Veteran Member

City: Black Creek, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlord View Post
I’m a North Pacific 43 owner you can ask me about them
Thanks Woodlord
Hi Woodlord

Thank you in advance.
I have yet to go on a sea trial. How is the noise level when traveling? Tough question as it should be "compared to what" but just your thoughts on it.
Is the gelcoat any better/worse on a NP then some other boats? How often to wax and is yours holding up well or is yours in a boat shed?
The 2010 we looked at looked like it needed a good cut polish. I was a little surprised as my 06 bayliner looked better.
We also found crackes in the gelcoat on the flybridge seat pedestal mount. It was fairly large.
We also found the corian galley top had a large crack in at the sink area. Do you see any of these problems?
Have you seen any pitting on propshaft? I have heard some NP with issues related to bearing area swelling and pitting on shafts that were asian metal. I understand the newer NP have NA metal. I was told that by an owner that had to replace the shaft.
In general, how do you enjoy your NP? Would you purchase another?
Sorry for all the questions but you did offer!!

Cheers
Phil
Mitlenatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Reinspect the areas of water intrusion carefully. Get an estimate for repairing the areas.

You will want canvas to cover the pilot house windows for privacy. WINK WINK
yes, thank you. I noticed they had them on the pilot house windows when we looked at the boat in the marina. A very good idea.
I did find a porthole window that had been leaking and someone just smeared silicone all over it. Very poor job. water stain in the inside woodwork in the master. It needs to be removed and fixed properly.

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C’YA
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43 Pilot House 09
Hi Phil
The noise level on my NP is a lot quiter than my last Trawler which had 2 cat diesel with that said the floor is insulted its not bad my wife will watch the flat screen while underway.
Gel coat I don’t have any crazing or cracks around fly bridge floor but it is fiberglass and boats flex I have noticed a crack on the bottom of door rail and I’ve seen it on other NP also cracks around radar arch base which I had repaired professionally and he told me that the color of the boat was easy to match compared to white.
The fly bridge widows had alot of cracking in the polycarbonate but they look easy to replace and I will use some timted lexon to replace it with
I take out of water every spring and clean waxs and replce zinks I paint bottom every other year and have a diver clean bottom after the summer.
I’ve tried alot of different kinds of wax and they are not created equally and I buff and wax myself so here is how to get a year out of it use (Collinite no.845 Insulattor Wax ) made in USA get it online Amazon or EBay
Paste or liquid
No Cracks in Corian countertop
My shaft seems fine as far as pitting but I heard a couple of the older boats had a problem with that 2006 not mine 2009 but my cutless bearing is looking like its time to replace I have 2200 hours no vibration it looks like its wearing on one side I was told it was Ok last time out but better to be on cautious side
So as far as how we like it we love it the boat is user friendly everything is easy to get to and its cheap to operate 2 gallons an hour at 7 knots and I like the NP49 if I was to get another I hope I answered your question Happy Boating
Woodlord
woodlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #24
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
MIT. Looks like a 43 has been listed. I think it is in, your area. 2011. Have you already looked at it?
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Where is Dave?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
Guru

No posts since the 17th, must be on vacation..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
MIT. Looks like a 43 has been listed. I think it is in, your area. 2011. Have you already looked at it?
yes, its the 2010. Just an hour from us. We went and had a look at it. We liked it very much. Trying to get out on one as we have never been. Its also at the very top of our budget, maybe over. (I know, no such thing as a budget for a boat!)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitlenatch View Post
My wife and I had a look at a NP 43 for the first time and a few things came to mind. One was the drop down ceiling section just above the master bed. She was concerned she would hit her head on it getting up? I thought it was an odd question, but I'll ask anyway.
Yes, she probably will once. Maybe twice. Then like on any boat motor memory comes in and you won't again. I'm 6' 2" and my wife is 5'9". We do fine.

Quote:
Another is about how stable they are in the water. I noticed the one we looked at had static fins installed onto the hull. I guess this is a difficult question to answer, but are they stable in the water, with not having a wide beam at 12'7". I have never had a boat with a fly bridge so the added weight above the waterline would make the boat react differently then our low cruiser in rougher waters it would seem. Does the hull compesate for some of that with keel style centreline?
I think the boat is very stable unless you get into some sea. Then it will roll a bit like any other SD hull.

Quote:
We also found it a little ackward to steer from the pilot house. We found we had to raise the seat to its max to see (i'm 6'1") and then found I had to lean forward to reach the wheel. That would be uncomfortable on long trips or is it just me. We were only at the dock so maybe we don't actually need the seat that high, I'm not sure. Seemed easier to put my feet on the bottom of the wheel then hands on the top!
The captain's chair not only raises up and down, it also moves for and aft. The foot rest is also adjustable for height. I find it comfortable to steer once the chair is adjusted properly. Keep in mind that while under way, most of the time you will using the auto pilot when out in open water.

Quote:
Please keep in mind I have had no experience in piloting a trawler style vessel. I have been boating since I was 10, but only in cruisers, so I hope my questions are not to odd!

Cheers
No question is too odd. I asked a HUGE number of questions as I was looking to move from sail to power. The TF folks patiently answered them all.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #29
Guru

I wasn’t always patient!��
Old 10-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thank you Rebel, Woodlord, and dhays. I have one more that all or one of you might be able to throw at me. What HP do you all have and are you happy with it. I see there are two ratings, the 230 which is most common and the 380. Is the 230 enough? The one I looked says its can be upgraded to 380 with prop mod. I have not looked into this but was just wondering.
Thank you again, you have be so valuable with your insight and info as everyone else on this site.

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #31
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
My first thought is, there will be less demands on 380 when trying to get the same speed.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #32
Guru

Phil. Rogue has the 330hp engine. Coastal cruising the Canadian Coast, Gulf Islands, Desolation, the Broughtons, daily distances are short. I normally travel at 1250 rpm. If current is not helping will bump rpm, to 1400, 1600 to maintain 6-7 kts. Crossing the strait, or running Johnston, Cape Caution etc will run 1800-2000 rpm, just to get it over with. I run wot only to check fuel flow, top speed(give you an idea of how much fouling you might be carrying), and cooling. Staying cool at wot is a good indication that all is well. But I don’t think I need 330hp to accomplish the above. The 230hp owners seem to be happy. I think the first 49 came with 230hp. I think, if the bigger hp would allow a bigger diameter prop, by several inches, it might be a positive in slow speed maneuvering, but am not sure if that is the case. I would not let the hp rating be a deciding factor in a purchase. Nor would I, not consider a boat because it had more than 2k hrs. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Phil. Rogue has the 330hp engine. Coastal cruising the Canadian Coast, Gulf Islands, Desolation, the Broughtons, daily distances are short. I normally travel at 1250 rpm. If current is not helping will bump rpm, to 1400, 1600 to maintain 6-7 kts. Crossing the strait, or running Johnston, Cape Caution etc will run 1800-2000 rpm, just to get it over with. I run wot only to check fuel flow, top speed(give you an idea of how much fouling you might be carrying), and cooling. Staying cool at wot is a good indication that all is well. But I don’t think I need 330hp to accomplish the above. The 230hp owners seem to be happy. I think the first 49 came with 230hp. I think, if the bigger hp would allow a bigger diameter prop, by several inches, it might be a positive in slow speed maneuvering, but am not sure if that is the case. I would not let the hp rating be a deciding factor in a purchase. Nor would I, not consider a boat because it had more than 2k hrs. Good luck.
Would be interesting to see the gah readings with each engine with the same hull.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #34
Guru

The 330 shows 16 gph at WOT making 12 knots, on a good day.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #35
Guru

https://www.sbmar.com/docs/performan...M-91367%5d.pdf
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #36
Guru

The 330 below.
https://www.sbmar.com/docs/performan...M-91366%5d.pdf
Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #37
Guru

and at hull speed, what is the consumption for the 330?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Rebel
I have a 230 I’m happy with it and the fuel consumption
We were coming home from Everett last spring and we were past by another np43 and it was moving about 12 knots he must of had the 330 in it I wander what his fuel consumption was anyway a little more power could be helpful
Woodlord
Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #39
Guru

Old Dan. I guess I don’t know what the hull speed is? If you figure 7 kts, 3gph would be close, probably a little less. 6 knots though fuel burn less than 2 gph.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Phil
That last message was for you sorry Rebel
Woodlord