Old 04-24-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
FOR SALE Willard 40 - Cruise Ready. San Carlos MX (Baja) $165k

I am listing this at the request and on the behalf of the owner of Lilliana. She is a 1977 model W40 Sedan/Flybridge. Owner is asking $165k

Lilliana has been owned by a very knowledgeable sailor and active part-time cruiser since 2007 with many upgrades and is reportedly in ready-to-cruise condition with a 2500 nm range.
  • Paravane Stabilizers
  • Flopper-stopper at-anchor stabilizers
  • Get-Home electric motor belt-attached to shaft
  • Pisces 27 generator
  • 600 gallons diesel plus 55 gallon day tank
  • Fuel polishing system
  • Perkins 6.354 (135hp) new in 2000
  • Roll-chock stabilizer fins
  • SSB/Ham Radio plus Pactor/SailMail system
  • Watermaker
  • 250 gals water in Stainless Steel tank

Construction of Hull #21 began at the Willard Marine facilities in Costa Mesa, CA in May 1977 and she was launched in January 1978. The flying bridge deck is 1" thick balsa core; and the fore-cabin roof is 1/2" to 1/4" balsa core. The cabin sides are 3/4" plywood core (glass-over). Willard still produces boats at the same California yard as Lilliana was launched, though they ceased recreational boat production in 2001.

I will try to get more interior pictures and more details. Owner is cruising in the Sea of Cortez as I write and not always easily available. He plans to list it with a broker in San Carlos MX (5-hr drive south of Arizona/Mexico border).

While I have not been aboard Lilliana, I have been aboard the owner's other boats: a Willard 30 he cruises in SE Alaska; and a 35-foot vintage sailboat he sails on SF Bay. Both were in immaculate condition. A W40 cruises at 7-1/4 kts and burns about 1.5 gph.

An interesting design feather of the W40's is the center/thwart fuel tank vs saddle tanks on either side of the engine. A center-tank orientation reduces effect on trim as the tank is drained (a big problem on some boats, especially the early N46s). And it makes for a cavernous engine room.

W40s do NOT have stand-up engine rooms which while nice, would greatly increase the height (and A/B ratio) of the boat. W40's are designed with 7000 lbs of concrete/steel-punching ballast against a 30,000 lb displacement (light load) for almost 25% ballast/displacement ratio - more than double Kadey Krogan or Nordhavn.

Willards appeal most to ex-sail cruiser converting to trawlers who value efficiency, simplicity, and ruggedness. The are a non-nonsense/no-frills trawler that will reliably get you where you want to go in comfort.

Finally, Willards have a devoted and passionate owners group with over 400 owners and followers. Perhaps the first owners' group ever, our extensive archives include mimeographed newsletters from the late 1960's when W36's roamed the Pacific, long before affordable electronics and radar. These are solid boats that travel well.

For more information, please contact the owner rpackard@berkeley.edu. If you have any trouble reaching him, feel free to ping me via PM. I have asked for additional interior pictures.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilliana 1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	116962

Name:	Lilliana 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	116961

Name:	Lilliana 3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	116960

Name:	Lilliana 4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	116959
Old 04-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: A2
Just a side note that Willard Marine’s current yard is in Anaheim not Costa Mesa, they have been there for quite some time.

Aluminum, Fiberglass, & Rigid Inflatable Boats - Willard Marine

That is a lot of boat in a 40, without looking like a wedding cake as some of the modern designs end up.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBlue View Post
Just a side note that Willard Marine’s current yard is in Anaheim not Costa Mesa, they have been there for quite some time.

Aluminum, Fiberglass, & Rigid Inflatable Boats - Willard Marine

That is a lot of boat in a 40, without looking like a wedding cake as some of the modern designs end up.
Thanks for the update. I went to the Willard offices 20 years ago and didn't know they moved. The owner at the time knew the guy who had W36 #40 - my boat, then Taras - built. He was so taken with the boat that he bought the company in the late 1970s.

The W40 Sedan is a remarkable boat for a cruising couple. No frills, but rock solid where she should be and simple where she needs to be. One couple I know owned a W36 for many years and cruised her as far as Panama from southern California. Then bought a W40 and set our again to the east coast and back.

I'm biased, but these are an amazing value compared to other full displacement options. And the seaworthiness of the design cannot be matched.

Peter.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

City: Liberty Corner
Vessel Name: Lady J
Vessel Model: Donelle 35 Sport
Pardon my ignorance but what is the purpose of the vane that is under the waterline? I have not seen this before.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
It is called a rolling chock. There is one on each side of the hull. It's purpose is to reduce roll on a full displacement hull. It is fairly common on commercial fishing boats in the PNW.

Tator
Old 04-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Guru

They are indeed roll chocks. They are often mistakenly called bilge keels, which are a form of twin keel common in areas of big total swings. The twin keels allow the boat to dry-out without topping.

Several Willards have had roll chocks installed with noticeable results. My understanding is that their effect is different than traditional stabilizers. Roll chocks attenuate the roll and reduce the oscillation. Owners report being satisfied with the cost which is reportedly in the #5k range in cheaper labor markets.

On Lilliana, roll chocks were added last year when the boat was laid up in San Carlos due to covid.

Peter
Old 04-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
[ModEdit] Per Classified Guidelines...
The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad.
Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 05-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #8
Guru

UPDATE - the owner of Liliana has created a website with more details and pictures.

https://sites.google.com/view/willar...ome?authuser=1

Willard 40's are really great utility cruisers. No nonsense and simple to run.

Peter
Old 05-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #9

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: JoAhna K
Vessel Model: 58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
Driving to San Carlos is a breeze. 6 hour separate two lanes. A boat Mecca��
Old 11-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

City: COLORADO SPRINGS
Just a helpful detail - I just drove home to Colorado from Baja, passing the turnoff to San Carlos on my way to cross into the US at Mexicali. San Carlos is more like 12 to 14 hours south of the Mexicali border crossing.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #11

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: JoAhna K
Vessel Model: 58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaCruiser View Post
Just a helpful detail - I just drove home to Colorado from Baja, passing the turnoff to San Carlos on my way to cross into the US at Mexicali. San Carlos is more like 12 to 14 hours south of the Mexicali border crossing.
Yes it probably is, we always drove down from Nogales, 6 hours.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
Guru

I had dinner with a Nordhavn 62 owner a few nights ago. He has trwkkes between Panama and Alaska and now keeps his boat in La Paz. Sea of Cortez is, by far, his favorite cruising grounds.

Buying a boat in San Carlos, despite the drive, puts you in the Sea of Cortez. Good place to start a cruise....

Just saying...

Peter
Old 11-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I had dinner with a Nordhavn 62 owner a few nights ago. He has trwkkes between Panama and Alaska and now keeps his boat in La Paz. Sea of Cortez is, by far, his favorite cruising grounds.

Buying a boat in San Carlos, despite the drive, puts you in the Sea of Cortez. Good place to start a cruise....

Just saying...

Peter
Looks stunning!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...4d-111.0370989

https://www.cabosanlucas.net/fast-facts/sea-of-cortez
Old 04-25-2023, 10:00 PM   #14

City: Maryville
Willard 40

Is this actually still for sale???
Old 04-25-2023, 11:55 PM   #15
Guru

No. Boat sold quite some time ago. I don't know of any other Willard 40s right now.

Best of luck.

Peter
Old 04-26-2023, 01:01 AM   #16

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I am listing this at the request and on the behalf of the owner of Lilliana. She is a 1977 model W40 Sedan/Flybridge. Owner is asking $165k

Lilliana has been owned by a very knowledgeable sailor and active part-time cruiser since 2007 with many upgrades and is reportedly in ready-to-cruise condition with a 2500 nm range.
  • Paravane Stabilizers
  • Flopper-stopper at-anchor stabilizers
  • Get-Home electric motor belt-attached to shaft
  • Pisces 27 generator
  • 600 gallons diesel plus 55 gallon day tank
  • Fuel polishing system
  • Perkins 6.354 (135hp) new in 2000
  • Roll-chock stabilizer fins
  • SSB/Ham Radio plus Pactor/SailMail system
  • Watermaker
  • 250 gals water in Stainless Steel tank

Construction of Hull #21 began at the Willard Marine facilities in Costa Mesa, CA in May 1977 and she was launched in January 1978. The flying bridge deck is 1" thick balsa core; and the fore-cabin roof is 1/2" to 1/4" balsa core. The cabin sides are 3/4" plywood core (glass-over). Willard still produces boats at the same California yard as Lilliana was launched, though they ceased recreational boat production in 2001.

I will try to get more interior pictures and more details. Owner is cruising in the Sea of Cortez as I write and not always easily available. He plans to list it with a broker in San Carlos MX (5-hr drive south of Arizona/Mexico border).

While I have not been aboard Lilliana, I have been aboard the owner's other boats: a Willard 30 he cruises in SE Alaska; and a 35-foot vintage sailboat he sails on SF Bay. Both were in immaculate condition. A W40 cruises at 7-1/4 kts and burns about 1.5 gph.

An interesting design feather of the W40's is the center/thwart fuel tank vs saddle tanks on either side of the engine. A center-tank orientation reduces effect on trim as the tank is drained (a big problem on some boats, especially the early N46s). And it makes for a cavernous engine room.

W40s do NOT have stand-up engine rooms which while nice, would greatly increase the height (and A/B ratio) of the boat. W40's are designed with 7000 lbs of concrete/steel-punching ballast against a 30,000 lb displacement (light load) for almost 25% ballast/displacement ratio - more than double Kadey Krogan or Nordhavn.

Willards appeal most to ex-sail cruiser converting to trawlers who value efficiency, simplicity, and ruggedness. The are a non-nonsense/no-frills trawler that will reliably get you where you want to go in comfort.

Finally, Willards have a devoted and passionate owners group with over 400 owners and followers. Perhaps the first owners' group ever, our extensive archives include mimeographed newsletters from the late 1960's when W36's roamed the Pacific, long before affordable electronics and radar. These are solid boats that travel well.

For more information, please contact the owner rpackard@berkeley.edu. If you have any trouble reaching him, feel free to ping me via PM. I have asked for additional interior pictures.

Peter

Attachment 116962
Attachment 116961
Attachment 116960
Attachment 116959
So Peter, what's up?

I was very interested in this boat when it was in San Carlose, but the professor was disinterested, and I then later found out it was already sold. We would jump in line. It's only the #2 Willard 40 I have ever heard of. The 2nd was down in Long Beach or San Pedro a couple of years ago, and wasn't really cruise ready. It had an engine room to die for, but the rest not so much. The galley was like a not very inviting campground. Still, love the boat and the paravanes. Would love to outfit it at this point.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:57 AM   #17
Guru

I have moderated the Willard Owners Group for well over 20 years, so I have had contact with many of the boats and owners. I posted this on TF as a courtesy to a fellow owner. I was not privy to the transaction beyond that.

There were about 2 dozen Willard 40s built starting around 1973. They vary widely in layout and condition. Vega/Willard even sold a couple as bare hulls. Sometimes, there are 2-3 for sale. Sometimes, it can be a year with nothing. Market is currently in a drought period.

Peter

Tags
willard 40