Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #1

City: Cleveland, Ohio
Vessel Name: Suzie Q
Vessel Model: 1984 Kadey Krogen Manatee
1984 Kadey Krogen Manatee $137,500

After 15 years and, unfortunately not much use, we are letting our Suzie Q go. Health issues make it impossible to continue our dream of someday doing the Great Circle Loop. We took her in 2008 from Cleveland, Ohio to Brystol, RI and back, took six weeks, but that was our only real excursion. Since then we replaced the engine with a new 75 HP Yanmar engine. Right now it has 100 hours on it.

All the big buck items are installed. Central air, electronics, bow thruster, Windlass and 100 feet of anchor chain and line, generator, Vacuflush toilet and new holding tank, fuel polishing system, new water heater, a 2002 Nautica jet boat as our dinghy with a davit system tough enough to handle it.

New hardwood headboard in bedroom and new Amish-made suede cloth upholstery in salon. The salon hosts a custom built cherry cabinet for our flat screen TV that lifts up by remote when ready to relax for the day. We even have original blueprints by James S Krogen himself! All serious inquiries will be considered.

All outside teak was professionally refinished this fall.

Please email for photos!
loparosue@aol.com

orapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #2

City: NW Nevada
Hi, is this a single or double stateroom model? Thanks.

Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Man...sorry to hear that you didn’t get more cruising in, but if things don’t clear up in this Pandemic thing, we might all be in for a lot less cruising than planned. Best of luck with the sale. Sounds like a nice boat.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post

It's a single stateroom.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Man...sorry to hear that you didn’t get more cruising in, but if things don’t clear up in this Pandemic thing, we might all be in for a lot less cruising than planned. Best of luck with the sale. Sounds like a nice boat.

Thank you! It is! We had lofty plans for the Suzie Q!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #6

City: Townsend
The "new 75 HP Yanmar engine" seems awfully small for 36' Trawler. A quick search seems to indicate they were built with a single 110 Volvo Diesel. I'm new to looking for a trawler but it just seems like it would be underpowered, am I missing something here?
Captain.Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Morgan View Post
The "new 75 HP Yanmar engine" seems awfully small for 36' Trawler. A quick search seems to indicate they were built with a single 110 Volvo Diesel. I'm new to looking for a trawler but it just seems like it would be underpowered, am I missing something here?

Yes. Displacement of about 10 metric tons. Likely doesn’t need more than 15-20hp to cruise at 6+ knots.

If your interest is long duration passages then I’d say it’s perfectly powered.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
That’s a shame you can’t continue your dream. I know what having such serious health issues can do, or rather stop you from doing what you want. My heart goes out to you.
If I might make a suggestion, you might want to include a profile picture of your boat in the initial post to help build some excitement. Just a thought.
Best wishes.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

City: Townsend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Yes. Displacement of about 10 metric tons. Likely doesn’t need more than 15-20hp to cruise at 6+ knots.

If your interest is long duration passages then I’d say it’s perfectly powered.
Thanks Mako, that's good to know. I'm sure that would help keep fuel costs low as well!
Captain.Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post

Single stateroom.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Morgan View Post

The Suzie Q (#11) came with a Perkins 50 HP engine. It took us to Rhode Island and back with no problem other than leaking a quart of oil a day. Haha! I have a photo of us going 11.2 MPH through Hell's Gate on the East River in New York! We upgraded to the Yanmar 75 and were told that this would provide maximum power for this boat.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
That’s a shame you can’t continue your dream. I know what having such serious health issues can do, or rather stop you from doing what you want. My heart goes out to you.
If I might make a suggestion, you might want to include a profile picture of your boat in the initial post to help build some excitement. Just a thought.
Best wishes.

Good idea! I was having trouble navigating the site and didn't see an opportunity for a photo. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp. ( Sales Hype )
Then 100 hp and finally 110 hp engines.
A very reputable diesel mechanic told me if the turbo failed on my Volvo 100 hp engine he could bypass it and the engine would produce a natural 50 hp. He also liked the fact that the engine was sleeved and could be rebuilt.
Orapol what is the fuel burn rate on your 75 hp Yanmar engine ?
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp.

Hmm. Interesting! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp. ( Sales Hype )
Then 100 hp and finally 110 hp engines.
A very reputable diesel mechanic told me if the turbo failed on my Volvo 100 hp engine he could bypass it and the engine would produce a natural 50 hp. He also liked the fact that the engine was sleeved and could be rebuilt.
Orapol what is the fuel burn rate on your 75 hp Yanmar engine ?

We get 8 miles per gallon per hour.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
That’s a great selling point, ours does 5 3/4 mpg. You can never tell when diesel will be $4.50 @ gallon again. Back then we cruised when others stayed tied up.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #17

Quote:
That’s a great selling point, ours does 5 3/4 mpg. You can never tell when diesel will be $4.50 @ gallon again. Back then we cruised when others stayed tied up.

Exactly! It is so nice not to have to worry about not being able to afford the most essential item!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
My Willard 36 carries 6000 lbs of ballast and is likely significantly heavier than a Manatee (though my W36 also has quite a bit less windage). My Perkins 4.236 sports 80 hp and is perfectly sized to my boat. W36s came with a number of different horsepower options with most in the 120hp. By far, the best match is the Perkins 4.236 80 hp.

Bottom line, the new yanmar in this manatee is the engine size I'd recommend. I fully understand the American Way is bigger engines, but 75 hp is likely perfect.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I’m not sure why the Manatees ended up with Volvo 90-110 engines, but a 75 Yanmar is correctly sized, IMO. The cruising Manatee averages 24-26k lbs. with a few exceptions like Ted Pongracz (on his 31st loop) closer to 30k. I’ve got a 140 Yanmar repower and all it will do is dig a bigger ditch.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #20
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
When Willard made their last handful of Willard 40s, every experienced opinion suggested an 80 hp engine. JD4045 natural. Willard went with a 4045T rated at 130-ish hp due to market perception that 80 hp is underpowered.

People want a displacement boat but do not fully understand the principles behind that underpin

Peter

mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote