Old 03-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Pay close attention. The price included work done on both engines. A lot of new marinization parts and professional supervision while they were away on other travels. It is very hard to tell what they would have paid just to have the engine overhauled.

My guess is the overhaul was $30,000 and then they spent another $30,000 upgradinG all the engine accessories on both engines to new.

In the end it appears that for $60,000 tHey have the equivalent of two newish 3208’s.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #22

City: Valdese, NC
Vessel Name: Dreamboat Annie
Vessel Model: SeaRay 390 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
What kind of mistake are you concerned about making?
Buying the wrong boat.
m20e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e View Post
Buying the wrong boat.
We have done that several times, you keep it for a while and then try another one. Right now we are on #24.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have done that several times, you keep it for a while and then try another one. Right now we are on #24.
At 73 I don't have time to go thru 24 boats lol.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:33 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintala View Post
Before you buy the boat, go watch this episode of Searching for C-Shels:

https://youtu.be/gtAhRzO0WGs
OP - Take heed of this video's portion... regarding C-Shell's diesel engines.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:45 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e View Post
At 73 I don't have time to go thru 24 boats lol.
We got married at 18 and bought our first boat shortly after. It has been a wonderful journey and not over yet…
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:18 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I was astounded by the cost. I would have guessed about $30K.

I guessed $32k.

Really glad I have the time, skills, tools, and gear to do that kind of work myself. I'd still pay for the machine work, but the tear down, removal, install, and re-assembly is well within my skill set and something I have the spare time to do. I also hope I never have to... Their experience with head gaskets is precisely why I did all 4 of mine a couple of years ago.

The rusty cylinder they found is something I am addressing this Winter on my boat with a hot fresh water flush system. It cannot fix a leaking after cooler, but it will prevent condensation from dripping into cylinder 6 after shut down in cool sea water and should make my engine anodes last much longer.

Speaking of machine work, it is shockingly reasonable around here in NH. I think I paid $1300 a pair for 3208 head renewal: new valves and guides where needed, magnaflux, surface machining, and everything else tested and inspected. They said my springs were fine. The work was completed in less than a week too. I paid $2000 for injection pump disassembly, inspection, reseal and test. That took weeks though, my guy for that is super busy.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #28

City: Langhorne
Vessel Name: Quiet Storm
Vessel Model: Nordlund 61
This is exactly what I have been trying to bring to peoples attention. I feel like I have been beating a dead horse. I hope you all were listening to the video. They "found a small leak in the after cooler" . This is the source of all there problems. This could have been prevented by a regular after cooler disassembling , cleaning, and pressure testing. The blown head gasket are the result of water intrusion , not the cause.

At 75k you have a dam nice sports car in the bilge. In twins 2 cars. Treat them as such and do you diligence and do regular sea water cooling cleaning on a regular basis. This is a common problem in all brands of after cooled engines. If the after cooler leaks you get water into the air intake of the engine. This is the result, a destroyed engine at 3000 hours.

My boat is new to me. An 85 with 2007 engines 1500 - 2000 ish hours I am doing a seawater cooling service, myself. 3200 in charges to ultrasonic coolers, 1150 in gaskets, 1400 in antifreeze. This is for a twin engine setup for a 660 qsm 11. Pluss some metaigneous parts. A far cry from new engine costs.

Take away from this video for anyone with an aftercooled engine. Do your raw water inspection and service on a regular basis. Do not use engine hours. Time is the enemy here. The water in the engine corrodes these parts 24/7 Fresh water flushing slows the process, but only slows it.

If you don't know when it was done last: Just do it. If you haven't done it for a while: just do it. If the boat is new to you , Just do it.

Don't belive me go to smar.com and look up aftercooler disasters.
Greg QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #29

Albin 36

Here is another boat I'm looking at but I must say I have questions about the fuel burn at about 7 KTS. It does have a fresh engine. Thanks for all your input
Old 03-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #30

Sorry left off the link
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...awler-8712559/
Old 03-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #31

City: Langhorne
Vessel Name: Quiet Storm
Vessel Model: Nordlund 61
450 engine awesome. Will have a low fuel burn. Had 2 in a sf. Have aftercooler serviced.
Nice looking condition. With new engine and 500 hrs, I would check out. Almost all diesel boats will use the same fuel burn at 7knts. Overall conditional and engine age would be my concerns. Fuel burn at 7k is irreverent. You will not find huge differences in consumption at that speed. I have 2 massive 670hp qsm ll. At 7k barely 3 gal an hour. That is with twins total .
The engine is worth alone 45-50K before installation. Would buy anyday over a 3208.
Greg QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #32
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I agree with Greg above. An 8.3 L Cummins is a bit unusual but great for wanting to mostly go slow, but occasionally get up to the low teens.

With a single, I would definitely want a bow thruster. A stern thruster would be nice but not essential.

That aft cockpit looks especially nice.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:35 PM   #33

I'm beginning to get interested. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 45
[QUOTE=Greg QS;1158596]This is exactly what I have been trying to bring to peoples attention. I feel like I have been beating a dead horse. I hope you all were listening to the video. They "found a small leak in the after cooler" . This is the source of all there problems. This could have been prevented by a regular after cooler disassembling , cleaning, and pressure testing. The blown head gasket are the result of water intrusion , not the cause.

Too right. And before any widespread panic arises about these engines, this is not the first major failure on the C Shels Tolly. Earlier in the series there was a generator failure - and when I say failure I mean smoke coming from the lazerette. The water pump seized because of failed bearings and seals. That might raise some eyebrows about the regularity of maintenance on that vessel.

I have a similar boat and the same engines and generator: hence my interest.

But aftercoolers, heat exchangers, oil coolers, and raw water pumps will bite you in the ass if you ignore them.

The only thing I would add to the wisdom of the post that I have quoted is that regular fluid sampling is a relatively inexpensive early warning system.
Inbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote