Old 10-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #21

City: Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANAUH View Post
Seems to be a lot of happy NP45 owners on this site. Looking for input form those with first hand experience owning one of these nice looking yachts. My wife and I are considering a NP45 for our retirement. Plan would be to do a couple of laps around the Great Loop, maybe a little bit of time in the Bahamas, and then settle down in the PNW. We are now talking with Trevor and looking at maybe purchasing 4521 or 4522. Delivery would be spring of Ď23 to coincide with our return to the US (currently working in Abu Dhabi). Apparently NPY has sold quite a few 45ís of late!

Interested to here other owners experience with buying and owning a NP45. What advice do you for someone just starting the process of buying a new NP yacht. What what have you learned that you wish you knew up front? Which options are must haves and which did you really not need? Open to any and all suggestions. For example, as we will be using the boat in warmer climates for the first few years, AC is a must have. So, is a reverse cycle AC unit enough, or do we also want a more efficient heater option for when we are cruising FT in the PNW? What engine size did you go with and why? Dingy on top or off the stern? Do you have/need stabilizers and if so what kind (wife was always queasy first few days out on our Lagoon 450 catamaran)? Standard AGM battery package or did you upgrade to solar and lithium? Again, any advice is welcome.
Currently building a 43E Helmsman for use on Chesapeake Bay and South Florida so A/C is a must. Our boat has 3 A/C units. One for the salon, one for the master stateroom and one for the pilot house. About 45,000 BTUís total. Power draw will be about 30 amps. We get numerous 90-100 degree days on the Chesapeake with high humidity. Check to see if your A/C units are on separate breaker or part of your overall amperage.

Our engine choice was the Cummins 550. Wanted the max size we could fit to get max speed if needed or wanted. It doesnít compromise fuel economy that much. So it seemed like cost, fuel economy and speed were the considerations.
Helmsman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #22
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
np sales were number for 4 for 2020 1-fleming 2-swift trawler 3-grand banks-4np-5 outer reef 6-nordhaven 7marlo explorer.
Interesting
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #23
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
np sales were number for 4 for 2020 1-fleming 2-swift trawler 3-grand banks-4np-5 outer reef 6-nordhaven 7marlo explorer.
Interesting
Interesting. Source of information?
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Interesting
what does this mean? Not the number of boats sold during that year but ...?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Interesting
Most contrived rankings I've seen. Cite source and basis.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #26
Guru

i cant validate nor do i really care who sells the most or least boats. Just interesting reading.
Attached Thumbnails
np sales.jpg  
Old 11-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
i cant validate nor do i really care who sells the most or least boats. Just interesting reading.
Probably ranked then by revenue. Fleming doesn't sell perhaps as many hulls but they cost more.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Not a NP45 owner butÖ.

I bought a used NP 43 through Trevor about 5 years ago.

Everything that folks say about Trevor are true. I trust him completely.

NP boats are well designed and well built. My NP 43 is a 2010 boat. Iíve been on a number of NP 42s and 43s, and have been on a NP 45. One of the things that Iíve noticed are steady design improvements over the years as Trevor has taken ideas and suggestions from his owner base.

If I was to buy a new boat in the mid 40í size range, it would be the NP 45. Any design is a series of compromises. think the NP45 is the best design for my purposes of any boat in its size range at any price.

As you can tell, Iím a huge fan. If the NP45 fits your needs and plans, I donít think you could any better.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #29

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
As an owner of a NP45, Iíd also say the boat comes with everything you need; AC, generator, full electronics, awesome lighting, and the list goes on.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Six years ago when we did the NP45 video review, I was summarily impressed by both the boat and Trevor. Considering the boat we used in the video was hull number one (which I loved), I've since been on subsequent builds and he keeps improving things, typically based on owner feedback. In the price range, I don't think you can go wrong if you choose to have a new NP45 built.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:34 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I'd love to read more than just the chart, but can't find it there. Can you please link to it so we can go to the site.

Now we know it's US only. Don't know if entire or partial year. Assume it's revenue based. I wonder if it's new or new and used. Appears new and used to have Grand Banks that high. Just glad to see chart but want to go to the site to understand better.

What it clearly isn't is worldwide sales of new trawlers, nor do I think it is US sales of new Trawlers.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:21 AM   #32
Guru

The one thing i find interesting is the back log for most boat yards. I think most of the 2022 hulls are sold and folks are looking at 2023. The same with motor-homes and campers. motorhome inventory for 2022 is allocated so a new build would be 2023.
My only concern is are folks using cash on hand or borrowing. If the later we could see some boats for sale.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
The one thing i find interesting is the back log for most boat yards. I think most of the 2022 hulls are sold and folks are looking at 2023. The same with motor-homes and campers. motorhome inventory for 2022 is allocated so a new build would be 2023.
My only concern is are folks using cash on hand or borrowing. If the later we could see some boats for sale.
As a manufacturer, always the reminder, it's not a sale until it ships and payment is collected. All those orders for late 2022 and for 2023 can vaporize quickly if conditions change. In 2007, the 2008 order books were full and into 2009. I always laugh at new business people who tout the order cannot be cancelled. Well, when they say they are cancelling and not going to pay are you still going to build and ship it? People see the time moving out and jump in line and that's really all the 2023 bookings are today, people getting in line, saying they intend to buy, but things can always change.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #34
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As a manufacturer, always the reminder, it's not a sale until it ships and payment is collected. All those orders for late 2022 and for 2023 can vaporize quickly if conditions change. In 2007, the 2008 order books were full and into 2009. I always laugh at new business people who tout the order cannot be cancelled. Well, when they say they are cancelling and not going to pay are you still going to build and ship it? People see the time moving out and jump in line and that's really all the 2023 bookings are today, people getting in line, saying they intend to buy, but things can always change.
When you are making construction progress payments as the build proceeds that is harder to do. As is the case with Helmsman, at least.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
When you are making construction progress payments as the build proceeds that is harder to do. As is the case with Helmsman, at least.
Yeah, with Fleming you put 10% up and then get hit with the big balance less a little as the hull build starts. And its a contractual guarantee so it's not a refundable deposit!
Old 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
But the progress payments haven't proceeded on many of these. Certainly nothing but the initial on 2023 builds.

Also 10% should be destined for escrow until construction actually starts and during construction you have have ownership of the partially built boat.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:51 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:

The point i was trying to make is people seem to be enjoying life and having fun. Perhaps some of the deals wont go thru but who cares. At least they were trying to get started with a more enjoyable life and likely sh*t happens to derail there plans. What i like to see is folks trying. From what i can tell people are deciding to give some of these other lifestyles a try which is a good thing. Life is shorter then we think.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
The point i was trying to make is people seem to be enjoying life and having fun. Perhaps some of the deals wont go thru but who cares. At least they were trying to get started with a more enjoyable life and likely sh*t happens to derail there plans. What i like to see is folks trying. From what i can tell people are deciding to give some of these other lifestyles a try which is a good thing. Life is shorter then we think.
And my only point is that what goes up must come down. Right now, many are riding a painted pony. I hope for the best, but history says it can't continue indefinitely. I know builders having great years, but still quite worried. To show how fragile it is, when the pandemic first hit and the first major restrictions were put in, all builders I know got immediate calls and many got cancellations of planned boats and even boats being built. We moved ahead in line due to one going on what turned out to be a temporary hold. I know a small SF builder in Palm Beach County who had two out of three builds cancelled. Now a month or two later they couldn't meet all the demand.

We saw another unbelievable rise in house prices. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon (yes, we did too, but only a little). Slowly reality is setting in as seen by Zillow's disastrous attempt at buying and selling. The hope is that it's only a mild leveling and not 13 years ago repeated.

I have no idea what is coming or when. I remain either optimistically pessimistic or cautiously optimistic or hopefully pessimistic or somewhere in between.

Just don't put too much stock in "order books" as items can fall out of those books as fast as the go in. It's like boat shows. I've never known of one where those showing didn't declare it a success. I use to have sales forces report after shows in the industry I was in and the report was always "The line was very well received." Well, I waited and found out some of those lines weren't at all well received. It was like grandmother's who aren't about to tell their daughter, their baby isn't gorgeous.

Tags
north pacific yachts 45, np 45, npy 45