Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Greenline 33 (non-hybrid)

Has anyone had experience with the Greenline 33?

I'm interested in its hull, specifically the shallow draft, the semi tunnel protected prop, and the rigid fins placed well aft.

Shallow draft appeals to me for sneaking into thin water, tunnel props don't make the stern squat as low (or the bow rise so high) when extra power is applied, and those fins are the only ones I've seen placed so far aft.

The smallest engine seems to be 170hp, which seems kind of big...not much room in the engine 'compartment' and having a 50hp or 60hp option would make it easier to work on and extend the range significantly, or free up more diesel for heating in cold climates, etc.

My ballpark guess is that a 60hp engine would get a gallon or less per hour at 7 knots and be able to cruise easily at 10 knots. That's plenty fast enough for me.

https://www.greenlinehybrid.si/yacht/greenline-33/

Photo of fins:
Attached Thumbnails
greenline33_fins.jpg  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

I sea trial this boat about 2 hours when boat come market, here is the smallest diesel VW 75 Hp diesel and about 7kN speed and fuel consuptions is gal/7.6 nm.

I think boat is build OK but it is not heavy build, the boat full of interesting and nice solutions inerior.

the boat of seaworthiness is CE-B. Experimenting with sea trial was only about 3 feet waves, so my experience is slim.

CE-B class craft survive theoretically signifying an average wave of 13 feet and bigest wave is 26 feet, but i thin it is not good idea...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
One of the least informative advert sets of pics:https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...=0&pss=Premium
Greenline do like to do things differently. To what end I`m not sure.
However, the 2 engines driving the electric motors on the 40 are 150bhp VW engines. Not sure that helps,but Greenline does/did have access to lower power engines.
Why not just run the engine at lower speed for lower output?
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:05 AM   #4
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think the OP was looking for a smaller engine to provide more space in the engine room
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Guru

Hi,

You can look rewiew and video (VW 75hp max 10 kn)...

https://youtu.be/3xrha-qMJ-8

http://www.flexyachts.nl/media/3698/...orboat-web.pdf
(fuel consuptions UK gallon)

http://www.flexyachts.nl/media/3695/...oats-2-web.pdf

http://www.flexyachts.nl/media/3692/...oats-1-web.pdf (fuel consuptions is UK gallon)

NBs
Old 09-15-2018, 03:07 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I think the OP was looking for a smaller engine to provide more space in the engine room
Maybe, but VW marine 75 Hp and 165Hp is same block 5 cylinder, these options were on sale...

This 2016 new launch Delphia voyage is maybe intresting boat it is bosible fitting single 50 Hp diesel... and price is very good vs boat sitze...
https://uk.boats.com/reviews/delphia.../#.W5zEW5VRdMs

NBs
Old 09-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
Interesting ( for me at least ) the way the have the beds in the forward cabin. They pivot so they can be 2 signles in v-berth fashion, or swung together for an island berth. That's really clever.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Guru

Thanks for the information and links

Nice to know 75hp is an option. Fuel stops are few and far between where we live and there is much to explore off the well beaten path of the Inside Passage.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
No sea trial, but have been on a couple Greenlines at the dock. As noted, they are lighter build boats, which is common for the newer express cruisers and similar class boats.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Thanks for the information and links

Nice to know 75hp is an option. Fuel stops are few and far between where we live and there is much to explore off the well beaten path of the Inside Passage.
Murray
Conceptually, range is where the Seapiper shines. But so does your Sundowner with an extra 50 gallon or so tote onboard. Don't Klemtu and Hartley Bay provide the fuel stops you need?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Murray
Conceptually, range is where the Seapiper shines. But so does your Sundowner with an extra 50 gallon or so tote onboard. Don't Klemtu and Hartley Bay provide the fuel stops you need?
The PO of our boat put in an extra 40 gallon tank, so we are able to wander a bit.

Last summer we went from Kitimat to Pruth Bay on Calvert Island, then went back up to Shearwater before refuelling. On our way north from Shearwater we hugged the mainland shore exploring inlets (except for Gardner) missing both Klemtu and Hartley Bay, but got home with a good reserve.

I like the Seapiper, but my co-captain doesn't feel the same way.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
Guru

I know this is tangential (euphemism for drift) but why do Greenline turn a pair of VW diesels into electricity producers for electric motors rather than just turn shafts with them? I suppose it`s to power the electric system when the built in solar panels can`t, but if you are going to put 300hp of diesel in a lightish 40ft SD boat, isn`t that enough? Are they just saluting electric power for the sake of being Green(line)?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I know this is tangential (euphemism for drift) but why do Greenline turn a pair of VW diesels into electricity producers for electric motors rather than just turn shafts with them? I suppose it`s to power the electric system when the built in solar panels can`t, but if you are going to put 300hp of diesel in a lightish 40ft SD boat, isn`t that enough? Are they just saluting electric power for the sake of being Green(line)?
Dude!

We're discussing the non-hybrid version here and the 33 is a single engine boat
Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Dude! We're discussing the non-hybrid version here and the 33 is a single
That`s why I said it was drift. Oh well,I figured there would be interest in renewable energy in a Greenline context, but there`s not. Hope you, or Greenline,find a more appropriate conventional engine,170 hp seems way too much.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
You can run on the diesels or on the electrics. However, it is mostly a diesel boat. The electrics will only take you 20 miles.

Not sure what the advantage to a hybrid drive in a boat is. In a car you can use the electrics for surge demand and still get reasonable performance from a smaller engine. Trawler type boats cruise at a constant speed and don't really need surge power.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Seems it’s biggest claimed advantage is electrical power management. Solar for bright sunny days, engine for propulsive power and battery top up when less sunny or night electric draw. Not really meant to be electrically powered except for maneuvering in harbors at max speed of 4 knots. I like the idea of electrical maneuvering power due to infinite propeller rpm range from 1 to max. Regular diesel with gearbox of 2:1 ratio gives minimum prop rpm of 400 at engine idle.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
You can run on the diesels or on the electrics. However, it is mostly a diesel boat. The electrics will only take you 20 miles.

Not sure what the advantage to a hybrid drive in a boat is. In a car you can use the electrics for surge demand and still get reasonable performance from a smaller engine. Trawler type boats cruise at a constant speed and don't really need surge power.
Twenty miles is good for many get home situations. A get home engine probably far cheaper.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Guru

Bump...

It's claimed the Greenline 33's fixed stabilizer fins are "break away and easily replaced"...does anyone know how they are fixed to the hull?
Old 04-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Some type of epoxy. There is a recess in the hull where the fins fit in, sort of like plugging them into a socket. I know somebody who knocked one off going at speed, not realizing he was in shallow water. Fin floated, so it could be retrieved...and eventually re-installed.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Some type of epoxy. There is a recess in the hull where the fins fit in, sort of like plugging them into a socket. I know somebody who knocked one off going at speed, not realizing he was in shallow water. Fin floated, so it could be retrieved...and eventually re-installed.
Ahhh...thanks!

I read somewhere that they could support the boat while grounded (intentionally) so a pocket/socket/indentation makes sense.