Old 08-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #201
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Yard and house tools use 100% clean, renewably generated electric energy for charging?

Yup to the extent feasible. And we sell power back to grid. Some local laws are stupid if the goal is truly to decrease carbon. In my locale I’m limited as to how much solar electricity I can generate on a residential property before becoming a commercial supplier. The rate I get for my power and the tax implications aren’t as favorable if commercial. Also I’m not permitted to go entirely off grid. I’m obligated to connect to the grid. This means battery storage becomes much less attractive and to achieve redundancy for storms and grid failures I had to install a propane generator. With out that confounder all house energy requirements would be solar generated on site. Now make more energy than we use and go through a rigamarole. Friend who worked for the power plant suggested if enough people went off grid for all domestic needs and ran domestically charged EVs it would impact the power companies bottom line. Building and maintaining the electrical grid is expensive. A dramatic fall in users would increase costs to maintain it for fewer billable customers. Domestic production is their competition. Off grid doesn’t generate income for them. They still need to run and maintain a line down the street to supply my neighbors who aren’t off grid.
My vision was to transition to one plug in hybrid one EV and charge them myself. Store my energy to a sufficient degree as to not need a generator. Eliminate all middleman costs and not be subject to the whims of politicians or local mandates. Now get paid at a lower rate for my power then they sell it for (once the tax credits are used up) and still stuck with a FF genset for back up.
Be curious to see if a tax credit or rebate is offered for recreational boats if EV or hybrid.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #202
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Yard and house tools use 100% clean, renewably generated electric energy for charging?

Yup to the extent feasible. And we sell power back to grid. Some local laws are stupid if the goal is truly to decrease carbon. In my locale Iím limited as to how much solar electricity I can generate on a residential property before becoming a commercial supplier. The rate I get for my power and the tax implications arenít as favorable if commercial. Also Iím not permitted to go entirely off grid. Iím obligated to connect to the grid. This means battery storage becomes much less attractive and to achieve redundancy for storms and grid failures I had to install a propane generator. With out that confounder all house energy requirements would be solar generated on site. Now make more energy than we use and go through a rigamarole. Friend who worked for the power plant suggested if enough people went off grid for all domestic needs and ran domestically charged EVs it would impact the power companies bottom line. Building and maintaining the electrical grid is expensive. A dramatic fall in users would increase costs to maintain it for fewer billable customers. Domestic production is their competition. Off grid doesnít generate income for them. They still need to run and maintain a line down the street to supply my neighbors who arenít off grid.
My vision was to transition to one plug in hybrid one EV and charge them myself. Store my energy to a sufficient degree as to not need a generator. Eliminate all middleman costs and not be subject to the whims of politicians or local mandates. Now get paid at a lower rate for my power then they sell it for (once the tax credits are used up) and still stuck with a FF genset for back up.
Be curious to see if a tax credit or rebate is offered for recreational boats if EV or hybrid.
Don't be surprised if in the future, the electric lines down the street become a line item on your property tax bill just like water lines, sewer lines, and road maintenance. Instead of being charged for killowatts flowing to your house, it will be for access. Lots of townships include a number of services as part of your tax bill, whether you use them or not. Some of those things included are:

Water
Sewer
Trash
Public Library
Sidewalks
Roads
Public schools for everyone in your house
And this list goes on.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:37 AM   #203
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I know that tax credits help push the green agenda, but it's a little ironic that they are mostly subsidizing rich people buying expensive cars. Boats could very well be next. I am also slowly replacing all small yard tools with electric, but mainly because they are easier and better, not to save the small amount of fuel they burn.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #204
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
For all his faults (and there are many) Biden understood your point B&B. The inflation bill speaks directly to that.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote