Older say Nordhavn or newer North Pacific/Helsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since i am new to boating and am picking up a new np45 next week outside of fuel capacity what does a nordhaven have that a np45 doesn't?

For starters at least 2 or everything.
its like asking whats the difference in a Escalade vs Hyundai Kona

Or a cessna 172 vs a G5

Boats designed for a completely different mission. If you depart a West Coast port heading West the nordhavn can go West, most boats turn left or right.
HOLLYWOOD

A similar size Nordhavn will be weighing 80000 pounds compared to your 45s displacement of 35 to 40.

My N-37 (wll 37') weighed 48,000 lbs. on travel lift scales. The GH-47 weighs 80,000lbs.

Of course most boats don't have all of that. But that's not really my point. It's more about how the boat is designed to be used. Do you want to be able to stay out comfortably for 1, 3, 7, 10 days? It's something to consider when you are boat shopping.

As for spares would you rather have a spare freshwater pump tucked away on the boat or already hooked up? Not much difference in cost but a huge difference in what happens when pump # 1 fails. Flip a switch or an immediate must repair. There's a reason Nordhavn's cost that much:)

I know a lot of people who add redundancy for this reason. Yes, you can safely stop and get something fixed, or find it somewhere, or have ti shipped in. But with the right redundancy, you can simply carry on, and fix things when it's convenient to do so. So it's repairs on your schedule, not repairs on the broken part's schedule.

The same thinking applies to spares. I know a lot of people who will never fix their own engine, but figure they can always find some who can, PROVIDED they have the necessary parts.

But redundancy costs, takes up space, creates more things to wear out or break from lack of use, etc. So as always, there is no free lunch. All we get to do is trade one thing off for another.

J hall
Hundreds if not thousands of vessels ply the waters annually from Oregon to AK lacking most of the items on your list.

Yeah, and also all the small sailboats that cross oceans all the time on bare bones boats too.

Indeed, Obviously, whether to go or not and in what is always a Captain's subjective decision as the Captain ultimately owns the consequences good or bad. Life it self is a daily risk balance assessment.

Last edited:
Boats designed for a completely different mission. If you depart a West Coast port heading West the nordhavn can go West, most boats turn left or right.
"Brevity is the soul of wit." I usually turn right! :thumb:

certain spares are essential coffee is a high priority!

If you are thinking about staying in the PNW, then I'd go with a coastal cruiser. Nordhavens are beautiful boats well designed for blue water cruising. However, foot for foot, they don't have as much room or as much comfort as a modern coastal cruiser. $$ for $$ not even close.

However, if you wanted to regularly go down the West coast to Mexico etc... then I'd likely look for a blue water boat.

My opinion is obvious by the boat that I chose to buy. For our waters, it really is pretty idea. As usual, the boat can take far rougher seas than I can. With 400 gallons, fuel range is a non-issue for me. The only real limiting factors are holding tank size and water capacity as I don't have a water maker.

We are making our way back to San Diego after a 5 week trip and are currently in Dana Point on a guest dock. I grew up here, so it always nice to be back and to get some paddling in with my old mates. Nordhavn is based here and there are several new ones that are getting outfitted with electronics, etc. There are also a few smaller older boats which are also for sale. Great boats, but for coastal cruising and what we are doing they are not a platform I would personally choose.

Perhaps you are not a good candidate for boat ownership :)

I find more enjoyment from actually using the boat vs fixing the boat. I have been boating for over a decade now in 70s through 00 boats. I have fixed, traced and repaired various systems. As with most things we acquire from houses, RVs, boats, etc. The older those various systems are the more of those systems will need to be looked after. It however doesn't mean someone wouldn't be a good candidate for ownership. I'll be on the water until the day I die in one fashion or another. :whistling::thumb:

Selecting a live-aboard cruising boat, is by it's nature a subjective process. General coarse metrics can be universally applied but the ultimate metric is whether the boat allows you the most flexibility to go where you intend with options to change your mind, in the comfort and life style you desire. I am a pragmatic cruiser, so easy and complete access to all systems is essential. I was advised when I started cruising by an old salt "...sonny don't forget everything on a boat be broken, ya just don't know it yet..."! Access produces dividends via prevention and time$$$ saved for repairs and the eventual system replacement when paying by the hour for marine technician labor.

Air draft and in water draft can severely limit or facilitate where you can go and anchor. Getting onto and off the boat is something you will do repeatedly. Can you easily get on and off the boat safely? How about carrying a dog, groceries and parts. Have a bad back or knee/hip. Orthopedic injuries don't get better with age. How about getting into or out of a dinghy? A boats ability to cross oceans is often overblown as is seldom done by most boaters and alternative options such as shipping are always available. I personally like the comfort afforded by truly redundant twins with separate running gears that actually cruise the boat near normal cruise speed and still enable handling. Tanks that won't corrode(e.g. fiberglass) are a real plus in the out years resell values. Storage is another. You will fill it and need it. All that said, I am a huge fan of the Great Harbour Trawlers especially the N's (My favorite, however I am prejudiced as I formally owned one and cruised it 44,000+ miles. They have proven open water cruising histories(one went to Hawaii, another to Bermuda from Jacksonville Fa.) and are unmatched by interior space within their 37'X15'11" foot print. Lot's to think about good luck, stay safe and Healthy.

If only one was available on the west coast :-(

Back
Top Bottom