Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #21
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
Thank you!
I am excited to have her close to me to start working on things! Hopefully, she will arrive before the holidays. She's the New Year's present to me...

Hope all is going well with your updates and restorations, Boom23!


I agree with you, that with side door access to the deck, bow & stern thrusters and the YachtController the GL40 could be handled alone (except, perhaps, docking in severe weather in tight quarters...as it has lots of area to catch the wind).


On occasion, I handle my GL33 alone with just bow & stern thrusters on a remote control hanging around my neck. The boat is short enough that I can leave the helm and get to where I need to on deck pretty quickly. I have seen a GL40 with a "mini-helm", aft, in the cockpit.


I, too, prefer the "retro-modern" lines of the GL33 and GL40. Seeing the new models, however, I wonder how much longer GL will manufacture them.


I came across the picture below, which I found a bit intriguing...
Attached Thumbnails
Pict0043a.jpg  
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #22
Member
 
City: Huntington Beach
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
The boat in your picture looks like a much older Greenline 33/40! Very classic lines.

I am enjoying the GL40 very much! I was moored in Catalina, and I received compliments on the boat looks from a handful of people. This is the first time it has happened to me.

I have a very long list of upgrades/fixes. The previous owner was not very attentive and his work was very sloppy at best. Fortunately, the engines are Ok and under full warranty until end of 2022.

One of my first improvements was to remove the 100 gal grey water tank. It was taking up a large portion of the engine room, and was blocking access to the prop shafts, fresh water pump and water heater. I was able to remove the tank, and replumb the grey water hoses without adding any new thru holes. The engine room is much roomier and cleaner now.

I also removed an A/C unit that the previous owner added in the galley space used for trash. I never run A/C in California, and I needed a trash area. I will be selling the removed A/C unit soon.

I am now in the process of replacing the Microwave with a Convection oven. I am also waiting on Lithium batteries to replace the dead AGM house batteries. Like I said, the list is long...

Overall, I like the boat. She rides smoothly and flat. I love the livability of the one level salon/galley/cockpit area with the large windows and sunroof. The staterooms are just the right size, and have plenty of storage.

Life is good! Well, except for the Covid situation...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Hope all is going well with your updates and restorations, Boom23!


I agree with you, that with side door access to the deck, bow & stern thrusters and the YachtController the GL40 could be handled alone (except, perhaps, docking in severe weather in tight quarters...as it has lots of area to catch the wind).


On occasion, I handle my GL33 alone with just bow & stern thrusters on a remote control hanging around my neck. The boat is short enough that I can leave the helm and get to where I need to on deck pretty quickly. I have seen a GL40 with a "mini-helm", aft, in the cockpit.


I, too, prefer the "retro-modern" lines of the GL33 and GL40. Seeing the new models, however, I wonder how much longer GL will manufacture them.


I came across the picture below, which I found a bit intriguing...
__________________

Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #23
Member
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 9
Buying new or used

I’m just curious as to how you all feel about buying new versus used Greenline boats? It’s always been presented to me that buying “new” gets you exactly the boat you want and will be under warranty for a couple years. However most things that go wrong with a boat are discovered in the first few years, and biggest depreciation also happens in that same time period. Buying “used” means someone else, hopefully, went thru the “beta” period of getting the boat’s quirks ironed out and you’re getting essentially the same boat for a lot less money. Flip side is someone wanted to sell that boat, so maybe there’s something inherently wrong with it. I have no first hand knowledge of any of this. This is just what boater friends of mine have been telling me.

But I’m curious what you guys think? Especially when it comes to Greenline boats.
DDevlinJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #24
Member
 
City: Charleston Sc
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
I have always been someone who buys used. Cars, boats, etc. The thing is there are virtually no used Greenlines on the market right now so you may not have a choice.
gt7834a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:49 AM   #25
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
Hi DDevlinJr,

For a diesel-only Greenline, I would say that the "used or new" considerations are the same as for any other fiberglass diesel boat.

For a hybrid Greenline, however, there are a few additional things you need to build into the "used or new" thought process:

1) For a used Greenline, you will want to take extra care to make sure the 48v hybrid battery has never been abused. This means a battery expert should be consulted to examine it. Load test, individual cell measurement, assess balancing accuracy of the BMS (battery management system), etc. If the previous owner ever let the battery fall below ~43.5 volts, or worse, 42v, where the battery shut down and had to be "revived", then the performance of the battery and remaining life will have likely been compromised. If there is one cell (of the 13 in the battery pack) that is "weak" and not pulling its share (not common!), then the battery pack is NOT to be used. It will need to be rebuilt (i.e. replace one cell - which is typically not the recommended way to go) or replace the entire battery pack ($$,$$$).

2) If looking at a GL33 or GL40 hybrid built ~2015 or before, then there is something you also will want to check about the electric motor. I won't go into that detail here, but you (or anyone considering one of these GL's) can PM me and I will advise what you need to check for.

3) If buying a used hybrid GL, you will want to understand how good the support network is in your area. If there's a dealer reasonably near by, great. If not, but a GL dealer was involved in the resale of the boat, this can still be a plus. If there are no dealers near by and the boat is out of warranty, you might want to interview the yard the previous owner used for service/maintenance/repair. Hybrids are complicated, compared to diesel-only boats. Don't let a sales person lead you to believe otherwise. This is not necessarily bad, but you have to be willing to go the extra mile to understand and appreciate how your hybrid system works. Same goes for the boat yard you may need to rely on for support.

Hope you will find my thoughts of some use. Good luck with your search!
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
Member
 
City: Huntington Beach
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 9
I paid less than half of the new boat price for my diesel-only 2018 Greenline 40. I can fix a LOT of things with that money I saved...

Just get a good boat and engine surveyor, and you should be fine. Boats depreciate a lot during the first few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevlinJr View Post
I’m just curious as to how you all feel about buying new versus used Greenline boats? It’s always been presented to me that buying “new” gets you exactly the boat you want and will be under warranty for a couple years. However most things that go wrong with a boat are discovered in the first few years, and biggest depreciation also happens in that same time period. Buying “used” means someone else, hopefully, went thru the “beta” period of getting the boat’s quirks ironed out and you’re getting essentially the same boat for a lot less money. Flip side is someone wanted to sell that boat, so maybe there’s something inherently wrong with it. I have no first hand knowledge of any of this. This is just what boater friends of mine have been telling me.

But I’m curious what you guys think? Especially when it comes to Greenline boats.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #27
Member
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 9
9 knots in electric mode on the open sea!! I couldn’t believe it. Decided to switch back to Electrics while out on the Pacific Ocean. Decided to open her up. To my shock and surprise, I got her up to 9 knots, heading into the wind! Blown away.
DDevlinJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #28
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
I may have missed one of your posts somewhere, DDevlinJr. Which GL did you end up buying?? I will guess GL40, because this post is in the GL40 thread...


9 knots in electric mode sounds fantastic. Amazing, actually. Almost too good to be true. I assume you're reading SOG off your plotter/gps? When you see this astounding performance again, it might be interesting to turn 180 degrees to see if you get a different SOG number. The few times I've encountered too-good-to-be-true speeds while running in electric mode, it turned out to be due to current/tidal current. Of course, if the current's going my way, it's still wonderful ;-)
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #29
Member
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
I may have missed one of your posts somewhere, DDevlinJr. Which GL did you end up buying?? I will guess GL40, because this post is in the GL40 thread...


9 knots in electric mode sounds fantastic. Amazing, actually. Almost too good to be true. I assume you're reading SOG off your plotter/gps? When you see this astounding performance again, it might be interesting to turn 180 degrees to see if you get a different SOG number. The few times I've encountered too-good-to-be-true speeds while running in electric mode, it turned out to be due to current/tidal current. Of course, if the current's going my way, it's still wonderful ;-)


You’re correct, it hasn’t consistently been that high, but it has been consistently above 8 knots, and in the right conditions up to 9, so I’ve been blown away. Of course this is full throttle. And yes, I ended up picking up a Greenline 40. I love it. Now this particular boat does have an extra lithium battery, but I don’t know if that’s what’s affecting the speed. I’ll keep monitoring. But one big surprise for me is how often I’m able to use the Electric Engines in the open sea (in the right sea conditions). When I bought the boat, I had resigned myself to just being able to use Electrics in the harbor. But I’m often using Electrics in calmer seas and, man, talk about serenity! I just love it. I tend to do close to an hour on Electrics, then switch back to diesels. Then after just an hour of diesel use, my battery is nearly back to full, especially on sunny days.
DDevlinJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #30
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevlinJr View Post
You’re correct, it hasn’t consistently been that high, but it has been consistently above 8 knots, and in the right conditions up to 9, so I’ve been blown away. Of course this is full throttle. And yes, I ended up picking up a Greenline 40. I love it. Now this particular boat does have an extra lithium battery, but I don’t know if that’s what’s affecting the speed. I’ll keep monitoring. But one big surprise for me is how often I’m able to use the Electric Engines in the open sea (in the right sea conditions). When I bought the boat, I had resigned myself to just being able to use Electrics in the harbor. But I’m often using Electrics in calmer seas and, man, talk about serenity! I just love it. I tend to do close to an hour on Electrics, then switch back to diesels. Then after just an hour of diesel use, my battery is nearly back to full, especially on sunny days.

Congrats on the GL40 Purchase!
The extra battery will not have any effect on speed, but it will on duration.
The speed you are experiencing is truly amazing. Enjoy it!
I have seen a fair amount of discussion over the years over optimal props for boats such as ours. At least on the GL33, the manufacturer had to strike a compromise between optimizing performance for diesel only (delivered with 4 blade prop) and hybrid (delivered with 5 blade prop). I wonder if you possibly have non-standard props that are fully optimized for electric only operation (at some expense to the diesel performance)??? Just a wild guess. Might be interesting to compare your prop specs to what the factory is delivering with hybrid GL40's today.
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #31
Member
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 9
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	116467
DDevlinJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #32
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 791
Thumbs up Happiness!

:-)
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #33
Member
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 9
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	116728
DDevlinJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member
 
City: ri
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 60
Any idea of how long you can run at 8kts. I don't know if there is linear or non linear equation on range with speed vs. time. E.g., you can run 8 hours at 4kts, but only 2 hours at 8kts? I know as you approach hull speed you are using more energy to get past it, but up to about 90% of hull speed, I would expect close to linear? Hull speed on GL 40 is about 8.2 kts.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #35
Newbie
 
City: New York
Vessel Model: Greenline 40
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1
On my Boat the the max speed with electric motors is 7kts, at this speed the motors are consuming 170 amps from the batteries. so the run time is very short.
Normal speed with solar producing 1.2 kwh is about 3kts.
Roberts0353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #36
Member
 
City: Monterey Bay
Vessel Name: Swan Song
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid '14
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts0353 View Post
On my Boat the the max speed with electric motors is 7kts, at this speed the motors are consuming 170 amps from the batteries. so the run time is very short.
Normal speed with solar producing 1.2 kwh is about 3kts.

That's right in line with GL 40 specs of max of 6.9kts electic, consuming about 8.5kW each motor in your case - which are 10kW max, I believe. My '14 GL 33's elect. motor with the VW 165 HP diesel is rated 7 kW, and I get about 5kts max in still water, drawing ~120A-6kW..

No way a 40 is going to get near to hull speed of 8.4kts OTG with electric only without substantial current with it.
__________________

PeterB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×