• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

DeFever 44 For Sale - 1983

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Offered for sale ($217,000) is our 1983 DeFever 44, Catalina Jack. We have owned her for eight years but we recently purchased a dirt house and are ready to move on to new adventures. We completed the Great Loop in May of 2019 and have cruised extensively before and after.

Catalina Jack has been extensively upgraded since purchase. The electrical system was completely redone by an ABYC-certified electrician, batteries relocated to a central location, new Magnum 2812 inverter-charger, new Balmar 100-amp alternators (externally controlled). Both heads have been refurbished with new Raritan Marine Elegance toilets and plumbing. The galley is equipped with an induction cooktop. She also comes with a terrific 11-foot center console skiff (Boston Whaler clone) with an EFI Suzuki outboard (20HP).

Follow the link to over 100 pictures, a seven-page document listing every important upgrade, repair, and feature the boat has to offer. Also included is a detailed repair and maintenance log.

The asking price, $217,000, may seem a bit over-priced based on other DeFever 44s that you may have seen for sale recently but after seeing the pictures and what we have done to improve this boat, you may find that the price is not out of bounds. Sure, you may find a less expensive DF44 but not one that will compare well with this boat. Catalina Jack is ready to cruise as she lies.

She is presently berthed under cover at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven in Chester, Maryland (Kent Island), central Chesapeake Bay. There is a yard 10 minutes away for the haul-out for the survey. We live nearby and can show the boat most anytime. This is a private sale, no broker’s commission will be paid. An escrow agent will be engaged to process the sale.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/121hxi7mQQLE2Pxm6q8kl5QwbB87GxB5j?usp=sharing

Had the privilege of being aboard Catalina Jack recently. Lots of impressive upgrades- lighting, heads, electrical, mechanical, etc. John is a detail guy and it reflects in this well found DeFever. Engine room is meticulous and well lit. We're unfortunately a year out from purchasing a boat, but if we were ready now, Catalina Jack would be at the top of the list!

Defever 44's appear to be great boats, but I keep on seeing something I don't understand. The cockpit appears to be open to the elements because the roof stops short forward. Am I missing something? Is there usually an canvas enclosure to make it weathertight? Maybe someone that owns one can give a first-hand account of what this is like.

Defever 44's appear to be great boats, but I keep on seeing something I don't understand. The cockpit appears to be open to the elements because the roof stops short forward. Am I missing something? Is there usually an canvas enclosure to make it weathertight? Maybe someone that owns one can give a first-hand account of what this is like.

I do not understand what you mean in that the cockpit is open. Are you referring to the upper helm? If so, yes, it is exposed but, yes, most owners enclose the upper helm with canvas/marine vinyl as is our boat. Some owners choose to have only a bimini top.

Attachments

• Bow 3.jpg
    Bow 3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 106
Sorry, can't figure out how to properly attach image. I am referring to "Boat Deck 2" picture in your folder.

Sorry, can't figure out how to properly attach image. I am referring to "Boat Deck 2" picture in your folder.

Well, that is the boat deck where many folks store their dinghy. That is an area that would never be covered. I am uncertain as to why this would be a concern for you. It is common to any trawler that has a boat deck. The boat deck itself is the roof of the aft deck.

Attachments

• Boat Deck 2.jpg
    Boat Deck 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 90
Well, that is the boat deck where many folks store their dinghy. That is an area that would never be covered. I am uncertain as to why this would be a concern for you. It is common to any trawler that has a boat deck. The boat deck itself is the roof of the aft deck.

We still have a disconnect. Cockpit(aft deck) is normally covered. As I see it, when it is raining(and especially when windy), the cockpit will have water coming down through the steps opening and the areas between aft deck roof and flybridge.

We still have a disconnect. Cockpit(aft deck) is normally covered. As I see it, when it is raining(and especially when windy), the cockpit will have water coming down through the steps opening and the areas between aft deck roof and flybridge.

Sparky, what you are calling a cockpit is actually the sundeck on a 44; the area covered by the boat deck. The DeFever 44+5 has a true cockpit. There are various canvas enclosures or sunscreens that some 44 owners install but many prefer it to be open to nature. Much depends on where you boat.

Sparky, what you are calling a cockpit is actually the sundeck on a 44; the area covered by the boat deck. The DeFever 44+5 has a true cockpit. There are various canvas enclosures or sunscreens that some 44 owners install but many prefer it to be open to nature. Much depends on where you boat.

So the sundeck is covered and blocks the sun, but if it rains you get wet?

So the sundeck is covered and blocks the sun, but if it rains you get wet?
No, for the most part the boat deck covers the aft deck except for the rather small opening for the ladder to the flybridge which is minor. I still don't get your concern. Besides, most boaters don't cruise when it is raining hard.

No, for the most part the boat deck covers the aft deck except for the rather small opening for the ladder to the flybridge which is minor. I still don't get your concern. Besides, most boaters don't cruise when it is raining hard.

We often sit on the back deck when it is raining, but our boat has an enclosure(that is almost always on) from the radar arch down to the roof of the aft deck that covers up stairwell hole. With the bimini on the flybridge and the side curtains in place this keeps things dry down below. I have looked at a lot of the ads for these Defevers because they seem like a great next step for me, but everyone I have seen doesn't have any covers over that area. I was just wondering if there is something preventing that. Seem that many have a dinghy mount in that area that might preclude covers.

Sparky - I have owned and lived-aboard a Uniflity ACMY 42 that had a very nice flybridge and aft deck enclosure, and spent some time on a Defever 44. The Defever is significantly larger than the Uniflite so it's tough to compare - the aft deck is truly massive with a ton of covered space. Personal preference on whether or not to enclose based on where you use the boat. Personally, I would try to have as little canvas as possible due to storm damage, but that's just me. There is no reason you could not enclose the Defever exactly as you'd like.

While I liked my Uniflite, the Defever is 10x the boat. They are a great value given their size and construction. They may look sorta like a standard knock-off of a Grand Banks, but they are so much more. The Engine Room is very serviceable with plenty of space despite having twin engines. BTW - I have no connection to CaptainJack and have never been aboard their boat so I cannot speak to it specifically, just to Defever 44's in general.

I'd really encourage you to find a way to spend a bit of time on the D44. On this boat, you are doing yourself no favors by relying on internet impressions. There is very little similarity between your Uniflite and the D44.

Good luck

Peter

Sparky - I have owned and lived-aboard a Uniflity ACMY 42 that had a very nice flybridge and aft deck enclosure, and spent some time on a Defever 44. The Defever is significantly larger than the Uniflite so it's tough to compare - the aft deck is truly massive with a ton of covered space. Personal preference on whether or not to enclose based on where you use the boat. Personally, I would try to have as little canvas as possible due to storm damage, but that's just me. There is no reason you could not enclose the Defever exactly as you'd like.

While I liked my Uniflite, the Defever is 10x the boat. They are a great value given their size and construction. They may look sorta like a standard knock-off of a Grand Banks, but they are so much more. The Engine Room is very serviceable with plenty of space despite having twin engines. BTW - I have no connection to CaptainJack and have never been aboard their boat so I cannot speak to it specifically, just to Defever 44's in general.

I'd really encourage you to find a way to spend a bit of time on the D44. On this boat, you are doing yourself no favors by relying on internet impressions. There is very little similarity between your Uniflite and the D44.

Good luck

Peter
Peter, thank you for that clarification. In fact, our DeFever, when purchased, had canvas as you described, fully enclosing everything. Ee hated it and got rid of it. Far too much windage. But, yes, if one wants it enclosed, just pony up a bunch of boat units.

Thanks guys, that clears up a lot of things for me. I haven't come across any Defevers on Lake Erie yet.

Price reduced to $199,000. We are tempted to keep the boat but the first mate, her back, does not want to cruise Canada's heritage canals again. The locks would be a challenge for her. Our plan is to use the funds the upkeep funds to travel extensively in Europe. However, if she doesn't sell, well, we will find a way to enjoy cruising her in some fashion.

We often sit on the back deck when it is raining, but our boat has an enclosure(that is almost always on) from the radar arch down to the roof of the aft deck that covers up stairwell hole. With the bimini on the flybridge and the side curtains in place this keeps things dry down below. I have looked at a lot of the ads for these Defevers because they seem like a great next step for me, but everyone I have seen doesn't have any covers over that area. I was just wondering if there is something preventing that. Seem that many have a dinghy mount in that area that might preclude covers.
hi , i think if you look at catalinajack's thumbnail or avatar on TF it has the full enclosure he said he removed, maybe an early photo?
cheers warren

Offered for sale ($217,000) is our 1983 DeFever 44, Catalina Jack. We have owned her for eight years but we recently purchased a dirt house and are ready to move on to new adventures. We completed the Great Loop in May of 2019 and have cruised extensively before and after.

Catalina Jack has been extensively upgraded since purchase. The electrical system was completely redone by an ABYC-certified electrician, batteries relocated to a central location, new Magnum 2812 inverter-charger, new Balmar 100-amp alternators (externally controlled). Both heads have been refurbished with new Raritan Marine Elegance toilets and plumbing. The galley is equipped with an induction cooktop. She also comes with a terrific 11-foot center console skiff (Boston Whaler clone) with an EFI Suzuki outboard (20HP).

Follow the link to over 100 pictures, a seven-page document listing every important upgrade, repair, and feature the boat has to offer. Also included is a detailed repair and maintenance log.

The asking price, $217,000, may seem a bit over-priced based on other DeFever 44s that you may have seen for sale recently but after seeing the pictures and what we have done to improve this boat, you may find that the price is not out of bounds. Sure, you may find a less expensive DF44 but not one that will compare well with this boat. Catalina Jack is ready to cruise as she lies.

She is presently berthed under cover at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven in Chester, Maryland (Kent Island), central Chesapeake Bay. There is a yard 10 minutes away for the haul-out for the survey. We live nearby and can show the boat most anytime. This is a private sale, no broker’s commission will be paid. An escrow agent will be engaged to process the sale.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/121hxi7mQQLE2Pxm6q8kl5QwbB87GxB5j?usp=sharing
Congratulations that is a tremendously well maintained looking trawler with lots of sensible looking upgrades and improvements.
I assume you had professional help for most of the maintenance and updating. has this been one primary yard or do you have your list of favorite subs? You may not want to say but the cost of keep up this large boat has to be a factor for a new owner, my guess would be av. 10% of value per year?
Oh, so you fit under the 20' height limit of Trent-severn canada system?
cheers warren

Price reduced to $199,000. We are tempted to keep the boat but the first mate, her back, does not want to cruise Canada's heritage canals again. The locks would be a challenge for her. Our plan is to use the funds the upkeep funds to travel extensively in Europe. However, if she doesn't sell, well, we will find a way to enjoy cruising her in some fashion.

Wondering is she is still available. We will be in town for the powerboat show in October. Would love to see her if possible.

Congratulations that is a tremendously well maintained looking trawler with lots of sensible looking upgrades and improvements.

I assume you had professional help for most of the maintenance and updating. has this been one primary yard or do you have your list of favorite subs? You may not want to say but the cost of keep up this large boat has to be a factor for a new owner, my guess would be av. 10% of value per year?

Oh, so you fit under the 20' height limit of Trent-severn canada system?

cheers warren

Air draft is 18' 4" with antennae down. Why would you assume that I had professionals for "most" maintenance and updating? Updating, yes, maintenance some. Changing oil, swapping pumps, replacing water heaters, pretty much ho-hum for me.

Catalina Jack- i am interested in taking a look at her. I live in Millersville, MD and I am available most late afternoon/evenings and on the weekends. I can be reached by text at 301-905-7270

Thanks,
Ty

She is beautiful, and obviously well maintained. I think that is value for money (having bought a 'cheap' one and spent almost half the purchase price on hidden defects..)

Link isn’t working. Still for sale ? I’m in Maryland and would like to see her when time permits if possible

Sold? I’m in Md. let me know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom