Old 04-08-2021, 03:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Ahhh...thanks!

I read somewhere that they could support the boat while grounded (intentionally) so a pocket/socket/indentation makes sense.

You are correct! I asked that question many years ago when I was on the telephone with the factory (after-sales support). I was told that the fins can support the boat in the case of "intentional grounding". They did point out, however, that one must be certain of the bottom conditions before attempting this (i.e. confirm it's something FLAT and hard-ish). Anything else could pose a risk to prop/shaft/rudder.

I have not actually tried this myself, but knowledge that it's possible has given me confidence to try some tightly-timed passages over mud-flats in tidal waters that I otherwise would not have tried.
Currently in: Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Monterey Bay
Vessel Name: Swan Song
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Has anyone had experience with the Greenline 33?

I'm interested in its hull, specifically the shallow draft, the semi tunnel protected prop, and the rigid fins placed well aft.

Shallow draft appeals to me for sneaking into thin water, tunnel props don't make the stern squat as low (or the bow rise so high) when extra power is applied, and those fins are the only ones I've seen placed so far aft.

The smallest engine seems to be 170hp, which seems kind of big...not much room in the engine 'compartment' and having a 50hp or 60hp option would make it easier to work on and extend the range significantly, or free up more diesel for heating in cold climates, etc.

My ballpark guess is that a 60hp engine would get a gallon or less per hour at 7 knots and be able to cruise easily at 10 knots. That's plenty fast enough for me.

https://www.greenlinehybrid.si/yacht/greenline-33/

Photo of fins:

7kn in a GL33 @ 1gal/hr is not a realistic figure regardless of engine output, IMO. In my boat with the 165 TDi VW diesel with a relatively small displacement of 2.5L, 7kn burns 1.6 gal/hr. @ 2000 RPM (2:1 reduction) - well up in it's torque curve. A similar weight sailboat might, as the GL is dragging an 11' wide submersed transom with much turbulance at that speed, as all trawler types do. She does burn only 1 gal/hr @ 6kn, 1600 RPM. Still, at 7kn the range on the 132 gal. tank with 10% reserve, is about 540nm, falling to about 360nm @ 8kn/2.6 gph. 10kn burns about 4.75 gph. and over half the 165hp engine's max consumption of about 8.5 gph. So don't think 60 HP would get you near 10kn.

My max speed is about 13.5kn @3850 RPM - won't quite get to the VW's 4000 RPM peak - so maybe 155HP.
PeterB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:59 AM   #23
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
For what it's worth, I wrote a little bit about my fuel consumption experience with my GL33 in the posts below:

Note: The "early" GL33's (2010-2011-ish) have a 430 liter total fuel capacity, whereas the newer GL33's have 500 liters.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tml#post967949
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...s-53210-2.html
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...aps-55856.html
Currently in: Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote