Old 10-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #81
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Turtle
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
How much power does your diesel furnace draw? My house bank is only 400ah (2x L16) and if I added some solar, it would be plenty big enough. Between just fridge and other small loads, I typically draw around 40 ah overnight. Daytime consumption is a bit higher (fridge works harder with higher temps, usually have the stereo on, etc.). So figure anywhere from 100 - 150 ah in a 24 hour period.

Do you have similar draw numbers for your current boat? And maybe a sense of how similar your draws will be on the new boat?

In my case, I end up running the generator 1 - 2 hours per day while away from shore power whether the batteries need charging or not. My galley is all electric, so the generator gets run in the morning to make coffee and use the stove or microwave. And often in the evening for galley power as well. Plus, one of those runs usually serves to warm up the hot water tank for showers. So that generator runtime (most of which can't be replaced with an inverter) plus probably 600-ish watts of solar (which I don't currently have) would make me power independent basically indefinitely even if my loads grow a bit.
the furnace draws about 6A when it's running. We tend to spend more time on the dock plugged in when it's cold anyway, so it hasn't been a major contributor to draw. I did a full spreadsheet for draw based on real numbers puled from my battery monitor on the current boat. We also have hundreds of hours aboard, so we have solid intuitions about power use.

For the new boat, we're using estimates and assumptions. The fridge is a small domestic model, which runs on AC only, so the inverter will be on all the time. There are a number of items that will be more power intensive. But, with a quieter generator (running our current generator is a bit loud) and the solar panels, I suspect our usage patterns will be different.

From the input on this thread, it sounds like 300 Ah useable should be fine if we plan to run the generator or cruise somewhere every day. If we wind up falling a bit short, we can always add another 200Ah battery.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #82
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
the furnace draws about 6A when it's running. We tend to spend more time on the dock plugged in when it's cold anyway, so it hasn't been a major contributor to draw. I did a full spreadsheet for draw based on real numbers puled from my battery monitor on the current boat. We also have hundreds of hours aboard, so we have solid intuitions about power use.

For the new boat, we're using estimates and assumptions. The fridge is a small domestic model, which runs on AC only, so the inverter will be on all the time. There are a number of items that will be more power intensive. But, with a quieter generator (running our current generator is a bit loud) and the solar panels, I suspect our usage patterns will be different.

From the input on this thread, it sounds like 300 Ah useable should be fine if we plan to run the generator or cruise somewhere every day. If we wind up falling a bit short, we can always add another 200Ah battery.

If you are concerned about it, you can always ask Trevor about adding another battery. Likely it would be cheaper and easier to have them do it at the factory than waiting until after delivery.

Another thing I have thought of repeatedly is the possibility of combining the house and thruster banks. Im not sure how the NP45 is configured, but that would give you an 800Ah bank to use for both. It might be worth considering and asking Trevor and a qualified marine electrician.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #83

City: Thun
front bilge

We own an NP43 since last year and had sweet water in stb and port side front bilge in the engine room. It needed some time to identify the source: The top of both water tanks were leaking. It was repaired by glueing and screwing - problem solved
cygnus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:28 AM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Speaking of North Pacific, has anyone had any contact with DHayes since he faded gently into the night? His last post was November.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #85
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Speaking of North Pacific, has anyone had any contact with DHayes since he faded gently into the night? His last post was November.

His profile shows he last logged on in early March. So he's been around more recently, although quiet.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #86

City: LAGO VISTA
I have been paying attention to other details and features of NP's and for the first time I poured over the dimensions of the boat. I was very surprised to see that on a 2007 42 the beam is only 12'7". While I have not stepped aboard an NP, I thought that is very narrow for a 42' trawler compared to others in the same class as NP's.

Can you help me understand the narrow(er) beam?
Bajarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #87
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
David appears alive and well. His last post was October 5, 2020.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
David appears alive and well. His last post was October 5, 2020.
Yes, he reappeared.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #89

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarat View Post
I have been paying attention to other details and features of NP's and for the first time I poured over the dimensions of the boat. I was very surprised to see that on a 2007 42 the beam is only 12'7". While I have not stepped aboard an NP, I thought that is very narrow for a 42' trawler compared to others in the same class as NP's.

Can you help me understand the narrow(er) beam?
Id call Trevor at NP Yachts. 1-877-564-9989
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Id call Trevor at NP Yachts. 1-877-564-9989
I emailed him, waiting to see if he replies.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #91
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The somewhat similar(from the same factory) Clipper 40 sold in Australia has 13ft 3" beam. With twins, only the "thin" fit between 2 Cummins 5.9s. You access the engines from either end via dual entry hatches.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarat View Post
I emailed him, waiting to see if he replies.
Received email from Trevor last night !
Old 01-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #93

City: Southport
Np45

Hello, I am new to the forum and learning my way around but wanted to see if there are any North Pacific 45 owners out there and get your overall thoughts on NP. Looking at a new build and not seeing a lot of post in last 12 months.
Thanks.
Trasea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #94

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Hello, I have a 2019 NP 45 and love it. Feel free to message me to discuss if you like.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #95
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Turtle
We purchased NP4512 in 2020 and have been very pleased. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Also, there's a link to our blog in the Contact Info tab of my profile that covers some of the commissioning and maintenance stuff we've done.

I posted a lot when the boat was being built and we couldn't cruise - that dropped off once we could spend time on the boat ;-)
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #96

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasea1 View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum and learning my way around but wanted to see if there are any North Pacific 45 owners out there and get your overall thoughts on NP. Looking at a new build and not seeing a lot of post in last 12 months.
Thanks.
I have a 2017 NP45. (to Bajarat) The beam is 13'8".

My neighbor has a Nordhavn 55. I've been in it and the woodwork looks like it was done in the same factory. That should give you some idea of the interior quality. A mechanic that I hired told me that the NP reminded him of a Nordhavn. I didn't respond to that so I don't really know what he meant by it. Another mechanic said that he boat oozes quality. LOL, I liked that comment. There is something about the brand that attracts a lot of attention and comments.

That said here are a couple issues hat I have with her but very few. After 3 seasons and 2000 nm:

1) The cockpit is a bit small and could easily be increased by reducing the size of the huge swim-step.

2) It is a tall boat and can feel a bit top heavy in a big beam sea but has never felt dangerously top heavy. I only noticed it once while making a hard turn and transitioning from a head sea to a beam sea. The waves ranged from 4-7 feet. For the most part she feels very solid. I also have a 600 pound RIB up top.

3) I wish the hard top was a bit bigger but that would add even more weight up top.

4) In big seas water can get on to the pilot house floor around the side doors. I think they forgot to put in weather stripping at the back of the pilot house doors. It should be an easy fix.

Things that I love:

1) The pilot house! Plenty of room for lots of electronics.

2) The floor plan

3) The large galley

4) The fit and finish

5) She sips fuel!

6) The over all design and aesthetics including the stainless steel trim around the windows

7) There is teak everywhere

8) The master bedroom with all the teak cabinetry and hanging locker

9) The beautiful head with the large shower with tile accent and the frosted heavy shower door.

10) Large lazarette and engine room

I'm always on the look-out for my next boat. So far I haven't seen anything that I want over what I have. Except the Nordhavns. I would love a Nordhavn 475. But I'd have to pay twice what I paid for my NP. Even if I bought a used 15 year old N47 it would cost me almost what I paid for the NP45 new.

You can't go wrong buying a Norh Pacific.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #97
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasea1 View Post
Thanks.
Trasea1,

If you are in the northeast I would be happy to show you my boat Datenight, 4514. We just took delivery this past June. I am in Groton, CT. Not sure which Southport you are in.

Rob