• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Beautiful Sea Horse Diesel Duck Jubilee - Michigan US$385,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel Duck 38-2 Jubilee is now in climate-controlled winter storage in Michigan but will be ready to splash in the spring, ideally positioned to commence the loop down the Mississippi, the Great Lakes to the St.Lawrence River, or the Erie Canal/Hudson River, etc. Also ready in all respect to undertake an ocean passage once back in salt water! Check this link and contact the broker for more information
https://jmys.com/listings/diesel-duck-382-jubilee/

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cool boat, look at the overbuild hardware. Looks like it is made to withstand a knockdown!

The Diesel Ducks are made to last indeed, solid ocean-going trawlers with beautiful finish and all the necessary comforts for a live-aboard, I love them!

Last edited:
Designer and character George Buhler has passed. But his book and packed web-site on every thing Diesel Duck are here. Troller Yachts Home Page

Wow!! that could truly be my "forever" boat! Not crazy about the galley down but we all must make sacrifices.

pete

Designer and character George Buhler has passed. But his book and packed web-site on every thing Diesel Duck are here. Troller Yachts Home Page
Indeed had the privilege of dealing with George Buhler through several email exchanges and a few phone calls while I was still debating whether to order a new build or buy an existing Diesel Dock. Smart guy and a character alright! :) RIP.

Wow!! that could truly be my "forever" boat! Not crazy about the galley down but we all must make sacrifices.

pete
Pete, it does have all the necessities for a comfortable life on board with all of the necessary safety features. Great work by Bill Kimley and the Sea Horse team to build upon George Buhler's original design to exploit creatively the space available to fit in everything needed.

Its a beautiful boat but in some ways it has a strange layout. First the one room past the helm feels bleak, beautiful wood but one long bench and drawers on the other side. I'm not really clear what you do in this room.

The galley is long and narrow, why not have had it in the large meaningless room. If you are cooking and someone is coming through to get at the back bedroom, you have to exit and let them through.

Last edited:
What other 38' trawler has a stand-up engine room? With a work bench, no less.

Check out this blog of a Swedish doctor's DD462, "Dora Mac." South Pacific Familyadventure 2008 Circumnavigated w/ family, now cruising in northern Norway waters, as he's serving in that area, now. I can't remember when he switched from sail to the DD, maybe 2008, but he's still using & enjoying it.

Last edited:
R believe one or two chairs are placed in front of the drawers. If you use recliners then also have another place to sleep. Sailplan has little sail area. Likely insufficient for stabilization. Although most DDs have fish this one doesn’t. A 46 ( Mauri) just sold which had a Seakeeper as well. So for Ocean work add in another $15-20k. Listed at $385k. What do you think she will sell at?

A few years ago we met some fellow cruisers who had a DD. We spent some time cruising alongside and yakking over drinks with them. They were fastidious about all things nautical and their vessel had a surprising turn of speed, ie a steady 7.9 knots! Like many serious boaters they had moved from sailing into trawlers as age crept up on them, an echo from other DD owners we've met.

The DD posted looks good from the pictures (are they current?) and appears well equipped excepting lack of stabilization. As usual, necessary close inspections will reveal reality vs the always good Jeff Merrill sales brochures.

All the DD's are nice.
Is it just me or the pics but they seem to sit up above the water high. I realize it's a trade off for more room below. Didn't Beebe say something about 2 story yachts.
That and no helm door on the 38.
But still, I'll have to start a go fund me......

DD's are amazingly seaworthy cruisers, but you have to realize that since everything about boats is a compromise, you trade seaworthiness for internal volume. Also the styling is not for everyone either. A few years ago when I was communicating back and forth with George Buehler I developed a slightly alternative transom styling which I felt really helped out, as I really dislike the dhow styling and that big, flat, actually quite huge stern.

Its a beautiful boat but in some ways it has a strange layout. First the one room past the helm feels bleak, beautiful wood but one long bench and drawers on the other side. I'm not really clear what you do in this room.

The galley is long and narrow, why not have had it in the large meaningless room. If you are cooking and someone is coming through to get at the back bedroom, you have to exit and let them through.
RSN48, the "meaningless room" is actually the main salon. The space between the bookshelves on the port side and the settee on the starboard side is ideal to set up a couple of swivel chairs, giving you flexibility to entertain and mix with guests or watch the flat screen tv set up above the shelves on the port side. Instead of a fixed dining table, which takes up much space, a smaller mobile table is used and moved around as necessary for the day's activities. This also allows to turn the starboard settee into a double bed for added capacity for overnight guests.

No worry about the galley passageway, it is quite wide enough for people to pass back and forth without interfering with a chef in action, not need to exit to let people through. Great use of the space available.

A few years ago we met some fellow cruisers who had a DD. We spent some time cruising alongside and yakking over drinks with them. They were fastidious about all things nautical and their vessel had a surprising turn of speed, ie a steady 7.9 knots! Like many serious boaters they had moved from sailing into trawlers as age crept up on them, an echo from other DD owners we've met.

The DD posted looks good from the pictures (are they current?) and appears well equipped excepting lack of stabilization. As usual, necessary close inspections will reveal reality vs the always good Jeff Merrill sales brochures.
Sunchaser, pics were taken in September 2020, just before we put her into winter storage. What you see there is indeed what you will get as the boat has barely aged, alternating between the fresh water of the Great Lakes and indoor climate-controlled winter storage for the past 10 years.

Sunchaser, pics were taken in September 2020, just before we put her into winter storage. What you see there is indeed what you will get as the boat has barely aged, alternating between the fresh water of the Great Lakes and indoor climate-controlled winter storage for the past 10 years.

CDD
The suggestion as to picture dates - as I recall a new FB top was added. Didn't see it.

But, for any serious buyers the vessel looks wonderful, highlighted by fresh water use and indoor winter storage. Good luck and congratulations on what looks like a great acquisition for someone.

Canadian Duck Dreamer-

Your boat is spectacular! Beautiful colors. Truly elegant interior. Spotless engine room and machinery. Excellent water access and deck tackle. You simply could not pack more into a boat this size than what is on your boat. The heavy sea doors and windows, and polished stainless all show the detail paid to quality and seaworthiness. A++. Man what a boat! If I could afford it you would have my deposit today. Congratulations on owning something this nice.

She has stabilization. Fore-and-aft rigging.

My understanding is most add paravanes. Mauri has both fins and Seakeeper as fins need to come in when it’s shallow or as per the Canadian directive in severe weather.

Beautiful boat, the previous owner was my dock neighbor this past season. Meticulously maintained

Looks like a great boat for passage making.

However, that's not my thing so this wouldn't be my choice. And really don't like the galley layout at all. The real deal killer is the awkward ladder to the fly bridge (unless I missed stairs somewhere).

But, sure built well and looks like a nice super long range cruiser.

During our boat search we spent a day on Jubilee with the PO-1 in the September, 2017. We were interested in a steel trawler and came close to making an offer. Stout, excellent condition and outfitting. We had previously cruised for five years on a zero-frills steel ketch so the amenities seemed like heaven and the opportunity to start off in the Great Lakes was exciting. We quickly realized that no cruising could start until spring and decided to delay an offer, thinking that interest for a steel trawler in Michigan dry storage would be very small. A few months later Jubilee was sold. We were disappointed at first but continued searching and are now quite happy with Stella.

Good luck with the marketing and best wishes to the eventual new owner.

CDD
The suggestion as to picture dates - as I recall a new FB top was added. Didn't see it.

But, for any serious buyers the vessel looks wonderful, highlighted by fresh water use and indoor winter storage. Good luck and congratulations on what looks like a great acquisition for someone.
Sunchaser, thanks for your remarks, she is in exceptionally great shape indeed. Regarding the "FB top", are you referring to the cover over the cockpit? The canvas cover was replaced with a fiber glass hard top in 2017. Cheers!

Canadian Duck Dreamer-

Your boat is spectacular! Beautiful colors. Truly elegant interior. Spotless engine room and machinery. Excellent water access and deck tackle. You simply could not pack more into a boat this size than what is on your boat. The heavy sea doors and windows, and polished stainless all show the detail paid to quality and seaworthiness. A++. Man what a boat! If I could afford it you would have my deposit today. Congratulations on owning something this nice.
Moparharn, thanks for the note, hard to let go of a boat like this indeed. At any rate, hope your having a great Christmas day!

During our boat search we spent a day on Jubilee with the PO-1 in the September, 2017. We were interested in a steel trawler and came close to making an offer. Stout, excellent condition and outfitting. We had previously cruised for five years on a zero-frills steel ketch so the amenities seemed like heaven and the opportunity to start off in the Great Lakes was exciting. We quickly realized that no cruising could start until spring and decided to delay an offer, thinking that interest for a steel trawler in Michigan dry storage would be very small. A few months later Jubilee was sold. We were disappointed at first but continued searching and are now quite happy with Stella.

Good luck with the marketing and best wishes to the eventual new owner.
DCDC, thanks for the kind words, that was me that came in after you, sorry that I have to sell as she is a great boat indeed. But happy that you are happy with Stella, have a great Christmas day!

My understanding is most add paravanes. Mauri has both fins and Seakeeper as fins need to come in when it’s shallow or as per the Canadian directive in severe weather.

Could you explain further? A number of terms and directives I am in the dark on..:)
Thanks and Merry Christmas

Seakeeper is a gyro system. Requires nothing outside the boat which is great for metal boats. Downside is due to weight of steel a very large unit is required at additional expense. Upside is there’s nothing outside to get hit or entangled. Paravanes can be dangerous in extreme weather. For a boat jubilee’s size they should be run deeper than then the underwater portion of the waves you’re going to see, need to be weighted and of sufficient surface area so are cumbersome. Therefore they usually not deployed in coastal settings except if the water is quite deep and the run is long enough to make it worthwhile. Upside is less expensive than fins and much less than gyros as well as requiring no hydraulics nor electricity nor much in the way of maintenance.

Seakeeper is a gyro system. Requires nothing outside the boat which is great for metal boats. Downside is due to weight of steel a very large unit is required at additional expense. Upside is there’s nothing outside to get hit or entangled. Paravanes can be dangerous in extreme weather. For a boat jubilee’s size they should be run deeper than then the underwater portion of the waves you’re going to see, need to be weighted and of sufficient surface area so are cumbersome. Therefore they usually not deployed in coastal settings except if the water is quite deep and the run is long enough to make it worthwhile. Upside is less expensive than fins and much less than gyros as well as requiring no hydraulics nor electricity nor much in the way of maintenance.

Excellent post thanks, I'll not hijack this fine boat thread. I want to discuss rolling chocks in the future. (I do not like paravanes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom