Tollycraft owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vancouvertechie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
He'e Nalu
Vessel Make
44' Tollycraft CPMY
Soooo...

Where do I start, we are new Tollycraft owners and during our first and second trips in the Tolly we experienced not so nice experience's with other Tolly owners.

I have to be honest, our Tolly needs some work on the outside and our main focus was to use it. Not it being a marina queen.

We are not retired, we have 5 children and one in college and we bought a Tolly to explore more of the San Juan Islands. But what I am learning from the last two trips is to avoid other Tolly owners and feel like we get snubbed.

Oh well.

VT

Attachments

• 20220714_194309.jpg
    20220714_194309.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 48
Hi VT,

Sorry to hear that. I don't think it has anything to do with the appearance of your boat. We've experienced a mixed bag when coming across other Tolly owners. Some are super friendly and outgoing, others despite my best efforts to strike up a conversation couldn't be bothered giving me the time of day.

I'm going to try not to venture into rant territory here, but I will say my wife and I have noticed the last couple years a lack of respect and friendliness in general on the water. A good example was just the other day we were anchored out in Gig Harbor and saw a big Sea Ray express struggling to get onto the city dock in some gusty afternoon winds. The dock was absolutely full of boats and people, nobody seemed to notice or care. I jumped in the dinghy, fired up, and motored over there to catch a line before anyone from the dock bothered a second glance. One other person joined me in helping from way up at the head of the dock. Turns out they had one engine down and the fact that they were getting as close as they were impressed the heck out of me.

If you ever find yourself around Des Moines, Gig Harbor, Tacoma, or Seattle - send me a message. I'd be happy to meet up and hopefully give you an antidote to your other Tolly owner experiences.

WOW!
Really sorry to hear this.
We've had 2 Tolly's and are always happy to chat with other owners.
We have also met quite a few friends through the Tollycraft Boating Club and attending the events. (Mostly the Annual Rendezvous in Roche).

If you ever see us out and about, PLEASE do not hesitate to come by and say hello!

Cheers!

Sorry to hear that. I will tell that is the opposite of what I have experienced, although small interaction due to where we live. The Tollycraft Club, from my experience, are a very accepting and welcoming group of people. I will give you and example. In the fall of 2020 they had and impromptu get together (no Rendezvous that year), due to covid, in Anacortes. It was my wife’s 60th birthday and because of covid we couldn’t really go anywhere. So we drove to the get together to meet other Tolly owners. We were new to the group. I had help from the organizer that pick up a birthday cake for me so I could surprise my wife. I had never met any of the group members prior to this interaction.

We had a great time and everyone was so nice and welcoming.

We plan on hauling our 26 to their Rendezvous, hopefully next year.

I think you should join the Tollycraft Club and start going to their events and see if your experience continues. I really believe you will surprised and will be very welcomed.

Last edited:
Been looking really hard at the Tolly for when we purchase our liveaboard in a couple years. It looks lije it can handle the open ocean crossing to the Bahamas very well compared to the rounded hulls like a carver. Yall would know better than I.

Vantech.

Don't get discouraged and write off all of us Tollycraft Owners as snobs. The opposite is more like it, at least in my experience.

Just last week in Pender Harbour I was astonished to see 3, 57' Tollycrafts. The other 2 were American, one on the hook the other at the Seattle Yacht Club outstation. The owner of the anchored one stopped by for a visit just at breakfast time. We chatted briefly while my eggs got cold and then agreed to meet up later.

I went by their boat 2 times by tender during the day and could not connect with them. Oh well, next time. The other boat owners at the Government Dock were welcoming and engaging. We had a great time.

This weekend we will be in False Creek, near Science World with the 4 Grandkids (12-18 years old) on both Fri. and Sat. night. Sat. at 10:00pm in English Bay are the fireworks (provided by the Spanish team) which will likely be a great show. We will leave FC at about 7 and anchor close to shore on the FC side of the show. Once it is over back to FC we go quickly, to avoid the rush.

Sunday, around midday we leave for our Home Port in Pt. Moody.

If you have the time this weekend and/or the desire to give it another chance, we will welcome you aboard for at least a beverage, a talk and likely a mutually rewarding friendship. We will watch for you. Try me on 16.

It's your call.

Soooo...

Where do I start, we are new Tollycraft owners and during our first and second trips in the Tolly we experienced not so nice experience's with other Tolly owners.

I have to be honest, our Tolly needs some work on the outside and our main focus was to use it. Not it being a marina queen.

We are not retired, we have 5 children and one in college and we bought a Tolly to explore more of the San Juan Islands. But what I am learning from the last two trips is to avoid other Tolly owners and feel like we get snubbed.

Oh well.

VT

Howdy VT! We're friendly. On or off our Tolly! Have found many fun folks on the water, some not so fun and some real bummers. Anyway... Don't think it's the Tolly-boat that gave you not too cool people.

Best luck with your Tolly! - Art and Linda

I've always had cordial relations with all other boats and their owners, even if they were never like my boat. ... Spend time with the friendly folks.

Attachments

• Pittsburg also.jpg
    Pittsburg also.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
VT, Maybe you were unlucky. Stay open to socializing, don`t let others mess it up for you,there will be friendly people.
We enjoy meeting other boats,esp with Halvorsen/Island Gypsy connections like ours.
Can be an area thing. We moved off Sydney Harbor(so many a/holes).20 Nm north to Broken Bay/Hawkesbury,friendlier courteous boaters.
On our marina, a boat comes in,we go to their slip, offer to take a line if required. We`re lucky,rustic marina, but nice people.

Thank you everyone and I will try to keep an open mind. We were in Victoria for Canada day and met a wonderful couple in a pocket cruiser next to us. We were there for 6 days with our 2 girls and lucky enough to have an adult night out at the Tapas place at Trounce alley.

The couple mentioned that they lost out on 2 Tolly's and they were looking at another one in Seattle. We had them aboard and showed some of the work we did and what still needed to be done.

Anyway we are becoming good friends and they made an offer on the Tolly the next day and it was accepted. We are excited for them and their new adventure.

For me, life is to short and this pandemic has brought out some good and bad in society. Working in healthcare, I have seen the impact.

I hope we will see you all on the water.

VT

Sorry to hear that, I find that many boat owners in the Marinas just do not want to say hello, morning or etc.

Hope to meet you on the water some day.

Sorry to hear that, I find that many boat owners in the Marinas just do not want to say hello, morning or etc.

Hope to meet you on the water some day.

Yep.. some say hi back and some ignore me. But maybe they are having a bad boat day or are thinking heavily.... :)

But do not give up hope yet on humanity or other Tolly's... at least not yet.

Back
Top Bottom