Old 11-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #181
Veteran Member

City: Saint Petersburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
You miight want to get some ballast down there in the bilge!! Stability is in question with all that weight pulled out. How dicey stability is impossible to tell over the net. Get some weight down low and leave it there until you start adding batteries. They make good ballast.

Any factory ballast in the keel/bilge?
It looks very unstable to me as it sits.

There is no factory ballast in the keel. The keel is completely open access so I could fill it with whatever.

I think I will fill the fuel tank with water today and see how that lowers the water line. The tank is molded down low in the keel. 300 gallons should make a difference.
Star-Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #182
Veteran Member

with water ballast

I filled the fuel tank (300gallons) with water to provide some ballast.
It is still sitting high but hopefully good enough for now.

You can see the change in the water line on the bow thruster tunnel before and after I filled the tank.

I plan to tow it 20miles across Tampa Bay to my dock this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	without water ballast.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	96855

Click image for larger version

Name:	with water ballast.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	96854
Star-Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #183

City: Beaufort, NC
Any new updates?
Jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #184
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
All I can say is WOW!!! I just read all 183 posts. At around 150 I was going to jump in and strongly urge you to go with a single engine, then you made the decision on your own, good call. Then I was going to ask how you intended to keep motivated. ( I have a Corvette torn apart in my garage that I have not touched in 5 years) You are not only motivated but talented. Great Job so far.
IMHO you are now getting to the interesting part of your conversion. Sort of done with cleaning and grinding and demolishing.

I don't have any advice or criticism . Just wanted to say Great Job so Far!!

When do we get another walking tour?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #185

City: Mary Esther, FL
Any updates? How’s the progress coming?
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #186
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Good luck with the continuation of this interesting project! I'm especially interested to see how you will be able to fit 15 x 300w panels on this boat. Will you have solar decks? (just kidding).
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #187

City: Boston
Updates

This was a great read. I'd love to see if you've made any progress.
Wanna Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #188
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Sounds like a fun project. I look forward to following. And once you are done and running for a while, I’ll be interested to hear where and how you see an electric boat like this fitting in the market. What sort of usage is practical and/or advantageous for electric
"Fit in" to what? Its his personal boat. And do you know about maintenance and longevity of electric motors compared to diesel?
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #189
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
"Fit in" to what? Its his personal boat. And do you know about maintenance and longevity of electric motors compared to diesel?

My, did Santa leave you coal to make you so grumpy?

I think the answer to your question is right in your quote from my post. I’m interested in his thoughts about how electric boats fit into the market for boats in general.

“Just because I want to do it” is all the reason anyone needs to do something personally.

And yes, I think I have a pretty good handle on the maintenance differences, including battery maintenance and longevity depending on battery technology.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #190
Guru

Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:

I think the answer to your question is right in your quote from my post. I’m interested in his thoughts about how electric boats fit into the market for boats in general.

“Just because I want to do it” is all the reason anyone needs to do something personally.

And yes, I think I have a pretty good handle on the maintenance differences, including battery maintenance and longevity depending on battery technology.
A good handle indeed. Many thanks again TT for tips on running dual Balmars in series off a single engine.

BTW - quite the story about your boat delivery. Must have been a shock to go inside. Boats can be quite a peak and valley emotional ride

Happy holidays.

Peter
Old 12-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #191
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Quote:

The maintenace issue means at least one builder offers a lifetime warranty on the electric propulsion motors , and I think 8 on the litium ion batteries, and 25 years for the solar panels. I think they said the motor might need a new bering after 50,000 hours.

We keep seeing more and more electric and hybrid boads.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #192

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Bravo! When I got to the point where you converted to single screw, you pretty much nailed how Gulfstar did it on the motorsailer version of that boat. If you need any references for rudder size, look to the old GS motorsailers.

Nice job none the less and it makes me wish I had more motivation and time. I've been spending it all on my old mustang.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #193
Scraping Paint

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Rumpus van puffy bun
Vessel Model: Vashon 23
Smile

You the man star-lord! Nothing but enthusiasm for your project thanks for sharing it is so groot!
Retired. Crabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #194

City: Cleveland, Ohio
electric conversions

Quote:
BoatDiesel.com has some calculators that you might find helpful. I played around with a 40' waterline displacement boat weighing 40,000 lbs. I'm thinking that should be pretty close to what you have. 8.5kw at the flywheel will drive the boat 4.4 kts. 100kWh will last for about 11 hrs allowing for a very small conversion loss (probably too small), so range should be 45-50 nm.

Solar recharge at 4.5kw will take about 23 hrs of full sun and full output. With a typical 5hrs of full sun equivalent available per day from solar panels, you are looking around 5 days to recharge before you can go another 45-50 nm. And that assumes no house electric loads, which of course won't be the case.

You could of course run the generator to recharge and/or power the electric drive, but that will always consume more fuel than direct diesel power.

You might want to run some of these numbers to characterize what the boat will do. It's all pretty predictable. Now I'm a firm believe that "because I want to". or "because it will be fun" is all the reason anyone needs to take on a project. Practicality doesn't have to factor into it. Heck, that's sort of the definition of boating, isn't it? But I think it's always good to have an idea what you might expect as an outcome.
Has anyone researched the methane fuel cells? basically one cell would provide enough electricity for an Atlantic crossing and back. being utilized in the big ships.

I am currently researching on converting my diesel to electric with a battery bank ballast and a methanol fuel cell, it is roughly the size of a full sized refrigerator. If anyone has any knowledge on them, I would be eager to absorb and learn
R0dger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:35 PM   #195
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. The ONLY thing I know about fuel cells is the name Ballard. Nice project.

https://www.ballard.com/
Old 06-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #196
Guru

City: Marion, Massachusetts
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Efoy makes small fuel cells that can be “stacked” to make a larger output.

Methanol availablity on the east coast is limited though.

This could be a good alternative to keeping the batteries up when it rains for three days, or where you can’t fit solar panels.

But are not designed to be high output, so no boat HVAC or hot water that a gender provides

https://www.my-efoy.com/en/
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #197

City: Mary Esther, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
I filled the fuel tank (300gallons) with water to provide some ballast.
It is still sitting high but hopefully good enough for now.

You can see the change in the water line on the bow thruster tunnel before and after I filled the tank.

I plan to tow it 20miles across Tampa Bay to my dock this weekend.

Attachment 96855

Attachment 96854

Any new updates Star-Lord?
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #198

City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0dger View Post
Has anyone researched the methane fuel cells? basically one cell would provide enough electricity for an Atlantic crossing and back. being utilized in the big ships.
Understand the difference between methane (a gas) and methanol (a liquid). Methane (CH4) is a carbon atom bonded to four hydrogen atoms. Methanol (C3HOH) puts an oxygen atom between one of the hydrogen atoms and the carbon atom. It’s an alcohol, though don’t drink it.

Using either one with a fuel cell requires reformation of the fuel into its component parts to free up the hydrogen, which will ultimately be bound with atmospheric oxygen to form water. If I understand the process correctly, the OH portion of the methanol breaks off by itself and doesn’t get processed in the fuel cell, so you’re only getting 3H out of one methanol atom, as well as one C, which combines with atmospheric oxygen to create CO2. The methane process is simpler, with all four hydrogen atoms being used up in the fuel cell and the carbon atom going off to merrily form CO2.

The problem here is that the reformer takes energy to run, cutting into the efficiency. There are some “DMFC” (direct methanol fuel cell) systems that bypass the need for a reformer, but they’re horribly inefficient, with much of the energy going to waste heat.

Any hydrocarbon fuel (methane, gasoline, diesel, ethanol, methanol, etc.) is an energy store. The trouble is getting the energy out without polluting the planet, which is what burning it directly with atmospheric oxygen does. Reforming any of them into free hydrogen and carbon, then running the hydrogen through a fuel cell, is “inefficient” in terms of the long chain of processes necessary to get to useful energy, but it’s still MORE EFFICIENT than straight up burning it in an internal combustion engine.

And now I’ve entirely exhausted my ability to speak on this subject.

Hope this helps.

JD
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote