Greenline 40: General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,
If you are in Korkula on the GL 40 I’ll be please to invite you in a cafe to talk about GL.
I’ve try to PM you but ScottC doesn’t appear in the list on my IPhone.
Thx
Pierre
Pierre, you PM him by clicking on his name in any of his posts in the left hand column where his avatar is, then select 'send a private message to' from the drop-down list under his name...

PS. All this is much easier done on say a laptop than iPhone, because the screen is so small. However, other folk manage on their phones. I try to avoid doing much on websites on my phone.

Last edited:
@scottc I cannot send a PM because I’m a newly registered member. I was on this forum some years ago, but it didn’t find my account (or I forgot) so I re-signed up.

If you might be so kind, I have questions on the GL33. I think if you PM me I can reply. I thank you in advance and apologize for clutter here.

@scottc
If you might be so kind, I have questions on the GL33. I think if you PM me I can reply. I thank you in advance and apologize for clutter here.
Hi Pprior. I sent you a PM just now. Hope it works on your end.

It did and posting this just to thank @ScottC publicly for being such a gracious and helpful person to someone learning about Greenline. Truly a credit this this forum, many thanks again.

It did and posting this just to thank @ScottC publicly for being such a gracious and helpful person to someone learning about Greenline. Truly a credit this this forum, many thanks again.

Don't want to intrude, but are you in Europe ? I visited GL at the BOOT fair in Dusseldorf, spoke at length with them and will go and visit the factory in Slovenia quite soon.
They do have a couple of boats lying in Porto Roz, Slovenia and have a service center in Lefkas, Greece. If you need a contact within GL I can forward you his contact details, he will be more than happy to help you.

Sorry no I'm in USA (Florida).

Ok, no problem, just tried to help. If you ever make it to Europe, let me know, I will get you in contact with the right people. And no, I am not invested in GL, I have a Defever. :socool:

New to site.
Thinking about buyin a Greenline 40 hybrid.
Can anyone tell me how they handle the waves and does she sits on anchor. Any exssive rolling….

Welcome aboard, fakfej.
I cannot comment about how the GL40 handles on waves. But, since the bottom and fin design are about the same as on the GL33, I suspect it will behave similarly at anchor to my GL33. Neither boat has a keel. My GL33 will rock & roll at the dock or at anchor in certain conditions. More so than any motorboat with any type of keel. I carry and use Davis "rocker stoppers" which seem to tame the motion noticeably.

Thank you scott

I’m need to get used to this website. I apparently even singed up wrong as my name does not appear in post.
Rick
Again thanks. If anyone has comments on the Greenline 40 hybrid as far as driving / handling general seaworthyness I would appreciate the feedback
Thanks again all
Rick

Greenline 40

Hi Rick. We’ve owned a GL 39 Hybrid since 2019. Greenlines in general are designed to be strong/light based on their construction methods. While they are all certified Category B, you will likely notice more boat movement than a heavy displacement boat. Our 39 does well in waves but will get rocked sideways if they are crossways to the boat. This is more so at slower speeds, higher speeds result in some “form stability” in the hull from above displacement speeds. (Think about how the ride stabilizes when the boat is on a plane.) As for anchoring, most 33, 40 and 48’s have the side bow anchor configuration. I have heard owners comment that they tend to wander more at anchor as a result and also getting the correct anchor (for their cruising area) that fits in the side position can sometimes be challenging. GL offers a factory option for the straight bow anchor position for 40’s and 48’s. I would go that route if I were ordering a new build. Note that will add some LOA. 39 and 45’s are standard straight bow configured. Hope that helps!

Yes thank you! We previously had a cat hull. Loved the stability at rest and speed. I wondered about the anchor position. When I asked the salesman he just said it was to make it look like a bigger ship! But absolutely thouhjtvwe would sway at anchor a lot! He did say I could switch to center bow anchor! But felt it wasn’t important. Two issues I think about
First here in Florida I imagine we would be running air most of time at night.How long will battery hold out!
Since the engine are under salon how noisy does it get. I took a short test ride but mostly on electric. When I mentioned noise of diesel’s. I was to
D most put down a carpet to help reduce noise!
Well thank you for any personal knowledge you may wish to share. Good or bad!
I love the design of the boat being a single floor open model . Never really liked walking down into the hull

Hi Rick- If you are in Florida, you probably want to get the "tropical air" package which adds at least one AC unit. Because of all the glass and the sunroofs, these boats can heat up. We had our boat on the East Coast (Annapolis and north) for a couple of seasons before we shipped her out to the Pacific Northwest. You will definitely want additional batteries. The AC units are by far the biggest battery users. When we were on a mooring, we could usually get by on one AC unit running and our one battery but needed to do a "harbor spin" the next day to recharge. The LiPo batteries only recharge under diesel load not at idle, however, they do recharge pretty quickly (1 to 1.5 hours.) On a 40, you'll have two LiPo batteries as standard (one for each engine.) I would likely opt for additional batteries for more flexibility at anchor. Finally, if you haven't already you might want to join the Greenline Yachts Owners Group on Facebook. There are some pretty active owners there with lots of insights on their Greenlines. There are a bunch of GL40 owners.

As for engine noise, they are reasonably quiet for a powerboat. I am not sure how much difference a carpet will make. I would definitely sea trial again with the diesels running to gauge the noise level for yourself.

Jon

Last edited:
I hope the boat you are looking at has cocoons around the engines. That helps a lot with noise. When it was time for new carpets for my boat, I put 1/2" dense rubber padding under the carpet at the helm to make it more comfortable for standing at the helm for hours. The padding I used is the same type of padding used on concrete floors at, say, cashier desks in a Home Depot or the like. I liked the "comfort" results so much I decided to put this same rubber padding under the carpet for the entire salon. I did not do it for noise reasons, as the boat was reasonably quiet on diesel already - but wow - what a difference it made! We can run at cruising speed on diesel and hold a low-voice conversation without any problem.

I hope the boat you are looking at has cocoons around the engines. That helps a lot with noise. When it was time for new carpets for my boat, I put 1/2" dense rubber padding under the carpet at the helm to make it more comfortable for standing at the helm for hours. The padding I used is the same type of padding used on concrete floors at, say, cashier desks in a Home Depot or the like. I liked the "comfort" results so much I decided to put this same rubber padding under the carpet for the entire salon. I did not do it for noise reasons, as the boat was reasonably quiet on diesel already - but wow - what a difference it made! We can run at cruising speed on diesel and hold a low-voice conversation without any problem.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for sharing that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom