2017 North Pacific 45 Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm... just a guess here, but I think you could buy 2 1/2 NP45s for the cost of one KK50.

I’m sure someone who has been pricing a NP45 could give a ballpark.

Pretty close dhays.....

I think once you outfit the NP45 with a little more electronics that what are standard and an option or two you’re around $700k...

Interesting the jump to the NP49, now you’re talking $950k’ish (he says not having a quote but roughing it with Trevor).

That’s why I’m taking him up on the opportunity to see a NP49 and sea trial it. He maintains the boat is appreciably larger, more so than just a mere 4’ as one might jump to by just looking a model numbers (e.g. 49’ vs 45’) and the numbers support that.

Here are the comparisons NP45’ vs NP49’ from the brochures:

LOA: 45’10” vs 52’

LWL: 41’4” vs 46’10”

Beam: 13’8” vs 15’5”

Draft: 4’6” vs 4’10”

Dry Weight: 34,000# vs 48,000#

From all accounts the volume increase is appreciable going to the NP49 and maybe too much boat for what my needs are....as I said earlier, the NP45 livable space is perfectly adequate for me.

As Dave has mentioned earlier and I noticed walking thru the NP45, a larger cockpit than what the standard NP45 offers would be nice (and apparently there is an option for that), so me paying up to $250k more for essentially a larger engine room (maybe 4”-6” more headroom and 10” on each side of the engine) is probably not the most prudent expenditure of my kids inheritance.

Others who desire the extra volume throughout provided by the NP49 might have an entirely different sentiment and value judgement.

Now that I think about it, probably not a good idea to get on that NP49.....might fall in love with it (ha)

Yeah, that would make for much more interior volume. I like the design as well from what I’ve seen. Still, $250k would buy a lot of fuel for a NP45. I was thinking about $750k for the NP45, so $700k seems like a real bargain.

Does the NP product line have an upper valve on the fuel sight gauge(s). The one in the video I watched had one at the bottom and none at the top...

Does the NP product line have an upper valve on the fuel sight gauge(s). The one in the video I watched had one at the bottom and none at the top...

My 2010 NP43 only has a valve on the bottom of the sight tube. When I bought the boat in 2016 it was a recommendation by the surveyor to have a valve at the top and bottom. Insurance company didn’t care.

I can’t seal to recent North Pacific builds. My guess would be that they have two valves now, but I don’t know.

The tubing used for the sight gauges is re-enforced flexible tubing which, is not really see-through. It would be an easy fix though. The ridiculous tubing that they used for the tank sight gauges is about the only thing on the boat that I'm unhappy with.

Last year I put 1300 nm on her cruising the San Juans, Gulf Islands from Seattle up to Desolation Sound. I put about 360 hours on the engine and about 465 hours on the genset with no problems what-so-ever! Not bad for a new boat and a guy who has never ventured outside of the San Francisco Bay and Delta. I had a great time and I'm not done with the PNW yet. I left her up the Fraser River in BC for the winter.

At the end of the cruising season I added a water maker and a freezer and plan to continue my adventure of the Pacific North West in 2019. I also plan on converting the two 150 gallon water tanks to fuel giving me 700 gallons and adding a couple of bladder water tanks under the floor in the hall and master stateroom before I head south to Redwood City my home town. I really have mixed emotions about leaving the PNW. I have a feeling that when the time comes to head South I may go North. Who knows what will happen at the end of the next cruising season.

Cheers!

Why convert the water tanks?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom