic expectations.

I've given up on anything that says Lewmar on it. Hatches, sailboat hardware, winches, anchors. Last thing I had was the Lewmar Bruce copy anchor that came on the boat. Even though unused, it was so poorly made I couldn't stand to look at it and gave it to the first person on the dock that would carry it out of sight.

Nordhavn loyalists and customers like Twisted Tree are a special breed and they and the company have a unique relationship. Commissioning is lengthy and the better part of a year consumed getting everything just right. However, they end up with a boat they love and trust. It's an amazing relationship and I don't know another builder with one like it. If you're willing to put in the time and the effort, then ultimately you'll be happy.

I really admire those who do it while also knowing I could never personally tolerate it. I also applaud Twisted Tree for his open and honest discussion. It's actually very good for Nordhavn too as the worst thing that can happen is a new buyer with unrealistic expectations.

It's certainly been my experience that getting a new, completely handmade, and complex "expedition" boat "finished" takes a year, give or take. How much is "commissioning", vs warranty work, vs just getting the boat set up and outfitted the way you want it are somewhat arbitrary lines. Perhaps more meaningful is what the builder is responsible for and what the owner is responsible for. But it all has to get done.

But one thing that's been interesting to me is that in my moments of frustration when I complain to one or more people who work in the marine industry, they uniformly say it's typical, and that Nordhavn is actually one of, if not the best of the builders. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. There certainly is. But it's also good to keep it all in perspective.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have built new boats in say the 60-75' range, how long it took them to get the boat dialed in. The test for me is the marine supply/hardware store run. When you come into a new port, how quickly go you run to the marine supply or hardware store. When that stops being the first thing you do at every port, the boat is ready.

Smaller boats I think are different because they tend to be built in larger numbers and with less variation from boat to boat. Plus the systems are fewer and less complex. And when you get into much bigger boats, I expect there is much more professional project and production management. But I have heard plenty of horror stories in that range too.

It's certainly been my experience that getting a new, completely handmade, and complex "expedition" boat "finished" takes a year, give or take. How much is "commissioning", vs warranty work, vs just getting the boat set up and outfitted the way you want it are somewhat arbitrary lines. Perhaps more meaningful is what the builder is responsible for and what the owner is responsible for. But it all has to get done.

But one thing that's been interesting to me is that in my moments of frustration when I complain to one or more people who work in the marine industry, they uniformly say it's typical, and that Nordhavn is actually one of, if not the best of the builders. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. There certainly is. But it's also good to keep it all in perspective.

It would be interesting to hear from others who have built new boats in say the 60-75' range, how long it took them to get the boat dialed in. The test for me is the marine supply/hardware store run. When you come into a new port, how quickly go you run to the marine supply or hardware store. When that stops being the first thing you do at every port, the boat is ready.

Smaller boats I think are different because they tend to be built in larger numbers and with less variation from boat to boat. Plus the systems are fewer and less complex. And when you get into much bigger boats, I expect there is much more professional project and production management. But I have heard plenty of horror stories in that range too.

We have built 4 boats, if you count the one just sea trialed and which we'll have a shakedown cruise in May. One has been in the range you say, three larger. However, they've all involved less customization than yours. We've also purchased one new boat in the 60-75' range. They've all been fully ready when we made final acceptance of delivery with all equipment installed and no issues from survey or punch list.

I would say two builds were from a builder who always delivers turnkey boats on time and on budget. It's the way they do business. However, they are a semi-custom, not fully custom builder. Equipment doesn't vary, just interiors.

One other was semi custom, more production than custom, but based on what others have experienced from them, we were lucky. They use a dealer network that we bypassed. They had a dealer in South Florida that was a nightmare and one for Miami and Central America that has been very slow in warranty. Now another in Fort Lauderdale that I think will be good based on the yard they now own. Then the one just built in Italy has frankly surprised us as it had the most customization, although still most equipment basic.

As to Nordhavn being one of the best. I'd say their commissioning process and equipment to be installed by the owner is very much on the high side. They deliver boats with much to be completed. I would put their number of warranty items and the length of time to complete them in the middle. They are known for taking time but eventually doing it all. There are half who do warranty quicker but then half who never do it all and you end up getting it done outside of warranty if you want it done. There are manufacturers who I would never trust on anything and they never get boats right. There are others who build a decent boat but are horrific on warranty due to the dealer network they use. As to Nordhavn's more direct competition, those like Selene, KK, Cheoy Lee, Outer Reef, Horizon, Hampton, Offshore, the competitors listed generally complete the work in less time. Now part is that the others don't typically engage in the ongoing modifications and changes during the build of the boat so some of the Nordhavn issues are self inflicted by buyers in cooperation with the builder. Nordhavn is known for not saying "no" and that is to a fault.

On the other hand I can name many builders I would tell people to never consider and I wouldn't say that about Nordhavn. I'd just say with them to know what you're getting into. Yours is a somewhat typical experience, other than the cargo issue in that it's taking a long time and many of the issues are entirely unacceptable (like the Lewmar where hatches are piled up and yet they continue to use them and they should never reach the customer leaking anyway) but then you do have confidence they will ultimately fix everything. There are builders such as Marlow and Azimut who build in this range and Marlow typically won't ever get it fixed while Azimut will in Europe but not in the US.

You mention what the builder is responsible and what the owner is. Nordhavn leaves far more than most builders in their size range for the owners to be responsible for. Their owners seem to like this though and you're right that it lengthens time and confuses the issue. They install far fewer items at the factory than most. Their buyers love selecting every item themselves and arranging installation. The ability of the buyers to select equipment and vendors, even of what the factory installs, adds to the problems. It's a lot easier to be trouble free and to provide quick warranty service if you only use one brand or, at most, two. For instance, no one has an issue with Nordhavn's hull or structure as they are pretty much standard and production. Standardization greatly reduces risks and issues and Nordhavn does less of it than even many major yacht builders.

The way Nordhavn operates is not inherently good or bad, it's what they do and their buyers are use to. It's just one way of doing things.

If grading them as a builder, I'd give them a very high grade. They build a solid boat. They're honest and fulfill warrantees. If grading their methods and process I'd give them an A+ for flexibility and a D- for delivery and those go together. They don't deliver a finished boat and they take too long to do warranty work. Again, the Lewmar hatches are an example of horrific performance on their part. They're sometimes sloppy as in the cargo.

I'd love to hear from those who have had Selene, Outer Reef, larger KK's, Horizon, Hampton, and Cheoy Lee built and their comparative experiences. Perhaps yours and my post should be taken to a new thread for that. If you so request, I'm sure the mods will do so. Label it "Comparative New Build Experiences" perhaps.

Not quite in the same class as yours, but I had a custom designed, custom built, somewhat unique and complicated 45' sailboat built. I was deeply involved in every step. It took at least a year to debug, prove, and tweak every system. 11 years now and I am still working on some little details. But there are two ends to the stick as well, the boat and the owner. Some owners accept what they are given, patching only when truly needed. Others want everything exactly how they want it - I'm one of those and I suspect you are too.

My experience is similar to DDW. Built a Outbound 46. Started in 2012. Literally hundreds of emails back and forth with the builder before commencing. Took a full year to spec the boat which was a massive learning experience.
There’s a few structural bulkheads that can’t be moved but beyond that the builder will pretty much let you do what you want. There’s a strong owner’s community so you have available what’s worked and what hasn’t. It’s never anyone’s first boat as they’re used for transoceanic cruising. So you pay attention to the advice of earlier owners. The builder in the past (builder has changed) has paid attention to his prior buyers so good changes are offered stock. We did multiple new things. Hard dodger, hard Bimini and belt & suspenders self self sufficiency to the degree possible. Even so it took a year before I felt comfortable that everything was sorted out to a degree to start doing passages. After that just maintenance and usual glitches. Felt real good that on several occasions when I had a concern or needed advice I could just call the builders cellphone on the satphone even at odd hours when in the middle of the ocean. He would answer and sort me out. Totally extraordinary support. In talking with those involved with some brands (Bill at DD and the Nordhavn seniors among others) hear the same level of after market support is offered. Think that level of aftermarket support, even to subsequent owners, is a huge factor in the owner’s experience. Think that should be a significant part of who you choose to build your boat regardless of type or size.

Last edited:
I’m not sure grades given based upon second-hand information and hearsay are all that valuable. You would be hard pressed to find a customer based more loyal to a brand and company than Nordhavn owners. That loyalty is earned through product quality and customer support. N owners would not consistently return as repeat buyers unless they were happy with the process and support. It usually isn’t a first boat so its not due to lack of knowledge of the alternatives.

When you hear of longer commissioning and de-bugging times being discussed, that is often driven by the customer more than the company. N owners as a group tend to be very engaged with the process and product. More engagement translates to specific requests and requirements, and also often the desire to understand, personalize and service all systems.

I have owned multiple good-quality boats and never felt like any of them were sorted out for at least a year. That first period includes learning to operate and service all systems, and making adjustments and additions along the way to suit my preferences and use case. Many other buyers would take the same boat and proclaim it “ready” after the first weeks.

Boating is a participation sport for most of us. N buyers in particular tend to be very involved and that takes some time. Buyers that want to be handed a turn-key shiny yacht will go somewhere else and hopefully go away happy with what the builder gives them. Pay someone else to maintain your boat and the quality and serviceability may be of less importance. For a hands-on, involved owner/user that wants a boat that will go far and stand up to hard use, I don’t know of a brand or builder that executes as well as Nordhavn.

Last edited:
I’m not sure grades given based upon second-hand information and hearsay are all that valuable. You would be hard pressed to find a customer based more loyal to a brand and company than Nordhavn owners. That loyalty is earned through product quality and customer support. N owners would not consistently return as repeat buyers unless they were happy with the process and support. It usually isn’t a first boat so its not due to lack of knowledge of the alternatives.

When you hear of longer commissioning and de-bugging times being discussed, that is often driven by the customer more than the company. N owners as a group tend to be very engaged with the process and product. More engagement translates to specific requests and requirements, and also often the desire to understand, personalize and service all systems.

I have owned multiple good-quality boats and never felt like any of them were sorted out for at least a year. That first period includes learning to operate and service all systems, and making adjustments and additions along the way to suit my preferences and use case. Many other buyers would take the same boat and proclaim it “ready” after the first weeks.

Boating is a participation sport for most of us. N buyers in particular tend to be very involved and that takes some time. Buyers that want to be handed a turn-key shiny yacht go somewhere else and hopefully go away happy with what the builder gives them. Pay someone else to maintain your boat and the quality and serviceability may be of less importance. For a hands-on, involved owner/user that wants a boat that will go far and stand up to hard use, I don’t know of a brand or builder that executes as well as Nordhavn.

The only negative grade given was on delivery as factually Nordhavn does not consistently deliver on time. Even their most fervent supporters would agree with that. Now, I also said that went hand in hand with their flexibility and the way they work with owners.

I've consistently pointed to the relationship between Nordhavn and their owners and buyers. It's one that most builders can only envy.

I think comments talking about others walking away with shiny yachts that the builder gives them and being satisfied is misleading. We've built boats where we exercised hundreds of choices but they were all done in advance or those that could wait done on a written schedule and not allowed to delay the build. Equipment decisions all made before the build starts.

Also, don't imply that those of us building with others are not hands on. We are, both our own hands and those we engage. In fact, in our builds we've had far more presence on the builder's yard than most Nordhavn builders have as it's just our way. If I was building a Nordhavn, I'd have a representative there regularly during the build.

I'd love to hear from some who have built with their direct competitors.

I admire what Nordhavn has been able to do. I admire them with knowledge of their strengths and their weaknesses. I would never advise one against going with Nordhavn, but I'd always advise one to understand what to expect with them. Best for the buyer and for Nordhavn for the buyer to have a clear understanding. Some is simple, some more complex.

Nordhavn and their owners have a relationship few can match. Perfect generally for each other. That's to be recognized. While different than others, it's not the only builder owner relationship that is strong though.

B&B, you make some fair points.

I should have worded the reference to alternative brands and buyers in a more positive tone. My point was that not every buyer wants to be intimately involved in selections, build and commissioning, and may be happier with a turn-key boat from another builder. My comment wasn't directed at any individual and it sounds like you and Mrs B aren't in that category.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming and TT's new boat. That new thread you suggested is probably the right place to get into delivery experiences with other builders and buyers.

While not qualifying for the 60'- 75' new boat category I can share our experiences with two (new) smaller Nordhavn's which went through commissioning in Dana Point, CA (PAE Headquarters). Both boats completed their commissioning process on or close to their promised completion dates. In fact we found ourselves competing with multiple boats (including Ken Williams - N68) during one commissioning and still received the boat within a week or two of the promise date. Overall no complaints with the schedule or quality of work and the crews were all great to work with. The real test and question is if we would do it again assuming the hit the lottery and the answer is "yes".

John T. - Dreaming of Nordhavn #4....

While not qualifying for the 60'- 75' new boat category I can share our experiences with two (new) smaller Nordhavn's which went through commissioning in Dana Point, CA (PAE Headquarters). Both boats completed their commissioning process on or close to their promised completion dates. In fact we found ourselves competing with multiple boats (including Ken Williams - N68) during one commissioning and still received the boat within a week or two of the promise date. Overall no complaints with the schedule or quality of work and the crews were all great to work with. The real test and question is if we would do it again assuming the hit the lottery and the answer is "yes".

John T. - Dreaming of Nordhavn #4....

Curious. From the time your boat was unloaded in the US, how long before commissioning was complete?

Also, how long before all your punch list and warranty items were completed?

When I was delivering in the late 90s/early 00s, I delivered a couple dozen new Nordhsvns. I was a main presenter st TrawlerFest so met folks there who eventually purchased a Nordhavn.

Majority of my clients were first time boat owners. Late 50s or early 60s, kids were gone, their business was secure, and it was time to do something different.

Being a Willard owner and moderator of the online Willard group, I also stayed in close contact with Willard Marine who were trying to reinvigorate their trawler business.

PAE/Nordhavn approached their business as a brand vs Willard who boat builders. I was with Dan Streech (president PAE) one day when they drop-shipped a pump of some sort to an owner who was cruising in some far off location. I asked why they would warranty a wear-item like that. He said "we consider it a marketing expense." On the other hand, Willard's response would have been "we don't know what has been done to the boat since it left our control." Fair enough, but the end of the story with winners and losers is clear. PAE were unique as they actually used their boats and upgraded the equipment lists based in experience. For those of us who are recovering sailors, i liken Nordhavn to Amel (well, a bit of a atretch, but you get the jdea)

The one place where Nordhavn did not ace the exam was in setting customer expectations about the build process, though in fairness to them, I'm not sure that's possible. Because many of their owners were either new to large boats or this was a first time build experience, they came to the table with expectations of a more precise timetable. Their customers were trying to balance retirement or long term leave, house sales, grandkids, and all sorts of major life events. The vagueness of building a small, self sufficient city was not part if their consciousness. PAE sought out customers with very high expectations and should have been a bit more prepared. Sounds like they've gotten a better handle on that part of their business in the intervening 20 years.

I enjoyed working for Nordhavn customers and by proxy, PAE. The principals at PAE were respectful to me and appreciated the work I did for theit customers. It was a tough decision to exit the delivery business.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom